Notices

fat

Old 02-26-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

fat

I can't believe I let alcohol ruin my body so badly... I looked at a pic of me before the drinking an I was so hot .. now im thirty pounds heavier with a double chin an no neck.... I came home an got on my treadmill lol hope I loose this weight ..
Old 02-26-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It'll take time, but you can do it!!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure you can get back to looking how you want to look Toni

Not drinking again has to be the first step tho
Old 02-26-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel the same sometimes. I kinda feel like woke up from a 15 year blackout. Who is that in the mirror! Stay good to your body and you might be surprised how much you can reverse.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have 10-15 lbs of alcohol weight to lose as well.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

one step at a time
I had about 10-15lbs too of unwanted wine weight. My face was bloated, skin was crap, hair limp and dry...I get the vanity thing, I used to model. Looking in the mirror was my least favourite thing to do for a very long time, I didn't recognize that reflection at all.
Walking has been my saviour in sobriety. don't worry, with some hard work and dedication and staying away from the booze, it'll get there
Old 02-27-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile weight

i craved sugary foods for about 2 months eating stuff I wouldn't normally eat like biscuits and cakes. Just replacing the sugar from beer. After a couple of months I started replacing it with healthy foods and have lost all the weight i put on. Exercise is good anyway so go for it!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Remember. It's a life style change. Pace yourself, don't get over work and skip the scales. Just focus on being consistent go get it!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I expected to lose the weight I'd gained from beer and wine immediately from quitting. There were a lot of posts on here in which folks lost vast amounts of weight in that first couple months (and from a logical point of view it makes sense - alcohol has a lot of calories). Sadly, that is not how my body has reacted to quitting drinking. I haven't gained any weight, but haven't lost more than a pound or two, and I just passed the 6 month mark.

I've food journalled, and I know I'm eating healthily and not in excess. I walk my pup daily.

What I decided this week (as I evaluate where I'm going in these next six months of sobriety), is that what this tells me is that with my particular metabolism, this (where I am right now) is my body's chosen weight. I have been at this exact weight for a very long time, and this is apparently my "set point." Even through weeks in which I juiced and mostly ate veggies and proteins (I did three weeks of perfect paleo last month), I only lost a couple of pounds, and as soon as I expanded into what would be a "normal" diet for me, they were right back.

So, do I keep feeling disappointed with myself and the way I look? How do I move through this feeling?

My AV has even used this information against me (and I don't have a particularly active AV, although he is relentless and quite clever), trying to convince me that I might as well give up sobriety, because it hasn't made me prettier and I lost the ability to use alcohol to soften my self-consciousness...

To argue back, I tell myself that my body is normalizing, that I have also quit cigs (a lifelong habit) and so the loss of nicotine also is impacting my weight, and that if this is really important to me, I will have to do MORE than my daily dog walks. I am getting older, and can't just drop weight as I used to. If I really want this, I'll have to add considerable exercise to the mix. I can't make my diet much healthier, but could eat smaller portions. That's really all I can do. If that doesn't help me lose weight, I will have to do the work to feel beautiful and content in the body I've got in my sobriety.

My dissatisfaction with my weight makes me want to use (the easy road to weight loss). This is a dangerous feeling for me.

I don't have lots of extra time (I work full time +, am involved in community volunteer commitments, do 12 step meetings). With the one to two hours a day already set aside for walking/hiking, I don't know where the extra intense exercise time is going to come from.

Sorry to rant, but I think about this issue a lot lately. I'm frustrated. Just know that you're not alone. I figure I have to just keep adjusting my lifestyle until I love myself and my life. Feeling un-beautiful is not good for my self-love, and could possibly de-rail my recovery, so this is something I need to keep trying to figure out...
Old 02-27-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think you are doing great! Try this: 3 days a week do 20 mins of fast paced excersize, get your heart rate up and stay consistent. 3 days. 20 mins. 40 sqauts. 40 wall push-ups. 10 mins of cardio. You'll feel great. Push through it. You can do it