Notices

Back to Work?

Old 02-26-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to Work?

Good Morning everyone,

I was just curious about those of you who are back to work or who had to keep on working during early recovery and how was the experience. I am five months sober. I was very lucky and was able to get three months off. Back at work now two months and must admit myself a little slow still (but then again very lucky of having such understanding and supportive employers.) was wondering when this feeling of fog would finally disappear. my drugs of choice were adderall and alcohol a lot and for a long time...

Wishing you a beautiful day

Old 02-26-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I don't think I was giving my company peak performance my first couple of months. But it had to be better than what they were getting when I was actively drinking and hungover.

Don't let yourself get overwhelmed. That was key for me.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had one week off and that was spent in a detox facility. I went right back to work after. I had no choice. There was nobody to cover me longer. I run the office, I have nobody but me so there was pressure there, I have no doubt I would have been let go had I pushed for more time.
That being said, I was glad to go back. I needed the distraction and incentive to stay sober. That's just me though and where I was/am. Some people may have needed more time to adjust, I needed to just resume my life and start putting the pieces back together. Have I had days where I was bitter/angry/depressed about being the only one there and the pressure that comes with it? hell yah.
I haven't missed one single day or been late OR screwed up since last May when it happened...so I guess it's going ok
I do hate that I cannot call in sick though without it being a huge thing (the wife of the boss has to cover for me and she doesn't like it)

I even did 6 weekends in jail last summer, showing up to work Monday, bright eyed and bushytailed. My employer has NO clue I did that. They knew the DUI. They knew detox. But they didn't know it was my 2nd offence and I spent 6 weekends in jail.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think what you're going through is common. Foggy brain, I've read, can last for several months, although it gets better over time. I'm still wrestling with it and anxiety, although the depression I felt is totally gone. Like others said, be kind to yourself and allow plenty of time for rest and recuperation. I've found going on walks helps tremendously too.

Hang in there!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

walking is my saviour.
Now, if this darn cold arse weather would pi$$ off, I can resume that!!!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I don't think I was giving my company peak performance my first couple of months. But it had to be better than what they were getting when I was actively drinking and hungover.

Don't let yourself get overwhelmed. That was key for me.
Good point doggoncarl. Thank you.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the replies