Notices

No tolerance!

Old 02-25-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No tolerance!

Hey everyone,

I'm newly sober and consider myself very lucky in that I have friends which are either sober or are not excessive drinkers and have been great in supporting me.

However, I have diagnosed mental health problems and have previously drank to take the edge off. My family have many problems with depression and anxiety and alcohol and drug abuse.

Since getting sober, I feel like my tolerance for anyone trying to make me feel bad about myself is completely unacceptable. Basically, I feel like my tolerance of negativity has gone way down.

I am trying so, so hard to be in a positive place and I feel like I'm making big steps towards recovery.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips to deal with family members that are caught up in their own substance abuse problems? I don't want to try to fix them anymore or recommend therapists etc, I just want to continue on my own journey without feeling disheartened every time I talk to them.

Thanks loves.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there and good on you for taking positive steps towards recovery. Apart from not drinking, what else are you doing for your own personal growth? Mindfulness meditation, exercise and healthy eating are some great ways to work on your level of contentment. To stop and recite the Serenity Prayer while actually taking the words in, is helpful I find. You don't need to use the first word if thats off putting, the rest of it is just as powerful as a personal mantra of sorts.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

consider going to the forum "family and friends" of alcoholics. Maybe one of the Monitor could help you out a bit more. Ask D (just a suggestion)
Old 02-25-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure what help you're alluding to, airwick? the link?

The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com

I can share my experience anyway

I had a toxic family situation. I had to walk away for a while....The negativity was just eating at me...and my part in the whole drama was I would blow up...

so I walked away for nearly 2 years with only irregular phone contact...I cam back a lot more self -assured...what they said didn't bother me nearly as much and they didn;t do it nearly as often..

I think absolutely you have a responsibility to yourself and your own well being

D
Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ya**!

I agree with D. Sometimes the best decision is just to walk away and live your own life in order to have a greater perspective. Once we have that, it's not as easy to get pulled in to that same old toxicity.