Notices

A often missed advantage to not drinking.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Oh yes, Melinda, good point. The teeth that I have left are shocking, yet I have no genetic predisposition to bad teeth. No doubt it was from all the cocacola that I would drink when I moved on each session from beer to Jack Daniels. Also, vomit is very acidic so throwing up eats away at tooth enamel.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great post! I agree, & I think this is the most important point:

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post

Something that I don't see a lot of mention and is equally rewarding—all that hard-earned cash staying in your pocket. If you figure your actual savings by not drinking, it becomes amazing. Not just the cost of alcohol, but all the fringe benefits that tag along
This is where the magic happens. The indirect savings you accumulate from improved behaviour/better choices are immense, & they add up quickly.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have a sobriety app that tallies up how much you've saved since your sober date. You put in how much you spent a day. Seeing the total is... Sobering.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When i drank, I would also often gamble . . .

Feeling in control of finances is a huge benefit indeed.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've lost a lot of money, cell phones, debit cards, also I ruined clothes, forgot sunglasses, crashed cars, paid fines... So that money goes to actually living now.

Every day that I manage to stay sober I put away a small amount of money in a savings account, and with that I get to buy things I don't really need, but do want. It keeps me focussed, and while the pile of money is growing slowly I do think about what I want to buy, take the time to maybe change my mind, or wait a bit longer so I can get better quality stuff. Knowing I won't break it being careless. It feels awesome to give myself treats that I actually feel I deserve.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

GREAT POST CREEKRYDER!!! For me the basic pattern was:

alcohol (£££), drugs (£££), cab (£££), cancel work next day (-£££), get a takeaway delivered 'cause I couldn't get off the sofa (£££), and repeat.........

A few years ago I inherited some money from someone who worked very very hard for it. I could have bought a small flat somewhere, but I didn't. I drank it, and I put it up my nose. I can't change that, but I CAN decide on the choices I make TODAY.

Thanks for the post, it's another tool we can all use.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Very 'sobering' post!

Great post Creeky since the very beginning I have transferred the wine money not spent to a separate account and boy does it mount up. It's currently paying for my gym membership so a bit of a double whammy for me as at last I am losing weight! Today I gave my son and daughter £50 to have a nice meal out using the wine fund and it felt really good :-)
Old 02-25-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobermax View Post
When i drank, I would also often gamble . . .

Feeling in control of finances is a huge benefit indeed.
Ugh, the sports gambling while drunk. I blew a significant chunk of money that way. Very happy to be in control and spending money on myself instead of giving it to online sports books.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I added it up when I stopped drinking/drugging- I spent easily enough to have bought my own house over the years -about £250,000 GBP.

Instead, I live in social housing...
Old 02-25-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

By the time I quit I was spending around $650 per month on wine!
Old 02-25-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Oh yeah. My ATM is very lonely.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Creekryder, I calculated that I was spending (conservatively) at least $100 a week on alcohol and nicotine before I quit. Each week I now put that amount into a savings account, we use that money for all sorts of big purchases that we all enjoy, things that we thought we could never afford. Currently I have 3K in the savings account, I'm thinking of blowing it on an airfare for an upcoming b'day, then again I may just enjoy it being in the account.

We work for ourselves, we don't earn much each week but we have heaps more since I stopped wasting it. I have never factored in pain medication, medical costs etc. My savings are based on the bare cost of what I spent on alcohol and nicotine. In the last -- almost -- two years I have stopped wasting 10K.