Notices

The Impossible: 1 Year Sober Today!!!

Old 02-24-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Impossible: 1 Year Sober Today!!!

Hi All,

I know I'm bragging. I can't express how amazed I am that this day has come!

My first and last drinks, at ages 10 and 30, respectively, were transformative experiences. At age 30, I'd been in AA for 2+ years as a daily gut rot vodka drinker. I had a sponsor, called them often, followed most suggestions, and I couldn't stop drinking for more than 5-10 days. My drinking had gotten worsened past what I'd ever imagined. I was suicidal. On 2/19/14, I'd checked into a hospital detox for the 1st time with severe withdrawal. I was drunk again within an hour of being discharged on the morning of 2/23/14 and delivered back to the hospital that afternoon. I was hopeless and beaten. I wanted the madness to stop, but doubted it would.

I did not go to a 30-day program. I poured myself into AA. I found a sponsor/drill sergeant, never lied to him, and admitted to when I struggled. I wanted to drink and I talked about it. I still talk about it, when those thoughts occur. I, an atheist, prayed every day to whatever power keeps alcoholics sober ("Please help me stay away from a drink or drug. Please help me to stay sober! Guide my thinking and action. Thy will not mine be done."). I did and continue to attend daily meetings, found a home group, and have made coffee every Tuesday for that group. I travel to other AA meetings, jails, and detoxes with that group. I call my sponsor, daily. I make it a point to never forget who and what I am. It's gotten easier to stay sober. If I continue to do what I've done in this first year (I plan to), I believe I can stay sober, indefinitely, 24 hours at a time.

My accomplishment really isn't mine. I just followed the direction of sober members of AA, and it worked. For me, AA and recovery are action, not thinking programs.

Today, I'm celebrating, but I'm not graduating. Today, I'm amazed at the power of AA and recovery.

THANK! YOU!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

WOOTAH!!!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are not bragging!!! You are celebrating and you deserve it.

Well done!!!!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

this isn't bragging, it is celebration.

Well done!

#soberliferocks

Old 02-24-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One Year is amazing my friend! You should be very proud!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

YEE-HAW!!!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations! This is an incredible accomplishment and you deserve to be really proud of yourself. Being in early recovery it's always helpful to see and hear from people who are further along in their recovery, doing well, are glad that they stopped using/drinking, and are happy being clean/sober.

Treat yourself to something special today!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats 29! That is a huge bar to cross!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Fantastic news, and feel free to toot your own horn, it's a heck of an accomplishment!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You are an inspiration.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Realising my life

'Celebrating, not graduating' - I love that!

I hope you're smiling, though, as you so deserve it!

Well done, my friend
Old 02-24-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations, you definitely inspire me to keep going
Old 02-24-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrLofg0029 View Post
Hi All,

I know I'm bragging. I can't express how amazed I am that this day has come!

My first and last drinks, at ages 10 and 30, respectively, were transformative experiences. At age 30, I'd been in AA for 2+ years as a daily gut rot vodka drinker. I had a sponsor, called them often, followed most suggestions, and I couldn't stop drinking for more than 5-10 days. My drinking had gotten worsened past what I'd ever imagined. I was suicidal. On 2/19/14, I'd checked into a hospital detox for the 1st time with severe withdrawal. I was drunk again within an hour of being discharged on the morning of 2/23/14 and delivered back to the hospital that afternoon. I was hopeless and beaten. I wanted the madness to stop, but doubted it would.

I did not go to a 30-day program. I poured myself into AA. I found a sponsor/drill sergeant, never lied to him, and admitted to when I struggled. I wanted to drink and I talked about it. I still talk about it, when those thoughts occur. I, an atheist, prayed every day to whatever power keeps alcoholics sober ("Please help me stay away from a drink or drug. Please help me to stay sober! Guide my thinking and action. Thy will not mine be done."). I did and continue to attend daily meetings, found a home group, and have made coffee every Tuesday for that group. I travel to other AA meetings, jails, and detoxes with that group. I call my sponsor, daily. I make it a point to never forget who and what I am. It's gotten easier to stay sober. If I continue to do what I've done in this first year (I plan to), I believe I can stay sober, indefinitely, 24 hours at a time.

My accomplishment really isn't mine. I just followed the direction of sober members of AA, and it worked. For me, AA and recovery are action, not thinking programs.

Today, I'm celebrating, but I'm not graduating. Today, I'm amazed at the power of AA and recovery.

THANK! YOU!
Obviously not, in fact, impossible, is it?

Bunnez
Old 02-24-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations on a year and many more to come

Old 02-24-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Earth Child

YAY
Old 02-24-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 02-24-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations! That's great! Toot your own horn. Why not? You've done the work.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bunnezjp View Post
Obviously not, in fact, impossible, is it?

Bunnez
Definitely not impossible. I had a lot of lifestyle safety nets built in during the worst of my drinking, but speaking only of the way I drank... If I can get sober, anyone can. It's the hardest and most rewarding endeavor of my life!
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Congrats! Your story is like mine. All I did was follow the directions and do what the people with long term sobriety did. This simple plan continues to work for me
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your year!