Notices

newbie needs help

Old 02-24-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newbie needs help

Hello. I am new here and basically need help. I need to quit, everymorning I say to myself that Iis it but by the evening that all goes outthe windows . It's a routine I'vegot myself trapped Iinto. What tips/tricks is the to change this please. How do I take my mind off it.

The ks for your help
Old 02-24-2015, 02:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi pitsea, other people with more experience will be around shortly (I'm new like you) but I just wanted to say hi and welcome. SR is a great place and has already been helpful to me. There's a lot of support here for you and a lot of knowledge too. Hang in there and good morning :-)
Old 02-24-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome. How long have you been sober and how are you finding it. I know it would be tons better to be alchol free but it hard to break the habit
Old 02-24-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! When i first stopped drinking i had to completley change my rountine, keeping busy, avoiding any triggers (people and places) that were associated with drinking also helped me initially. Having a support network and reaching out to other people when i felt tempted to drink helped me tremendously. You will find tons of support, encouragement and helpful advice here. Hope you stick around!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you. I will stick around as I want to get through this. Just take it one day at a time
Old 02-24-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi pitsea - when I quit I used this place - a lot.
There's a ton of support here, night or day

why not check out our Class of February support thread?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-6.html

D
Old 02-24-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When evening comes make sure you eat early and keep your stomach full. Have a plan to preoccupy yourself with something different from what you normally do everynight and finally stay close to here and read lots.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you pitsea
Old 02-24-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi pitsea

This site is a brilliant place to come for help and support. I've found this message thread a great help as it lets me take on my recovery in bite size chunks http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-41-a.html

If your member name has a relation to your home town - I've found going and walking helps. While it's not the best time of year for Watt Tyler country park (if it's still called that!) maybe pop on a train to the sea front and have a stroll up and down there enjoying the fresh air etc may help. (If your name bears no relation to your locality then that manes nothing to you !!! :-D )
Old 02-24-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
When I stopped drinking I didn’t know what I didn’t know until I started attending AA meetings.
I learned that I needed to get honest withmyself about MY drinking and accept the fact I could no longer drink in safety.
I learned that the obsession/thinking about drinking led me to the first drink which led to the compulsive addictive drinking more and more.

The short of it is to think about not drinking instead of drinking and not having the first drink one day at a time in a row so we don’t have to try to stop drinking AGAIN.

It takes time to get better mentally and emotionally so I went to many meetings for my benefit and got active in the program. Part of my salvation was going to a LOT of meetings.

Certainly reading a lot of posts here is very helpful.

BE WELL
Old 02-24-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like what Tyler park it's nice there. I'm going g to start going to the gym of an evening
Old 02-24-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi pitsea,

This forum has been a great source of support for me. Quitting is hard and a big lifestyle change but if you want anything bad enough you can do it.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So did you all set a date to start or just one day thought that today is the day?
Old 02-24-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There is no time to quit like right now. If you set a date for the future, who knows what can happen between now and then, right?

Change up your routine. If you stayed home at night, go out, walk, movies, shops. Meet a friend for coffee. Learn a new craft or take a class. The gym is a great idea. At home, clean the place out, straighten, organize or sit on the couch and watch a good movie.

Always have a plan for if you go out, especially when you socialize. Avoid places that will make you want to drink, and avoid people who will make you want to drink until you feel strong enough to be in those situations.

Remind yourself of why you are stopping and take inventory each day of what is better. Because it will be better.

Best to you, and come here as much as you need to read and post.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Pitsea, I went through a vicious bender last winter. The way I quit (because I thought it was the only safe way) was to taper for ONE DAY, that's it. From there I hung on by a threat detoxing. Phones turned off, doors locked, food and gatorade at the ready, and probably was reading on the internet 18 hours a day. Reading kept my mind occupied until I was tired. Once I was through the withdrawal process, I vowed never to do that again. So far I have not, but I still struggle on weekends. I joined this site to try and get over that final hump.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your replies. I'm sure i can do this but it just takes time.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi pitsea,

One of the best pieces of advice I received in AA if you are an everyday drinker, is to just go ONE day. Just one. It helps break the cycle.

Do whatever you need to do to make it just that one day. Then slowly you can start making it more days after that.

It worked for me. I did whatever I had to just go ONE evening without alcohol.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Welcome
Old 02-24-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

What have you tried? What is your current plan?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
totfit

Make a commitment to do something else when you would normally drink. Make a commitment everyday. Eat a good meal, exercise, exercise and did I say get some exercise. Read a book, take a class, volunteer to help out somewhere. Find some things to do that you have an interest in that drinking would prevent you from doing. Drinking puts us in a cage where we truly can't experience what life has to offer. Once you start doing other things and "living", then drinking may just become the nonsense to you that it really is.