Notices

day 14 today :)

Old 02-23-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 14 today :)

Hey everyone!

I was posting on SR about 3 months ago but my laptop broke so I haven't been able to use the site for a while. I got a new laptop today and Im really happy to be able to use SR again

Today was day 14 for me. This is the longest I have stayed sober since I started trying to quit about 5 months ago. So I am pretty excited to be on the right track. I know that it is easier to stay sober then to get sober and when I relapse it takes a while before I get on track again. So really want to stick with it this time and give myself the chance to improve my life and find happiness.

One thing I have noticed is when I was drinking I had no interest in deserts or candy. My alcohol was my "desert" and there was plenty of sugar in that. And when I was drinking I craved salty things and meat. Now that I am not drinking I have really been enjoying sweet things. Calorie filled deserts that I never ate when I was drinking. But I am gaining weight and I am already over weight to begin with. Its almost as if I am replacing my alcohol abuse for over indulgence in deserts. I have been letting myself do this because at least I am not drinking. But it is not something I can continue. I am going to need to work on balance and moderation.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

a couple things, congrats on 2 weeks,

let's hope your sobriety is not dependent on your lap top working.

dessert - two 'S' - think I'll have two pieces of pie

desert - one 'S' - sandy

so turn the dessert into a desert - and keep it dry!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have put on 6 pound since stopping drinking 22 days ago. Addiction transfer is a recognised 'thing'. My drinking got worse after I had a gastric bypass.

After 22 days of eating sugary stuff I'm nipping that in the bud and will start eating more healthily.

Well done on 14 days :-D
Old 02-23-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on 14 days. I understand the sweet craving, as I also have it.. some kind of blood sugar sensitivity I think. One reason it was hard for me to stop at 2 or 3 drinks.. unless I had dessert after the dinner with wine..

Sweets are better than drinking, but they will also keep your cravings going.. so if you can, try to reduce and eventually eliminate sugar. I still have a little on most days but it's usually something slightly healthy, like apple pie without added sugar.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It'sJustMe - I had gastric bypass in 2002 but didn't develop an alcohol addiction until 6 years ago. Wine every night (1-2 bottles), but then I quit for 17 days last year. Do you mind if I ask a few questions? How long were you drinking for, and did you have any bad symptoms that really freaked you out that made you decide to quit? I have gastro issues, insomnia when I try to quit, crushing anxiety the next day after drinking, heart palpitations occasionally, etc. All of that stops when I take a drink. I honestly never want to drink again. I have lab work coming back on Thursday to see how much damage I've done and I'm terrified. Just wanted someone to talk to who knows what it's like to have had gastric bypass and became an alcoholic...Thank you for reading!
Old 08-09-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

14 days is fantastic! Keep it going.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 14 days!
Old 08-09-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congradulations on 14 days!

I had gastric bypass in 2010 and became an alcoholic. I rarely drank until after I had surgery. It started with a glass of wine at night. Then that progressed very rapidly.

By 2014, I was an every day, all day drinker. I was drinking a 5 liter box of wine a day. I have a few friends who had gastric bypass and the same thing happened to them too. My problem was that I was an emotional eater. After surgery, I couldn't use food any longer to self-medicate. So I started drinking. Alcohol went down much easier than food.

Plus, with gastric bypass, you absorb alcohol quicker than a normal person.

I had to go to rehab, and I'm soon to be 10 months sober. Hang in there! It's hard, but so worth it. You'll be so happy you did.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

14 days is awesome, don't worry about the sweets right now. Once you get used to not drinking it balances out. One thing at a time

I once ate a gallon of ice cream during my early days. I was sick to my stomch all night and into the next day. Know what? It was no where near as bad as being sick from drinking a 12 pack during the same time frame.

I fill up on real food now, and have energy to be active so things balanced out. So it will be for you too I suspect.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job on 14 days!

I am the same way: when I am drinking I always turn down sweets and prefer salty foods. Whenever I quit is when I start getting a stomach for sweets again. I'd say it's pretty common.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sweet. Just one more week and you can break the habit.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 2 weeks
Old 08-10-2015, 01:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm glad you made it back!
Old 08-10-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done man , KEEP GOING , and I'll hopefully join you there soon!
Old 08-10-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No No I take that back , I meant to say , I WILL join you there soon!