Notices

New and Scared

Old 02-23-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and Scared

I just want to be a good mom/woman/wife/person without feeling like i need to fix my anxiety with alcohol or other things. Ive tired anti depressants, anti anxiety meds(which feel really good when i take with whiskey and beer) essential oils, a little bit of working out (not as much as I should, I'm sure) Alcohol(whiskey), has been the only thing that makes me feel normal. No worries, just relaxed. I don't want to be this way. I am 30 years old and have never been addicted to anything besides cigarettes and caffeine. What the hell is happening to me.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, hasby; you will find support, encouragement and understanding here. Glad you found us.

Many of us have turned to alcohol to self-medicate anxiety or depression only to discover that one tends to fuel the other and there we are - caught in the vicious cycle of addiction.

The good news is that the cycle can be broken; we can leave addiction behind us.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome hasby.

I thought drinking was helping me cope too. I found out many years later that it just added to my anxiety. It wasn't relaxing me - it was numbing me - in a very unhealthy way. We need to live our lives with eyes wide open and clearheaded. Wish I'd realized that at 30! Congratulations on making this big change. We're so glad you joined us.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome hasby.

I thought drinking was helping me cope too. I found out many years later that it just added to my anxiety. It wasn't relaxing me - it was numbing me - in a very unhealthy way. We need to live our lives with eyes wide open and clearheaded. Wish I'd realized that at 30! Congratulations on making this big change. We're so glad you joined us.
Same here.

Welcome!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi hasby

yeah alcohol was the only thing that made me normal too - I didn't realise what that said about how addicted I was...

there's a better 'normal' really...you'll love it

D
Old 02-23-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I'm also one that used alcohol to medicate my anxiety, but in the long-run it made things a lot worse by messing up my neurochemistry. Confronting what was the root cause of my anxiety (some long-term bad emotions and mental habits) helped things start to improve.

Hang in there!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I self medicated with alcohol. It really does just make the anxiety/ depression worse. It's sneaky like that. Here to support you!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi hasby, welcome to SR.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome ,Hasby.

You will find many people here who understand you and tons of support.

Glad to have you with us.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The problem with using alcohol to treat anxiety is that at first it works. Eventually though you'll come to depend on it and then it will turn on you and make what was once a very simple treatable condition 100 times worse.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, i used to drink when i felt anxious and then i ended anxious all the time because i was drinking. Alcohol undermined my ability to cope with life, once i stopped drinking i learned new healthy ways to cope with stressful situations and i now rarely if ever get any anxiety at all. I think you will find that you will be in a much better position to cope and manage anxiety if you remove alcohol from your life. You will find so much support and encouragmet here to help you along the way. Glad you found us!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yup, worked for me and then it didn't. Found it hard to quit and wanted something as quick and convenient as alcohol. There is no such thing. There are however life skills and practices that work well and shared by most of us here. Stick around, peruse and post. We all found the medicine eventually turned on us and are finding sustainable ways to live sober. You will too.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Hasby its nice to meet you
Old 02-24-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Hasby. I drank to cope with anxiety and depression too. I've found that for the most, my depression and anxiety were caused by the drinking and the seemingly never ending cycle of hangover, withdrawal, drinking more. Once I stopped, so did the anxiety. It isn't a hundred percent gone, but it's manageable.

I had to learn new skills to deal. I cut out almost all caffeine. Especially smoking, coffee and an empty stomach. It's a learning process and takes time but I feel more "normal" than I've ever felt. You can do it. Stick around here.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome. I hadsome depression and anxiety as well and it got worse for a bit after I stopped but it's getting better now. Yoga helped.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Hasby!!