Notices

need a drink..or six

Old 02-23-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need a drink..or six

Physically and mentally drained. I seem to have severe vertigo to the point of almost passing out. I'm failing my classes & will probably have to withdraw due to missing too many classes and such. I went back to work this weekend, but got sent home after nearly passing out. I got medical bills to pay now & Im already stressed finicially. Canceled my vacation to visit family because I'm feeling too ill. And worst off my friend's mum offed herself. Im so overwhelmed and lost and I really want to drink even though I know it only makes things worse. I just feel like my life has gotten a million times worse since trying this whole sober thing.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know it can be hard to pickup the broken pieces of our lives.
But also know that the only way for things to get better is by continuing the sober journey.

20 year of drinking has built up a huge pile of crap on my life. I won't be done cleaning it in 20 days.

Keep pushing, never give up!
Old 02-23-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You don't 'need' a drink, you 'want' one, and that's different. Don't drink. What you need is to stay sober. No matter what happens.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

. . . and alcohol will fix everything? those failing classes and finances?

It gets better, but we gotta push through the initial stages to the better times.

Have you seen a Dr over not feeling well? that may be a way forward!! Hang in there!!
Old 02-23-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a lot of 'tests' when I got sober too Dinos - Looking back I see know life was always a challenge drunk or sober.

you can either stay sober and learn to deal with the tough times...or go back to drinking and deal with nothing....eventually you'll find yourself back here again at the need to quit stage.

Use the support here. You can get through this

D
Old 02-23-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

The start of anything is the toughest time. Give yourself some slack, breathe deeply and remember, alcohol will NEVER fix anything but it can sure make a wreck of everything.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi drinkingdinos... I'm not sure how much of a help I can be because I am in a very similar place to you, but I just wanted to let you know I understand how hard it is when you're not feeling well, when you have medical bills piling up, when you feel like your life is falling apart and all you want is to drink or use because you're desperate to just feel better. When I first posted here a few days ago someone told me there's no problem that drinking or using can't make worse. I know how hard that is to believe, even if in our minds we know it's true. I hope the support here on SR can help you get through today without drinking. And I hope that things start to get better for you.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
. . . and alcohol will fix everything? those failing classes and finances?

It gets better, but we gotta push through the initial stages to the better times.

Have you seen a Dr over not feeling well? that may be a way forward!! Hang in there!!
Logically I know the alcohol won't solve those problems. It'll only create more. I just don't want to deal with life. I don't want to feel the stress or pain right now and i know alcohol will do that for me. A temporary fix.

I've been to the Dr twice already, got put on some meds that are giving me awful side effects. I go back in 2-3 weeks.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi DrinkingDinos

At the beginning of this thread you said you were suffering severe vertigo, to the point of almost passing out.

That's definitely something you should get checked out, if it is sudden onset vertigo then something must be causing it. Is that what your meds are for?

I have vertigo - not to your extent - but I know you can't function if its that bad

I was prescribed something called Cercs and the side effect wore of after a while

I know its tough, your doing well - keep hanging in there
Old 02-23-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Hi DrinkingDinos

At the beginning of this thread you said you were suffering severe vertigo, to the point of almost passing out.

That's definitely something you should get checked out, if it is sudden onset vertigo then something must be causing it. Is that what your meds are for?

I have vertigo - not to your extent - but I know you can't function if its that bad

I was prescribed something called Cercs and the side effect wore of after a while

I know its tough, your doing well - keep hanging in there
The vertigo didn't start til after I stopped drinking. It comes and goes, but its bad when its here and it gives no warning. My meds are for anxiety actually and I think the one might be making the vertigo/dizziness worse. I'm trying to give the meds a chance to kick in and hope my body will adjust soon.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by drinkingdinos View Post
Physically and mentally drained. I seem to have severe vertigo to the point of almost passing out. I'm failing my classes & will probably have to withdraw due to missing too many classes and such. I went back to work this weekend, but got sent home after nearly passing out. I got medical bills to pay now & Im already stressed finicially. Canceled my vacation to visit family because I'm feeling too ill. And worst off my friend's mum offed herself. Im so overwhelmed and lost and I really want to drink even though I know it only makes things worse. I just feel like my life has gotten a million times worse since trying this whole sober thing.
I've also had vertigo since stopping drinking...to the point it was making my panic attacks even worse. However it has faded to almost not being there and I feel a lot better these days. Did you have it when you first stopped or when out on the med? How's your sleep been? That was a problem for me and getting a sleep aid was a huge help.

Sobriety is hard at first but as your body and mind get on the right path (and they will), you'll be glad you stopped drinking.

Hang in there!
Old 02-23-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Give the meds time to kick in, as you said, drinkingdinos. Alcohol might interfere with that process. Alcohol is often contraindicated for anti-anxiety and anti-depressants.

Hang in there; keep moving forward even it is difficult. I have heard others here say that the only way out is through.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You don't need a drink. It just feels that way.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plure View Post
I've also had vertigo since stopping drinking...to the point it was making my panic attacks even worse. However it has faded to almost not being there and I feel a lot better these days. Did you have it when you first stopped or when out on the med? How's your sleep been? That was a problem for me and getting a sleep aid was a huge help.

Sobriety is hard at first but as your body and mind get on the right path (and they will), you'll be glad you stopped drinking.

Hang in there!
It makes my panic attacks worse too! Any idea on how long I can expect the vertigo to hang around? Im 25 days sober & i was hoping id be in the clear by now. Its really affecting my work life. The vertigo started for me directly after I stopped drinking. My sleeps been the best I've had in a few months, but its still pretty bad. I take melatonin and ativan to sleep at night and even then sometimes I wake up throughout the night. I know I'm being impatient and I'm expecting too much too soon from my body. I guess its just discouraging sometimes & I wonder why I ever stopped in the first place if I have more problems after quitting. Thanks for the encouragement though..
Old 02-24-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you seen a Dr about it?

D
Old 02-24-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have you seen a Dr about it?

D
Been to the Dr twice (2 different drs actually) and the ER once. Not entirely sure what my next step is. I go back to the Dr in 3 weeks for a quick check on my meds. Not really sure what to do til then. If I screw up again at work I'll probably be fired or something and this is my dream job.