Notices

A "Get Well" Job. Any thoughts or experiences?

Old 02-23-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A "Get Well" Job. Any thoughts or experiences?

So my last attempt at sobriety involved me spending half a year down in SoCal, going through rehab, then sober living. My councillors there stressed the importance of getting a "get well" job, to get help with my transition back into the swing of things. Well I did it, and stayed sober for another 3 months after getting home, but eventually, the job got boring, allowed me too much free time and little accountability. I now believe I stayed in it too long and got complacent in sobriety, and started feeling unfulfilled and negative about my current position. Drinking and using ensued.

This time around I do not have the luxury of rehab, but I actually think I am doing better with the support of SR, self care, and focus on health and family. I quit my job, got separated from my wife (divorce pending), and committed to sobriety all at the same time in early Dec 2014, approaching 3 months clean and sober. This time feels so different, I have a commitment to sobriety that I have never felt before. I am starting to feel better physically, but am now faced with a mental funk.

Thinking of where to start at rebuilding my life is overwhelming, but I know I need to move forward. Is a "get well" job something that makes sense in your opinion? If so, any ideas of a good low stress entry level job? I feel that my old proffession has been ruined by all my drinking/using, overtime I revisit it I just feel its tainted and I have no desire or drive to pursue it. My creativity just isn't there, I feel totally flat (I was in the music business). I want to explore further education by returning to University but that would not start for another 6 months. I thought I'd just get outta my head for a bit, haven't posted in a bit.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Could you find a job on the campus of the university you will be attending? Many of them have student positions that will work around your class schedule. There is usually a pretty wide range of things going on a college/university as well to perhaps spark your interest.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety! It sounds like your on a good path. Do you have anything that motivates you, or something you enjoy doing? I know it's hard, but it's well worth the journey!

~Ducktapetherapy77
Old 02-24-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds like the "get well" job was more or less "busy work". Just something to keep you occupied for a time. Perhaps look for something a little more challenging? Maybe find some organization that could use your expertise and put in some volunteer time. There are public broadcast radio and television stations. Just an idea. Get some experience working there as a volunteer until you return to school.