SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Why can't I sleep? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/36020-why-cant-i-sleep.html)

NancyEllen 08-14-2004 10:29 AM

Why can't I sleep?

14 days clean and I still can't sleep. My doctor told me to take Tylenol PM (that didn't work) or benedryl (that didn't work either). I have been taking unisom and I didn't fall asleep until 6:00 this morning. Doctor said to call her after three weeks clean. I may call her on Monday. :squint: Is this a normal symptom or is it just me?

Thanks,
Nancy

Dan 08-14-2004 10:34 AM

Hi Nancy, and welcome to SoberRecovery!
A lot of those over the counter sleep aids can actually have the reverse effect and stimulate you. Can you provide any other details? What drug did you give up?
Our bodies and minds go through a big change when we stop using and drinking.
Sleep patterns can be disrupted for many weeks for many individuals.
Glad you're here:biglaugh:

NancyEllen 08-14-2004 10:43 AM

Hi Dan,

I gave up drinking beer in the evening. It helped me relax and fall asleep. I think you are right about the over the counter drugs stimulating me. I think that is exactly what has been happening. Tonight I plan to go to sleep on my own. We will see what happens. Thanks for the reply. I am glad I found this site.

Nancy

Dan 08-14-2004 10:49 AM

You're welcome Nancy.
I remember using those sleep aids to no avail.
My favorite poison was alcohol, in industrial quantities:biglaugh:
Even lesser amounts, ingested on a daily basis, can make your body go Whoa! when you stop. Try some relaxation stuff, a hot bath, herbal tea, a long walk...
Sleep does return in time.

Anna 08-14-2004 10:57 AM

Hi Nancy,

Welcome!

Dan is absolutely right. I can't take any of those kinds of things - gravol, cold medicine, sleep-aids - all of them stimulate me and keep me awake all night.

Insomnia has been a problem of mine for years and I've tried just about everything. Some people find the herbal remedies work well - valerian is one that relaxes people. But, you have to be careful about the side effects. Aromatherapy can work. I have lavender oil and I put a drop on my pillow and it's very relaxing.

I also think that your body is still adjusting to not having alcohol. You may see an improvement in the next couple of weeks.

Love, Anna

NancyEllen 08-14-2004 11:07 AM

Yeah, it's time for me to break the alcoholism chain, at least for my own health. My mom stopped drinking in her 70's, she is 83 now. My daughter is drinking a lot at night. Her father drinks heavily. My brother starts drinking in the morning and continues the entire day and evening. Everyone in town has been talking about him because he owns his own business which services customers and he isn't servicing the customers. I am pretty sure he goes through at least a half gallon of vodka a day if not more. So I know my tendendacies and I made a commitment to myself to push away from the alcohol and start feeling. 14 days isn't that long but I will continue to try to stay sober as each day comes along. BTW, I pushed away from my mother during the last couple of months because she has insisted that I try and save my brother. I am not super human and can't possibly save him (believe me, I have tried). He was in the hospital a lot last year diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. Doctors told him if he continues to drink he has very limited time on this earth. He continues to drink. Sorry, went off on a tangent. Thanks for listening.

Nancy

NancyEllen 08-14-2004 11:10 AM

Anna,

Thanks for your kind words.

Love,
Nancy

tinker30 08-14-2004 11:11 AM

I find making myself so busy to the point of exhausted.. Walk and walk and walk until you feel pooped.... or clean out the garage - mow the lawn- wash the car you'll sleep good then--

Dan 08-14-2004 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by NancyEllen
BTW, I pushed away from my mother during the last couple of months because she has insisted that I try and save my brother. I am not super human and can't possibly save him (believe me, I have tried).

Yep. Can't do anything about a person with a shot liver that continues to drink. It's in his hands, and his hands only. Good decision on your part Nancy. Alcohol is certainly prevalent around you it seems.
I want to congratulate you for two weeks of sobriety, in such difficult circumstances. Don't minimize your effort in this.
It's good that you're aware that the only drinking problem you can actually fix is your own.

DJBucs2005 08-14-2004 11:35 AM

Yes, someone who gives up drinking may experience insomnia, and you seem to be experiencing it. Did you give up alcohol all together or no? Even if not, I admire you for being strong, and I ESPECIALLY admire you if you did give up alcohol all together.

I suggest that you just continue to be strong, and continue to come here to these boards for moral support and help!

NancyEllen 08-14-2004 11:57 AM

DJ, gave it up altogether.

TorontoGuy28 08-14-2004 04:44 PM

Congrats on your two weeks Nancy !! Stay strong.

For me, the first 2-3 weeks are always the hardest...

Alcohol is a bad friend that just keeps callling you to go out.

MootPoint 08-14-2004 05:03 PM

Congrats on your 2 weeks, Nancy. They are quite an accomplishment.

I drank half a 1.75 litre bottle of vodka per day. I am not awake enough to convert that to Standard. Suffice it to say, it was a bunch.

You can't save your brother..... the only person you can save is yourself. And it sounds like you are well on your way.

Re sleep...... it took me about a month to get a sleep cycle down. I, too, drank for sleep. I, too, tried benadryl..... zilch. Tylenol pm..... zilch. Melatonin (supplement)........ zilch. A couple others that I can't remember..... zilch. I had to weather it out and wait. But it was worth it.

Have you thought of AA? Might help, can't hurt :)

NancyEllen 08-14-2004 05:42 PM

I don't know anything about AA. Never thought about going. The last time I gave up alcohol was 4 years ago. I was sober for 3 months (done that before too). Anyway, I thought I would just have a glass of wine at a relative's birthday party. That's all I had but the next day, I had another glass of wine and so on and so on. I haven't had anything but wine and beer in the last 17 years but I know my history and shouldn't have anything at all. I have you guys in the back of my head now...which is a good thing. I told a relative today that I haven't been sleeping and she said why don't you just go back to drinking beer so you can sleep. LOL!! Thanks for the replys and support. Nancy

NancyEllen 08-15-2004 06:14 AM

Didn't take any sleeping aids last night. Had a really good night's sleep. The over-the-counter drugs obviously were acting as stimulants as you all said. Thanks for the advice. :laugh2:

KelKel 08-15-2004 07:50 AM

Hi NancyEllen
Congratulations on 2 wks.
And on sleeping well last night, that will help your outlook alot.
I admire your wizdom in deciding to stop drinking and for realizing that you can't do anything to save your brother...sorry about him and the liver damage.
I am sorry that I did not get to visit with you more last night in chat,
I appreciate your understanding.
So glad you are here, looking forward to getting to know you.

NancyEllen 01-30-2011 04:55 PM

I can't believe I found this site again!!

And I reread this thread of posts. Wow!! I just can't believe how proud I was of my two weeks of sobriety!! It is now 6 and a half years. I am so very very proud of that.

I am back because of my brother again. I will start a new post for that!

Nancy

Anna 01-30-2011 04:59 PM

Nancy, I just reread this thread you brought up and wow, it brought back memories.

I am so glad you're doing well with your recovery.

NancyEllen 01-30-2011 05:12 PM

Hi Anna! I know...it brought back memories for me too. I am so glad I found this site again. It helped me tremendously with my first months of sobriety. I take melatonin to sleep and I have since someone on this site told me about it years and years ago.

How are you Anna? You have been an Admin for a very long time on this site!

Ghostly 01-30-2011 05:13 PM

WB Nancy! Congrats on the 6 and a half years! That is awesome.

Hope you get the answers you need for help with your brother. That can be a difficult situation.