SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/360053-hello.html)

JMZ 02-21-2015 08:44 PM

Hello

I`m 47 and have been drinking since 7th grade . I woke up this morning thinking, having beat tobacco ( Copenhagen Snuff ) years ago I might be able to quit drinking. I found this website from a Google search trying to see what other people thought was harder to quit , tobacco or alcohol.

I rarely ever drink Monday -evening Friday , but Friday night SAT and Sunday I usually drink if not riding motorcycles . Never been in trouble for drinking but I know its like Russian Roulette . One DWI and I lose my job . I also have a son wanting to go to college next year and figure that might be a good reason to quit . ( dwi = lose job) .

trachemys 02-21-2015 08:55 PM

So, quit.

Not being simplistic but, that's it. You want to quit, quit.

ScottFromWI 02-21-2015 09:03 PM

Welcome JMZ. If you think quitting would better your life, give it a shot. You will find lots of support and info about the different ways to quit, and stay quit here.

esinger 02-21-2015 09:03 PM

Old habits are hard to break but if you can make it Mon-Fri what's a couple more days? If you think it's turning into a problem quit before your thoughts become reality. Sure wish I had.
By the way, Nice to meet you JMZ.

JMZ 02-21-2015 09:57 PM

thanks , I`m not fooling myself , I do realize that this wont be easy at all. I forgot to add that I had quit for two years in the middle 90`s because I was on anti seizure medicine . It seemed easier not drinking around my friends because I had an excuse not to drink. Even for a while when I got off the medicine before starting back up drinking it wasn't bad .

Mags1 02-21-2015 10:08 PM

Hi JMZ welcome to SR. You will find lots of help here if you decide to quit.

The rewards are great, once stopped drinking and for you there is a goal of your sons college future to aim for.

I'm unsure which is the hardest to stop as I didn't smoke though my husband stopped smoking and on the surface he found it easier than I did with alcohol.

The good thing is it does get easier the longer you don't drink.

retiredusaf 02-21-2015 10:15 PM

Which was easier, tobacco or alcohol? Easy. Alcohol because it was destroying my family, among other things. I smoke on the porch so it does not "destroy" my children with 2nd hand smoke. My drinking and fighting with my wife was destroying them, even if they didn't realize it.

Dee74 02-22-2015 12:48 AM

I found many excuses not to drink - I hated the person I'd become drunk, and I hated the years I'd wasted...I mourned the good things and good people my addiction had taken from me and I wished I did not have to deal with the deleterious effect my alcoholism had on my health.

there are plenty of good reasons to stop JMZ - welcome to SR :)

D

PurpleKnight 02-22-2015 03:55 AM

Welcome to the Forum JMZ!! :wave:

Soberwolf 02-22-2015 05:46 AM

Welcome JMZ nice to meet you

Zebra1275 02-22-2015 06:06 AM

welcome to SR!

JMZ 02-22-2016 04:48 PM

Just made one year Saturday :celebrate Thanks for all the replies . Especially the " just quit " reply. At first it kinda made me mad but after I kept thinking about it I believe it has helped me. Sorry I haven't posted more often but I stay pretty busy with motorcycle riding and aggravating people on a few motorcycle forums .

Dee74 02-22-2016 05:02 PM

hey congratulations JMZ :)

D

Anna 02-22-2016 05:06 PM

Thanks for the update and congratulations on your recovery.

least 02-22-2016 05:11 PM

Congrats on the first of many sober years. :scoregood

Lorax1981 02-22-2016 05:52 PM

Right on!

Bunny211 02-22-2016 06:17 PM

I don't think anyone questions whether or not they need to put down the drink unless they know, deep down, they NEED to put down the drink. If you question whether you have a drinking problem rest assured, you do. Normal drinkers don't find themselves here. They just don't, This is a great place. We're all here to help and support each other. Welcome!

SoberLeigh 02-22-2016 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by JMZ (Post 5810615)
Just made one year Saturday :celebrate Thanks for all the replies . Especially the " just quit " reply. At first it kinda made me mad but after I kept thinking about it I believe it has helped me. Sorry I haven't posted more often but I stay pretty busy with motorcycle riding and aggravating people on a few motorcycle forums .

Congratulations, JMZ!!!!!!

Hevyn 02-22-2016 06:24 PM

What wonderful news, JMZ. :) Glad to hear from you.

Soberwolf 02-23-2016 04:47 AM

Wonderful news congratulations on reaching a year