Notices

On My Way

Old 02-22-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
I am only in it for the ravioli...well that and I just plain like you.
I'm no chef, but will offer any ravioli advice that I can. Just ask.

Thanks for your support and while it's been many years since I've been in your neck of the woods I have fond memories of it being is such a beautiful part of the world.

Stay warm.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks! Will look there, Della. And Gonnachange, sorry about being so open-ended; story of my life.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

It was a heat wave today 23!!! It is a beautiful area that I at times take for granted till someone reminds me.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tokidoki View Post
Thanks! Will look there, Della. And Gonnachange, sorry about being so open-ended; story of my life.
No need to be sorry. I'm just a regular guy who tries to get a healthy dinner on the table each night. After 35 years I've learned a trick or two that I'm more than happy to share.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Smile

Come and cook for me any time Gonnachange
Old 02-22-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Come and cook for me any time Gonnachange
I love cooking for friends and family. Next time you're in northern New Jersey let me know. I've cooked for friends I've met on the internet many times.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Well, okay then. I was just in Minneapolis with my Peruvian friend who lived in N Jersey for years. I am very tempted to take you up on the offer, but don't fear...
Old 02-22-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Well, okay then. I was just in Minneapolis with my Peruvian friend who lived in N Jersey for years. I am very tempted to take you up on the offer, but don't fear...
We can always share recipes.

Off to bed; going to make it an early night.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I had a good night's sleep last night, but have really been struggling today. Headache, thirsty, jittery, elevated heart rate, and shortness of breath for most of the morning and the symptoms have only recently started to abate. UGH! All I really want to do is have a drink, but I'm not going to. So far, in addition to work, I've been eating, hydrating, went to the gym to lift, went on a two mile walk, and now I'm here. I've also spent some time in the kitchen making a pot roast/beef stew for tonight's dinner. Seems like an appropriate meal since it's going to get down to -3F tonight. As I usually do I'm making many portions so I'll freeze most of it and have some easy, tasty, and healthy dinners in the future. For tonight I'm also making mashed cauliflower, think mashed potatoes. My wife is trying to significantly reduce her carbs at dinner so if she stays away from the potatoes that are being simmered along with the beef she'll have virtually none tonight. Better yet, the beef and cauliflower were on sale.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Mashed cauliflower is fantastic; never would have believed it but, after trying it, I'm a believer.

sorry your morning got off to a rough start, Gonnachange; glad to hear that the day has improved.

-3, yuck.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Mashed cauliflower is fantastic; never would have believed it but, after trying it, I'm a believer.

sorry your morning got off to a rough start, Gonnachange; glad to hear that the day has improved.

-3, yuck.
I was a little skeptical about the cauliflower, but yes it's quite good. It's a very versatile vegetable; since I have two more in the refrigerator I may make a pizza crust with one of them later this week and at some point roast the other. Same veggie, three completely different tastes.

I just read an updated forecast saying we're going to -4F tonight. About 90 minutes ago I spoke with my son in Newark, DE and he said it was going to be 0F on the UDel campus tonight. Definitely cold, but my daughter takes the grand prize. It's going down to -15F tonight where she goes to school.

Thanks about the day; I'm in one hour at a time mode and doing the things that I know are beneficial to me getting through the day.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

The cauliflower dish sounds wonderful. Up here in the driftless zone it was -15 (?) this morning. Anyway, the idea of hearty root vegetables and soup is... Yeah, have a great evening.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

The cauliflower dish sounds wonderful. Up here in the driftless zone it was -15 (?) this morning. Anyway, the idea of hearty root vegetables and soup is... Yeah, have a great evening.
Yes, it's a very fitting meal for a night like tonight. Not so much in the middle of August. :-)

Damn, that's cold. Earlier today I had an email exchange with a buddy of mine who lives in the northern Michigan and he said it was minus 28F this morning so he had no sympathy for me. Don't blame him.

Cravings

I can't get them out of my mind so I think I'm going to make it a very early evening. This is not fun, but thanks to the SR community I've been weathering the storm.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I was going to suggest roasting too. I love cauliflower in all forms, including raw, but roasted is my favorite.

Hang in there.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
I was a little skeptical about the cauliflower, but yes it's quite good. It's a very versatile vegetable; since I have two more in the refrigerator I may make a pizza crust with one of them later this week and at some point roast the other. Same veggie, three completely different tastes.

I just read an updated forecast saying we're going to -4F tonight. About 90 minutes ago I spoke with my son in Newark, DE and he said it was going to be 0F on the UDel campus tonight. Definitely cold, but my daughter takes the grand prize. It's going down to -15F tonight where she goes to school.

Thanks about the day; I'm in one hour at a time mode and doing the things that I know are beneficial to me getting through the day.
Man, last I heard it was going down to 6; I am trying to avoid the weather forecasts.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyOrNot123 View Post
I was going to suggest roasting too. I love cauliflower in all forms, including raw, but roasted is my favorite.

Hang in there.
I agree, roasting until you get some carmelization on the florets makes for a very tasty dish.

You hang in there also; no matter what I'm getting this year you guys have had it worse.

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Man, last I heard it was going down to 6; I am trying to avoid the weather forecasts.
None of my business where in the state you are, but a six degree variation is very plausible. Regardless, the temps are cold so stay safe and warm.

Tonight

Finished dinner and will do some online reading then hit the hay. Tough day, but I'm going to be okay.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Let me know how the pizza crust turns out.I have tried the mashed and lived them but have never attempted the crust.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Let me know how the pizza crust turns out.I have tried the mashed and lived them but have never attempted the crust.
There's no mistaking it for a bread crust, but if someone is looking to cut carbs and calories it's a fine alternative. I'm off to bed, but I'll send you the recipe tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Getting through the day. Again. Going to bed early last night helped me deal with yesterday as did my run this morning help me with the first few hours of the day.

Work is keeping me occupied and I'm also in the process of making chicken soup. It's going to be the basis of dinner tomorrow along with a rye bread that I'll bake tomorrow. There likely will be a salad involved. Tonight I'm making boneless pork chops in a paprika cream sauce with a side of roasted Brussels sprouts. I'm modifying the pork recipe slightly because I usually reduce a dry white wine; tonight I'm going to use some of the soup.

Okay, I'm starting to feel better.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I have to come clean: I had a couple of drinks last night. Literally two and while I know it was foolish to have anything, especially on a weeknight, the positive is that I capped my consumption and was in bed before 10 PM. So I'm pretty much in the same situation as last week when I did the same thing. I'm not condoning my decisions last night, but honestly if I can limit my consumption to two drinks per week I'd be fine with that. The problem is that I'm not sure I can and I know for me it's easier to have none than one so my goal is zero. And I'm going to redouble my efforts to do just that today despite some agitation and annoyance about last night and some anxiety about a really foolish thing.

For Christmas my wife got me a one hour deep tissue massage and the appointment is for today. For reasons that I can't properly articulate, I'm really stressing about it. Silly, right? The whole purpose is relaxation and I've spent far too many hours doing the exact opposite. I've spoken with my wife a couple of times about my feelings, the last time being last night, and I could tell that she really couldn't grasp why I am feeling the way I am. Can't blame her, I don't know either. So, I'm going to keep my appointment and while I fully expect to have a positive experience I'm going to be dreading and stressing for the next few hours. Silly.

Geez, it's so much easier to post in my thread when I have positive things to write about so I'll end on a high note. I got a good night's sleep and had a killer (for me) workout at the gym this morning.

Sorry for all I've let down.