SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   On My Way (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/360036-my-way.html)

Soberwolf 02-21-2015 05:16 PM

Ive never made my own ravioli that dish sounds delicious mrs sw loves ravioli so definatly post the recipe bud i think i need a pasta machine might have to invest now

argh now im getting hungry lol i have trouble when good food starts getting mentioned lol

Gonnachange 02-21-2015 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi (Post 5215997)
Hi!

New thread!
I got my groceries :-)
Not sure what I'm going to cook yet.
My AV was pestering me a bit, but I'm stronger than it is today.

Jshobdhi, being stronger than our AV is the goal. Being here helps tremendously. Can't wait to read about what you eventually cooked. No pressure. :-)

Originally Posted by Magellan (Post 5216042)
I care, I've been following you closely. You are sooooo much like me :)
We can do this, if we want.

And we want to. If you're like me then you have a lot of good going on in your life. That's great and I hope that we both can overcome our issues and live a long and happy life.

Originally Posted by Della1968 (Post 5216162)
I care because you are interesting and also I like food!

Della, thanks for being such a consistent supporter. Yes, I write about my struggles, but I also find it therapeutic to write about other aspects of my life. Clearly cooking is a passion.

An Early Night

It's a little past 8 PM on a Saturday and I'm ready to grab my book and head to bed. Dinner was great, but before temptations come around I'm heading upstairs.

I'm not sure how much time I'll have to post or read on SR tomorrow; I'm going to brunch and a Broadway show with my cousin and before that I'll likely have to shovel six inches of snow.

Stay warm and safe SR community.

Gonnachange 02-21-2015 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by soberwolf (Post 5216281)
Ive never made my own ravioli that dish sounds delicious mrs sw loves ravioli so definatly post the recipe bud i think i need a pasta machine might have to invest now

argh now im getting hungry lol i have trouble when good food starts getting mentioned lol

Too tired tonight and tomorrow is uber busy, but I'll send something in the next couple of days.

Della1968 02-21-2015 05:26 PM

Have fun! What show are you going to see?

SW I want a pasta machine too! This from the girl doing low carb lol!

Gonnachange 02-22-2015 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by soberwolf (Post 5216281)

There are probably as many ways of making pasta as there are people and even I switch it up somewhat by using different recipes and different flours. Also, it's difficult to give precise measurements because there are so many variables such as the size of the egg, humidity, moisture in the flour, etc. Fortunately, it doesn't take long to recognize the correct feel. This is the basic recipe I used yesterday:

1 cup durum semolina
1 egg
about 1 tablespoon of water.

I threw the first two ingredients into a food processor and then added the water. In about 30 seconds a ball was formed and I let the machine run for another 2-2 1/2 minutes. I then separated the ball into four smaller ones and let them rest for 20-30 minutes before rolling them out in my Marcato Atlas pasta roller machine. FYI, the whole process can be done by hand if you're someone who likes to knead and use a rolling pin.

If you want more details just let me know.

Originally Posted by Della1968 (Post 5216300)
Have fun! What show are you going to see?

SW I want a pasta machine too! This from the girl doing low carb lol!

We're going to see Larry David's A Fish In The Dark.

Today

I'm having some anxiety about sitting in the middle of the row in the theater today. I'm fine with aisle seats, like the one I had last weekend, but being cramped in the middle really doesn't do it for me. I hope I'm able to calm down and enjoy the show.

Della1968 02-22-2015 07:13 AM

I am an aisle person myself maybe it will be so good you won't even realize you are in the middle!

BernieE 02-22-2015 07:24 AM

I love Larry David's crazy point of view and wit. Hope you're so wrapped up in the show that you don't notice where you sit.

Gonnachange 02-22-2015 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Della1968 (Post 5217248)
I am an aisle person myself maybe it will be so good you won't even realize you are in the middle!

Originally Posted by BernieE (Post 5217259)
I love Larry David's crazy point of view and wit. Hope you're so wrapped up in the show that you don't notice where you sit.

Thanks guys. Sure hope that's the way it goes. I had a similar situation last year when we saw Kinky Boots and although I was eventually able to calm down, at various points during the play I would experience waves of anxiety/claustrophobia. It's quite embarrassing and certainly diminishes my enjoyment of the production.

We're going to the same place as last week for brunch and I'm going to employ the same strategy of getting a virgin Bloody Mary as my beverage that is included with the meal.

PurpleKnight 02-22-2015 02:40 PM

Keep pushing through Gonnachange!! :)

Gonnachange 02-22-2015 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Purpleknight (Post 5218189)
Keep pushing through Gonnachange!! :)

Thank you. I had my virgin Bloody Mary at brunch so I stuck with my game plan.

A cruel "trick" was played on me because when we went to get seated our group of six had an aisle seat and it was given to me. Hooray! Unfortunately we were not in the right seats and had to move and I was placed in a middle of the row seat. My anxiety was heightened, but due to calming techniques and the help of my friends I was able to deal with the situation. A little embarrassing, but I was with friends who have seen this before and I was able to calm down and enjoy the show. Clearly having anxiety about being squished into a Broadway theater seat is a first world problem so I'm no in any manner complaining, just sharing my thoughts.

My wife was home when I got back and although I'm typing away here we spent some time catching up on our respective weekends and will do more of the same one I'm finished here.

SoberLeigh 02-22-2015 04:36 PM

Good to hear you had a nice time. Gonnachange.

'first world problem' - that made me chuckle.

Della1968 02-22-2015 04:46 PM

Yay!!!

Gonnachange 02-22-2015 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 5218491)
Good to hear you had a nice time. Gonnachange.

'first world problem' - that made me chuckle.

Originally Posted by Della1968 (Post 5218519)
Yay!!!

You guys are so supportive of me and I truly wish I could somehow give some payback.

SL, that's one of the phrases I use to help me rationalize what's going on around me and to calm down. Today it helped me remind myself that I'm safe, I'm with friends (and usually my wife, but not today), and I'm in a B'way theater by choice spending money I can afford. I can't always push the anxiety away by thinking like this, but it's generally an effective technique for me.

tokidoki 02-22-2015 05:15 PM

Hey Gonnachange! Just need to say that I support you unconditionally. Your honesty has been my inspiration. Must admit that I am still on the road, but trying to build my sobriety muscles. Okay, important stuff... I'm from MN and just got back from "the cities" as we call it.. Anyway, had the best ravioli ever (lobster ravioli)... Incredible. I frankly cannot make pasta at home, but if you have any ideas about making the best simple Italian dishes, I'd appreciate hearing about it. I'm sure you're not busy with anything else (stupid sarcastic laugh here), but if you have any ideas or suggestions--would appreciate it.

Della1968 02-22-2015 05:31 PM

He makes lovely things

Have you seen the recipe thread??

Gonnachange 02-22-2015 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by tokidoki (Post 5218622)
Hey Gonnachange! Just need to say that I support you unconditionally. Your honesty has been my inspiration. Must admit that I am still on the road, but trying to build my sobriety muscles. Okay, important stuff... I'm from MN and just got back from "the cities" as we call it.. Anyway, had the best ravioli ever (lobster ravioli)... Incredible. I frankly cannot make pasta at home, but if you have any ideas about making the best simple Italian dishes, I'd appreciate hearing about it. I'm sure you're not busy with anything else (stupid sarcastic laugh here), but if you have any ideas or suggestions--would appreciate it.

Thanks for posting here. I'm still struggling with my sobriety muscles also and often have to take it one hour or less at a time. As for honesty, I don't see the point of writing here if I'm not. Yes the eff ups are hard to write about, but knowing that I'm going to have to do so adds a big layer of accountability.

Getting to the important stuff, your question is too open ended for me to answer; be more specific and I'll do all I can to help. That written, making raviolis is a three step process. Number one is making the dough. Number two is making the filling. Number three is making the ravs. Okay, I guess it's really a four step process because they need to be cooked.

Once the dough and filling are made I have two methods of making the raviolis. One is laying out a sheet of pasta, putting a dollop of filling in the middle, folding the sheet of past over the filling, crimping around the filling to remove any air pockets (very important), and then cutting. The other method I use is a tray like this
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Ravioli...=ravioli+press

If you want any more info please let me know.

Gonnachange 02-22-2015 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Della1968 (Post 5218677)
He makes lovely things

Have you seen the recipe thread??

I just joined that yesterday.

Thanks for your kind words and continual support.

Della1968 02-22-2015 05:42 PM

I am only in it for the ravioli...well that and I just plain like you.

tokidoki 02-22-2015 05:46 PM

Have not seen the recipe thread. Where is it?

Della1968 02-22-2015 05:49 PM

Toki it's in Cafe Central