Notices

On My Way

Old 04-08-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

I am but when she sees how witchy I get on long car rides we probably won't be close anymore!! Plus we are leaving on Sun so I am extra mad about that.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
I am but when she sees how witchy I get on long car rides we probably won't be close anymore!! Plus we are leaving on Sun so I am extra mad about that.
Leaving on a Sunday, which cuts into your personal time is maddening. As for the ride, bring water (or the beverage of your choice), car friendly food, and request frequent stops to stretch your legs, break up the monotony, go to the bathroom, etc. You can do this!
Old 04-09-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

MY plan for tonight:

I'm flying solo because my wife has a business dinner. I made some chicken and spinach raviolis this afternoon that I'm going to top with parmagiano reggiano, garlic, black pepper, and EVOO. Salad on the side. After that I need to spend some time reading; my book club book is tomorrow night and I still have about 120 pages to read. My drink of choice is going to be club soda.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff GC
Old 04-09-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Good stuff GC
Thanks SW.

The act of writing stuff like that out gives me a little extra incentive.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Yum she will probably be sorry she isn't there for dinner.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  
quat

Whatcha reading?
Old 04-09-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Yum she will probably be sorry she isn't there for dinner.
I made more than I could eat so there's some for her. The reason I made them tonight is because she's trying to minimize her carbs at dinner so this was an "opportunity" for me. I froze the rest so they can be cooked for a lunch in the future for her or another dinner for me. :-)

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Whatcha reading?
Ghettoside by Jill Leovy. It examines the black on black homicide epidemic in Los Angeles in the earlier part of this century, what steps the LAPD and community took to combat it, and the obstacles they encountered. She highlights a few different detectives and cases and vacillates between those micro stories and the broader narrative. I'm finding it an interesting read and I believe it will be well received tomorrow by our group.

Da Book

I've read about 100 pages tonight and have 30 more to go so I'm going to finish the book and then jot down some notes for tomorrow's discussion.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  
quat

Ah , you mentioned that before . I ve only read true crime twice and both fairly recently, but varied subject matter. Dark Market about cyber criminals, and The Devil in the White City , interesting book about a serial killer and the concurrent World Expo in Chicago 1893.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Ah , you mentioned that before . I ve only read true crime twice and both fairly recently, but varied subject matter. Dark Market about cyber criminals, and The Devil in the White City , interesting book about a serial killer and the concurrent World Expo in Chicago 1893.
I really like Erik Larson. The Devil in the White City was the first book of his that I read, and my favorite. I've also read In the Garden of Beasts, Isaac' Storm, and Thunderstruck. He either just published or is about to publish another book that deals with the sinking of the Lusitania.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Leaving in about 45 minutes for my book club. I had a rough morning with some unpleasant physical symptoms, but I made sure I hydrated and made it to the gym for an okay workout. And didn't listen to my AV that a drink would help calm me. No, no no! Tonight should be smooth; there are a couple of guys who don't drink so I won't be "sticking out." Even if I would be, the outcome would be the same. Club soda or water for the win!
Old 04-11-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Checking in before hitting the hay. Stuck with my plan last night and me and my wife were up early to run 5 miles this mornign. Tonight was a club soda/water evening before, during, and after the concert. Our overseas guests are arriving about 10:30 tomorrow AM and the "locals" are showing up about 2. Locked and loaded for entertaining tomorrow.

Good night SR.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Hi Gonnachange. I disconnected for a while but coming back I am glad you are still working on your progress. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

It's been a whirlwind few days, but it all went well and it was fun. I had no problem sticking with club soda during my party on Sunday, but did have a glass of wine at dinner last night. That was it; I had no desire to seek out additional glasses or anything else to drink and tonight, as well as the evenings to come, I plan on sticking to my new normal of water or club soda.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Can I just say I am not a fan of this part of Jersey.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Can I just say I am not a fan of this part of Jersey.
That does not surprise me. There must be a reason why I live within 30-40 minutes and have never been there or pretty much to that general area other than to pass through on a nearby highway. It's also why I was so surprised when you wrote that you had a work conference there.

Are you on your way home soon? If not, how much longer will you be there? Hopefully your experience will improve, but there's no getting around that it's not a pretty area.

Tonight

My wife's at the gym, where I'll be tomorrow AM, and although our next scheduled party isn't until Mother's Day on May 10th I'm already starting to put together a menu. Even for me this is crazy, but the important thing is that I'm very content drinking my club soda and have no cravings for alcohol. Part of the reason I'm starting this tonight is because since finishing my book club book I don't have a current read and oddly don't feel like hanging and listening to music. Now that is very odd.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

We leave Fri about 4. It is HUD training at the housing authority here. I administer housing subsidies. Definitely will not push to come back here! You should become a caterer!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

We leave Fri about 4. It is HUD training at the housing authority here. I administer housing subsidies. Definitely will not push to come back here! You should become a caterer!
I don't blame you for wanting a nicer venue.

As for the cooking and hosting, thank you for your kind words. I'm not going to deny that I can get a nutritious and tasty meal on the table for whatever the crowd size is, but all that physical and mental effort comes from knowing that I'm cooking for friends and family I know and love. Add in to the equation that I like what I do professionally and have no appetite (pun intended) for taking on the risk of opening a restaurant or catering facility, I'm very happy keeping things they way there are and will be hopefully retiring in a few years.

Blatherings

Kept to my game plan so going to bed sober. All is good on that front and I know that some who read my earlier post about having a glass of wine last night were shaking their heads, but to be honest I'm not beating myself up for it. Full disclosure always with respect to that.

Tomorrow is a big day and not because it's the day that income taxes are due in the USA. Years ago my wife and I promised our kids that we would fund their college educations and tomorrow I'm making my final undergraduate payment for my daughter. I still have two more years for my son and then there is graduate school for both of them, but we've never made any assurances about funding that so while there will certainly be discussions in our collective future I feel as if a large ($57000 US per year) burden has been lifted from my shoulders after tomorrow's payment.

WFT does this have to do with SR? Maybe nothing and maybe a lot. The stress of keeping my promise to my kids is huge and as we all know as stupid as it is, often in the short term drinking relieves the stress, but it's a long term loser of an approach. That's why I brought it up. And while I know that this isn't the best forum to state it, I feel comfortable writing that the one glass of wine I had yesterday, the first taste of alcohol in about a week, is something I can live with. Nothing more than club soda or water tonight and I'll be moving some iron tomorrow AM.

Tired, but sober and soon to bed.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Been one of those trying days. I thought I had a good night's sleep, but I woke up very anxious and the feeling hasn't left me. To make matters worse, I started on a six mile run this morning, but my breathing was so bad that I had to stop after about a mile and walk home. So what should have been a positive turned into a huge negative. When my breathing isn't right my anxiety rises which negatively impacts my breathing which.....an absolute negative feedback loop.

Days like this are ones where my AV smells a wounded adversary, but I know that whatever's going on drinking is not going to make it better, only worse.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hey GC you done seriously well today

Got more Ox cheeks today starting a slow cook at 5am tomorrow for 6pm friday eve

Have you had Ox cheeks before ?

Congrats on getting through