Notices

On My Way

Old 04-06-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Happy easter GC spk soon bud hows your day going friend
Day was fine. A little sad in the beginning because my son had to go back to college, but the party was fun and I stuck with my plan of only water and club soda.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

My work day is over and since I'm reheating leftovers for dinner I have a little time to write. Yesterday's party at my SIL's was easy, but I know that situations like that, especially when I know I have to drive, are not my problem. Nights like tonight are, but unlike last Monday when I had a drink I'm not going to tonight. Getting back to yesterday, I wasn't the only one going sans alcohol and whether or not anybody noticed or cared that I wasn't drinking nobody said anything and nobody offered me a drink. My plan going in was to be totally forthright if asked or offered, but since nobody did either I didn't see a reason to make a proclamation. I thoroughly enjoyed myself; was sober; took many family photographs; drove home without a worry about getting a DWI, which I've never gotten; and I woke up feeling fine. If there's a downside to all of that I'm not sure what it is. :-)
Old 04-06-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry you miss your son you are awesome
Old 04-06-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Sorry you miss your son you are awesome
Thanks for your kind words although I'm not sure I'm worthy. That written, I try to do my best, which is usually pretty good.

Regarding my son (and my daughter when she leaves) it's what I call the parental paradox. I miss them because we have a great relationship and I write that as the disciplinarian of the family. My wife and I have spent a tremendous amount of time trying to raise them to be self sufficient and confident adults. And I truly believe we've done a great job with that. But that also means that they are now forging their way to independent lives that aren't centered around mom and dad. Macro picture I'm very happy; micro, such as when they leave, I'm saddened, but I know they are each going back to their respective college campuses where they are happy and they're continuing on the path of their life goals.

One major thing that mitigates the emotions of when either of them leave is the ease of communication. Between cell phones and internet based programs like Skype keeping in touch is easy and cheap. Nothing like when I was in college in the late 70's. Freshman and sophomore years I lived in a dorm with about 75 kids and one pay phone. Wanna call home, get your quarters handy. :-) I speak to each of my kids almost every day and even when my daughter spent her previous academic year on your side of the Atlantic we frequently talked and skyped without costing me a mortgage payment. Bottom line, it's all good.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope you have had a nice day GC
Old 04-07-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Hope you have had a nice day GC
Thanks and the same to you. Nothing of note going on, mainly working, but I did manage to get a 4 mile run done this morning. I also had to take a quick trip to the supermarket and while there noticed that there were nice looking flounder fillets on sale so I bought some for tonight. Dinner is going to be:

Pan seared flounder with a lemon butter sauce
Cucumber and tomato salad with a dill dressing
Old 04-07-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
a
One major thing that mitigates the emotions of when either of them leave is the ease of communication. Between cell phones and internet based programs like Skype keeping in touch is easy and cheap. Nothing like when I was in college in the late 70's. Freshman and sophomore years I lived in a dorm with about 75 kids and one pay phone. Wanna call home, get your quarters handy. :-) I speak to each of my kids almost every day and even when my daughter spent her previous academic year on your side of the Atlantic we frequently talked and skyped without costing me a mortgage payment. Bottom line, it's all good.
I had to chuckle as I was recently telling my 10 year old about being on a dorm floor with 50 women and one pay phone in college. She could not wrap her mind around it!

I especially loved the dry erase boards we all had on the outside of our doors so that phone messages could be left if we weren't there.

Inevitably good news would be left in the tiniest font..
"Your chemistry teacher called you got an A"

While earth shattering news was left in billboard size letters…
"Your date called, can make it, his car broke"..
Old 04-07-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I had to chuckle as I was recently telling my 10 year old about being on a dorm floor with 50 women and one pay phone in college. She could not wrap her mind around it!

I especially loved the dry erase boards we all had on the outside of our doors so that phone messages could be left if we weren't there.

Inevitably good news would be left in the tiniest font..
"Your chemistry teacher called you got an A"

While earth shattering news was left in billboard size letters…
"Your date called, can make it, his car broke"..
So true! Somehow we survived. :-)
Old 04-07-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Been reading here with not much posting. Off to read and then go to bed. Thanks my SR friends for supporting me through another day.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Hi there do you know anything about Perth Amboy?
Old 04-08-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Hi there do you know anything about Perth Amboy?
Nothing specifically although it's only about 30 miles away from me. I have a friend whose mother lives there, so if you want any specific information I can ask her. What do you want to know?
Old 04-08-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

I have to go there for a work seminar next week. Wondering about restaurants and such Thanks
Old 04-08-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

I have to go there for a work seminar next week. Wondering about restaurants and such Thanks
Interesting. Perth Amboy is not a destination city which has hotels and restaurants, but I do know that efforts have been made to revitalize was formerly an industrial town so maybe that's changed a little.

I spoke with my friend and she mentioned three restaurants with the caveat that she has not been to any of them in quite a while. That wasn't meant as a condemnation of them, just that we live in a town that is known in the region for its restaurants so unless there's a compelling reason to eat out somewhere else most residents dine out in town.

Troy - Turkish cuisine
Karini - Latin American cuisine
Portuguese Manor - Portuguese cuisine

Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Do your best

Flounder fillets sounded tasty GC
Old 04-08-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Thanks!!
Old 04-08-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Flounder fillets sounded tasty GC
They were tasty. And quick and easy. And on sale. That's a trifecta I can live with.

Thanks!!
Glad to help. Are you flying or driving down?
Old 04-08-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Driving Well riding with someone I hate long car rides!!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Driving Well riding with someone I hate long car rides!!
Depending upon where in the Finger Lakes region you are you probably have close to 5 hours in the car. Road trip!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Old 04-08-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

I hope you're comfortable with the person you driving with.