Notices

On My Way

Old 03-19-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
You can get through those situations, GC. Try to imagine yourself in those situations ahead of time and without a drink in your hand.

You can always imagine us there, too - your SR buddies - our names and avatars guiding you away from the bar. You can imagine me holding my umbrella over the wine glass by your plate and having wine spill all over the table like raindrops when the waiter tries to fill your glass - that would be entertaining.

Preoare your mind and heart; you can do it, GC.
Thanks for the suggestions and confidence. Just as you wrote, when I've been successful it's because I think about the situation ahead of time and build up my mental fortitude. Get that game plan in place and execute.

How are you feeling today? I hope better than you were.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

We are with you, GC. (Is the wedding a formal event? Need to know what to wear. Have to find something to go with my umbrella).

Feeling about the same - miserable - but no worse so that's good.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

We are with you, GC. (Is the wedding a formal event? Need to know what to wear. Have to find something to go with my umbrella).

Feeling about the same - miserable - but no worse so that's good.
Yes, it's a formal event. Not black tie, but suits and evening gowns. From my days working on Wall Street I have lots of suits that fortunately still (snuggly) fit, but don't own a tuxedo. If it were black tie, I'd have to rent one just as I'm going to have to do for a wedding we're going to in August in Ohio.

So yes, wear something nice and I'll pull some strings to get the hosts to seat you at our table.

Sorry you're not feeling better. Are you supposed to get any snow tomorrow? The forecast here is for 3-5 inches. Nice first day of spring.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

There is a chance of snow; the forecasts are so variable. Should be wet, though, which is good; nature is poised to rebound.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

There is a chance of snow; the forecasts are so variable. Should be wet, though, which is good; nature is poised to rebound.
Hope you don't get hit too hard. And feel better soon!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Good night my SR friends. Once again too late, but at least I was reading and am going to bed sober.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

I am there with you. It can take your spouse, your job and your home which is most of at least my life.Don't give up and stay sober. This is day 3 for me and I have a lot of fixing to do.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dayonesober View Post
I am there with you. It can take your spouse, your job and your home which is most of at least my life.Don't give up and stay sober. This is day 3 for me and I have a lot of fixing to do.
I wish you well.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a nice weekend GC
Old 03-20-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Hope you don't get hit too hard. And feel better soon!
It's just been messy, no big deal.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

It's just been messy, no big deal.
If it's slushy the bigger concern will be that it's going to freeze tonight. I'd much rather deal with snow than ice. How are you feeling?

Our streets are clear, but there's probably a little over an inch on my back deck and lawn. It's supposed to go for another 8 hours so the forecast of 3-5 inches will likely come true. With the streets being as they are, dinner plans are still on.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Enjoy your dinner!
Old 03-20-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
If it's slushy the bigger concern will be that it's going to freeze tonight. I'd much rather deal with snow than ice. How are you feeling?

Our streets are clear, but there's probably a little over an inch on my back deck and lawn. It's supposed to go for another 8 hours so the forecast of 3-5 inches will likely come true. With the streets being as they are, dinner plans are still on.
It is mostly over here with just a bit of rain now. Temps are supposed to hover above freezing, I think - I'll have to check the forecast but I have no plans to leave home tonight.

I dislike dealing with icy conditions, too.

Feeling a little better, thanks!
Old 03-20-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Enjoy your dinner!
Thanks. We're going to a new for us restaurant in town. I live in a town known for its restaurants so there are always a wide variety of choices regarding cuisine, formality, and price points close to home. I perused the online menu yesterday and it seems to be a steakhouse with an Italian influence on many of the dishes. I know people who have been there and they enjoyed the experience so I'm expecting the same. I have to add that it's going to feel a little odd celebrating our anniversary when it's not.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

It is mostly over here with just a bit of rain now. Temps are supposed to hover above freezing, I think - I'll have to check the forecast but I have no plans to leave home tonight.

I dislike dealing with icy conditions, too.

Feeling a little better, thanks!
Glad you're feeling better and glad you won't be going below freezing tonight. Sounds like a good night to stay in, but as you know I'm venturing out.

We're still in the midst of moderately heavy snow and it's starting to accumulate on the roads, maybe 2 inches so far with the possibility of almost twice as much by the time we finish dinner. The restaurant is about 2 miles away and the route, once I get off my little street is all main roads, which may be plowed by then. Even if they aren't I have 4 wheel drive so I'm not too concerned. Definitely not idea, however.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Dinner was great last night; we would definitely go back, but given the price point for us the restaurant is a "special occasion" type place. Beverage of choice was regular water.

Leaving in about four hours for the wedding; it's about 1.5 hours away and we have to go over two NYC bridges and some nasty highways so I have additional incentive to be totally sober. Hey, every little bit helps.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Hope the wedding and celebration was wonderful.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Just finished reading Allen Carr's book on drinking last night, and since your such a big reader, perhaps you would enjoy it. He's not an eloquent writer, but has made a big name for him self in the addiction business in the UK b/c so many folks are successful with his stopping smoking methods. The book is controversial because he believes that all regular drinkers would, given enough time, become alcoholics due to the "addictive drug" of alcohol (and does not agree that alcoholics have a genetic flaw that non-alcoholics don't have), but I really enjoyed his angle and found it matched my experience with alcohol (ie, that I created my addiction with alcohol by drinking quite a bit of it nonchalantly over many years). Maybe give it a flip, it's a cheap Amazon purchase and your local library might have a copy as well. I actually work in the alcohol industry and have many years of wine training (restaurants actually pay me to build/pair their wine menus! the irony!), and so I definitely need help with the romantic illusion of alcohol, and he does a good job of tearing that illusion to pieces.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Hope the wedding and celebration was wonderful.
We had an excellent time. Saw some long time friends/acquaintances that we haven't seen in a while, filled my tummy with some good food, got some fun exercise dancing, and drank copious amounts of club soda. Honestly, the four hour open bar and waiter service was a non issue for me with regard to having any alcohol. Yesterday was a different story.

After attending the parade we went back to my BIL's house for his and his wife's annual party and during the course of the day I had two beers. There's it's out. I'm not justifying it or making excuses and today I'm back in the mindset that I've been in of late which means no interest in alcohol. What happened yesterday? Not really sure other than I had them because I wanted to. Maybe it was my AV dominating and looking at the previous sentence on the screen makes it seem lame, and maybe it was, but I'm just trying to come clean here.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that you had a nice weekend, GC. Second the marriage rite itself, the music and dancing are my favorite parts of the celebration.

My guess is that your interest in alcohol will continue to wane but I suspect that it is going to take some sustained, unbroken sobriety before you get to that "hey, sobriety is truly fantastic" moment.

What is your longest period of sobriety so far?