Notices

About long term sobriety

Old 02-20-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
instant

three months short of four years sober. I was slowly dying, constantly stressed, angry and tormented- outwardly 'high functioning' and "happily married"- life was work and drinking- at home nothing was getting done- It had been that way for a long time and things were heading towards a crisis of some type.

I am now healthier (15kg lighter), more active, am more productive, have better relationships all around, I am on top of all the "things" that need doing (eg house maintenance, car services, dentist appointments, tax returns etc etc etc). I have also taken up playing guitar and play in two bands, we have been on some great holidays including our recent 6 day wilderness trek (carrying a 20kg backpack).

I am now living and growing.

Amazing what can happen when you don't poison yourself every day !!!!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 439trish View Post
i'm wondering if anyone here can answer this for me, objectively as possible and without exagerration.....

Aside from the obvious benefits - that is, no blackouts, no hangovers, no liver damage, no embarrasing drunken behavior, etc---

have you experienced and or do you believe that long term sobriety produces a quality of life that is 'on a higher plane' for lack of a more insightful term.

Just contemplating and curious -- appreciate any and all feedback

thanks.
I haven't had a drink in over 37 years. As far as the "higher plain", no. I'm just a recovered alcoholic and human being. I'm just me. Yes, I still go to one or two AA meetings a week, but no that much involved due to work.

I don't think about drinking that much anymore, the obsession is long gone. But, sometimes the thought is there. Tried to get back into the religion of my youth, but there was nothing there. And I still try to practice the 12 steps. What I have learned over the years is that the bullcrap in my head was just bullcrap.

I've been married for 30 years, I've worked with the same employer for 30 years. Doing ok financially. The biggest benefit was knowing that when my children were born to try to enjoy every second raising them with my wife. My oldest is just starting her career and mmyoungest is in her last year of college. It's been the best thing in my life.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
I also only have a little over a year, but to me, it's like Maslow's Pyramid. Long-term sobriety restores / stabilizes our most basic needs, and then we can construct a more solid and taller building on that new base.
I was pondering his Heirarchy of Needs today myself ! Great minds.