Notices

Sponsor?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I just like gaining a bit of knowledge on a bit of everything! My dad always told me you could never learn too much and don't be afraid to ask about the unknown--one day it could apply to you.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Cool

Posted by Carlotta.......: "...There are really no set rules in AA but it is not uncommon for some old timers with 30 plus years sober to be sponsored by someone with less time because everyone in their sobriety range is dead or senile..."

Posted by airwick.......: "I'm 50 ( I haven't been drinking for 30 plus...but I could have) I am not senile, and damn if I'm dead...the ticker is still ticking lol."

Carlotta was not speaking of folks who were at least 50 and/or drinking for 30 years. Oldtimers, in AA, simply means folks with longterm sobriety, not necessarily old age in life on earth [depending on one's point of view.....20 (mebbe), 30, 40, 50 years sober]. My first sponsor here in TX has 31 years sober (3 years when she sponsored me); my sponsor in CA has 35 years (6 years when she sponsored me); and my second sponsor in TX has 45 years (30 years when he took me through the steps with a new and different perspective).

I no longer have a sponsor. Most of the folk that I know with longterm sobriety don't have sponsor any more, just a good group of sober friends around them so everyone's kept accountable. I've never understood the point of having a 'sponsor' when one has worked the steps and has longterm sobriety; only seem to hear of it here online.

When looking for a sponsor, I wanted someone who could share his/her experience in working the steps.....the more sober time, hopefully, the more times he or she has worked through the steps.....the more experience to share.

(o:
NoelleR