Notices

Day 14

Old 02-20-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 14

So I had a rough day 12- all I wanted to do was drink to get drunk. I fought it and heck it was hard times. Not so much physical as it was mental. But I got through it and didnt drink. Yesterday as better, just really tired because I didnt sleep well. Got a lot of sleep last night, probably a little too much sleep but whatever.

I start my lifting weights program this weekend. Just starting light and building up from there. I think it will help with my emotional state of being and help me physically feel better. I really havent been doing anything active since I started to try and quit. But I notice that when I am active (as rare as it is) I do feel better. And I dont mean just walking, last Saturday I went out and played baseball- filled in at a high school scrimmage because they needed extra people, and I felt great. I ended up being asked to come back when I can to help coach- I work weekdays when most of the practices are, but I will be available Saturdays and will help then. Not paid or anything, but that doesnt matter, its something that I really like to do. I run an adult baseball league in the summer and I really like it.

Anyways just hoping to get back to getting out of this funk I am feeling.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice! The part time coaching sounds like a lot of fun, and you can pass on your knowledge to the team. Win/win.

I wish I had free weights. That's something I miss about not having a gym membership. Third floor condo - can't have 'em at home.

The mental struggle wears me out. If I don't struggle against it I don't get that flood of hormones that makes me so tired. It's weird how much I notice stress now that I'm sober. It really physically makes me exhausted. The other day I was stressed about something and I had to take a nap afterwards. It was a stress hangover.

Serenity is the bomb. Acceptance is the answer. No more struggle...that's my goal.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just have a dumbbells that you can add weight to it... you can do a lot with just two dumbbells. But yeah I wish I had a home gym that would be much better.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 2 weeks sober Jryan
Old 02-20-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have two dumbbells but feel so lazy to workout. Trying to get myself back into it. I used to love working out! It was fun for me; like a hobby. I wish I felt the same way about working out but it is different now. Still, I hope I will return to my glory days and one day love it again.

Congrats on fourteen days!
Old 02-20-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoesWithTheFlow View Post
I have two dumbbells but feel so lazy to workout. Trying to get myself back into it. I used to love working out! It was fun for me; like a hobby. I wish I felt the same way about working out but it is different now. Still, I hope I will return to my glory days and one day love it again.

Congrats on fourteen days!
Yeah totally. I use to work out and then look forward to cracking a few beers after! Gave me motivation. Now I just need a different motivation (feeling better, looking better, doing something good for myself... all great but a few beers- man... I am working to change myself for the better and beer is not part of that equation).
Old 02-20-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Working out is great medicine for me too. I stuggle between normal weight and overweight (nothing crazy, but it's very depressing when stuff stops fitting).

I'm really hoping that I can use exercise as a diversion more and more. Just for stress in general.

That's one of the main reasons I want to move out of NYC. Running in Central Park is great, but I don't really get the chance to golf, ski or play tennis, all which I loved growing up in the suburbs. While I know it's common for golfing buddies to grab a beer or two afterwards, I believe it would just be a much healthier environment for me.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
So I had a rough day 12- all I wanted to do was drink to get drunk. I fought it and heck it was hard times. Not so much physical as it was mental. But I got through it and didnt drink. Yesterday as better, just really tired because I didnt sleep well. Got a lot of sleep last night, probably a little too much sleep but whatever.

I start my lifting weights program this weekend. Just starting light and building up from there. I think it will help with my emotional state of being and help me physically feel better. I really havent been doing anything active since I started to try and quit. But I notice that when I am active (as rare as it is) I do feel better. And I dont mean just walking, last Saturday I went out and played baseball- filled in at a high school scrimmage because they needed extra people, and I felt great. I ended up being asked to come back when I can to help coach- I work weekdays when most of the practices are, but I will be available Saturdays and will help then. Not paid or anything, but that doesnt matter, its something that I really like to do. I run an adult baseball league in the summer and I really like it.

Anyways just hoping to get back to getting out of this funk I am feeling.
Congrats on 14 days, jryan; well done.

Early days can be a real emotional roller coaster and mood funks can be part of the lows; emotions eventually stabilize.

Recovery definitely involves a shift in mindset - a 'Brain Re-Training' - an acquisition of healthy coping skills and tools. For me, that involved a great deal of introspection - a peeling away of the layers of my 'alcoholic-skin', an examination of each layer, a rediscovery of myself and things with real and true 'value' - a basis upon which to build my 'sober-skin'.

Keep going, jryan; you can do this; you ARE doing this.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad to read that you're using your Db's. A lot can be done with them; you may also want to do a search on body weight exercises. You'd be surprised how challenging they can be.

I second you on starting light; keeping good form not only works your muscles more effectively, but also minimizes the odds of injury.

Kudos for the volunteering. I've always done a lot of it, including coaching my kids' Little League teams for years when they were younger, and always found it rewarding. Now that my kids are grown I no longer do that or volunteer in the school system, but do occasionally help out at a local soup kitchen.

Lastly, congrats on getting through your rough day.