Notices

I can't do this

Old 02-18-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't do this

I've been drinking and using for a long time now. it is the only thing that keeps me going and stops me from going completely crazy.

i tried stopping a while ago, didn't last long and it caused more problems than ever. got assaulted which even though it was own fault, i'm still freaked out by. i have no where to live and just crashing at someones for a few days.

i'm scared of trying to stop again. i couldn't cope with things being worse than they are now.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

(((Rice)))

Rice im sorry things are not great at the moment

Dont be scared to quit your better off sober you can lean on us for support 24/7

I think your taking a big step making this post its ok rice you can do this
Old 02-18-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

But if you continue drinking and using, things will get worse.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think support is very important Rice...getting sober after many years is a hard thing to do and it may seem as if things are getting worse for a while...

I drank away all my bad days and feelings for over 2 decades...I had no coping skills for even the smallest upset, let alone bigger ones..

but if you can get through that, lean on your support, and learn how to live sober anmd cope, things do undeniably get better.

You just need a little faith

D
Old 02-18-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think support is very important Rice...getting sober after many years is a hard thing to do and it may seem as if things are getting worse for a while...

I drank away all my bad days and feelings for over 2 decades...I had no coping skills for even the smallest upset, let alone bigger ones..

but if you can get through that, lean on your support, and learn how to live sober anmd cope, things do undeniably get better.

You just need a little faith

D
Old 02-18-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't feel like throwing one of my goofy analogies at you right now. So I'll just ask, do you really feel things will get worse if you quit drinking and using? Really?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The good thing about quitting drinking is that you get your feelings back. The bad thing about quitting drinking is that you get your feelings back.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Rice. I used to say 'I can't do this' in regards to quitting drinking. These days, while I am in an on/off cycle of sobriety, the same words still resonate in my head, but in another context. 'I can't do this' is now in reference to returning to regular drinking. The words 'I CAN do this' are also there, giving me the strength to hang in there, and work more continuous sober days into my life. As is often said by AA'ers I speak to, I only need to be concerned avout staying sober for ONE day... and that's today. Reminding ourselves that its only ever 'today' is a good way to keep it uncomplicated or daunting.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was manic depressive for about a week after I quit. I only had a 4 day bender when I relapsed but the withdrawals felt worse than anything I've ever gone through, mentally.

After a couple of days of no sleep, night sweats and panic attacks God granted me a good nights sleep with the most vivid dreams I ever had (mostly good, a couple nightmares) and I felt ok again. Like I was reborn. Now I feel better than ever. I couldn't do it without AA.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Rice, I understand how you feel, my friend.

I didn't think I could cope without booze or drugs either - yet here I am four months later, getting my s**t together for the first time in 38 years. I am amazed at the changes in myself.

Stopping is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

You can make a much better life for yourself, if you stop.

I hope you decide you are worth that, because all of us here already know that you are.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Rice, as every one has mentioned, quitting may not improve situation instantly like a miracle. But continue using , will surely make things worse.. Yes, initially it is very hard to quit and stay quit.. Once, we make up our mind that we have to go through initial discomforts to feel better, it helps. Most of them are discomforts except for some serious withdrawal risks, which can be taken care by visiting a doc. We wish you all the best.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I don't feel like throwing one of my goofy analogies at you right now. So I'll just ask, do you really feel things will get worse if you quit drinking and using? Really?
i do. all i ever think about is how i can try and make things better. the idea of taking away the coping mechanisms and exposing everything sounds a lot worse than how things are now.

i know this isnt delaing with problems and is a temporary crutch, but its the only thing i have in the world.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I thought drinking was the only thing keeping me from going crazy too. Until I quit then of course I realize that alcohol was the thing causing all my problems. Now I'm not gonna lie. There is a period after you quit where things are worse for a while but it's worth it once you come out the other side. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner
Old 02-19-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Courage is doing it scared. Everything was scary in the beginning because I never did any thing sober. The learning curve is like the Nike swoosh. None of this living stuff was nearly as bad as I thought. Self-care is self-perpetuating--just do it.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Rice View Post
i do. all i ever think about is how i can try and make things better. the idea of taking away the coping mechanisms and exposing everything sounds a lot worse than how things are now.

i know this isnt delaing with problems and is a temporary crutch, but its the only thing i have in the world.
The fact that you are posting here means you believe, at least you hope, there might be a better way and you are searching for it.

We are telling you that your hope is based on reality and your fear is not.

Change is possible.
Hope is reasonable.

Don't believe the lies your addiction tells you. You CAN do this.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Rice you can lean on us for support 24/7 you can pm anytime you want

Know you can do this
Old 02-19-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In what ways did things get worse when you stopped?

Did you notice anything getting better?

Do you think life will get worse or better if you are drinking and using?

Is there anyone in your life who is pushing you to keep using and is there anyone who wants you to stop?

Things get better when you quit- maybe not right away, maybe not for the first week(s), but they do get better. If things magically just got better after a day of stopping this site along with many other help groups and therapists wouldnt be around today.

What can you do to help yourself stop?
Old 02-19-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Rice, Once you get through the first few weeks, things will get better. You say you have no where to live and you are staying with someone. Can I ask why? Are you employed? Being homeless and using isn't better. Once you get sober, you can work on things to improve your situation. And yes, it is hard but you can do it.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

All I want to say is that it never the victim/survivor's fault when they get assaulted. NEVER!!!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rice, I hope you find the motivation to stop drinking for good and to change your life. We're here to offer support.