Notices

thinking about quitting, just a few questions

Old 02-18-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

thinking about quitting, just a few questions

well im 27, and have been drinking heavily since 20. i went from a 30 pack a day (between me and my wife). but for the past few months i switched to drinking at least a fifth of vodka every night. now im having to drink during the day also, just to feel normal. im thinking about quitting but scared of the detox process. im fine when i first wake up, but by 2 p.m. i feel shakey and really nervous. any advice of how bad its going to be?
Old 02-18-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

You've made a good decision!

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you detox. Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous and unpredictable.

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's hard to say how "bad" anyone's detox will be. Some people just feel bad for a few days, and some have very serious withdrawals. In rare cases, very severe complications can ensue like DT's, heart palpitations, strokes, heart attacks, etc.

The amount that you have been drinking isn't always a clear indicator either...but it's best to be safe and speak with a doctor or addictions counselor before quitting. Drinking a fifth of vodka every night and also drinking during the day is a pretty extreme amount of alcohol, and the fact that you are getting shakes mid day could definitely mean that you are physically addicted - but be safe and talk with your doctor first.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

do what scott said

oh, sorry - welcome to the forum, this is a great decision and you will thank yourself later for it, believe me
Old 02-18-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yeah ive never liked drinking in the day time, but i have to. i recently blacked out and fell and got some pretty good bruises. my wife also is an alcoholic and she fell a few months ago and got 6 stitches by her eye. but we both want to quit, its just so hard to do. what worries me is i already have high blood pressure.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Anna and Scott have you covered for detox.

Make the jump to sobriety, I guarantee you will never regret it.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i just bought another liter today, when that is gone im thinking about not getting anymore. but i'll post on here for support when i do.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Craig nice to meet you when your ready make a day 1 know you can do this

I stopped drinking 19 months ago and my life is so much better i had to work at it but i promisec you its the best decision and one of the wisest youl ever make by getting sober

You dont need to drink to be the real you bud

When your ready the support is here
Old 02-18-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Only you can make the decision to quit and have the determination to succeed. This forum has been a great source of inspiration and support for me.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi.
I defiantly recommend seeing medical assistance because just stopping can be very dangerous, deadly in fact.
A serious feeling of wanting to get sober along with being honest with yourself about your drinking will hopefully let you accept the fact you cannot drink again in safety.

Then the work begins as this for most is not a walk in the park because alcoholism is one powerful bugger to deal with.

BE WELL
Old 02-18-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by craig1187 View Post
yeah ive never liked drinking in the day time, but i have to. i recently blacked out and fell and got some pretty good bruises. my wife also is an alcoholic and she fell a few months ago and got 6 stitches by her eye. but we both want to quit, its just so hard to do. what worries me is i already have high blood pressure.
I got to the point where I drank pretty much all day on the weekends and from the time i left work until I passed out at night during the week. I have no doubt that I would have started drinking during the day at work too if I would have kept drinking.

My family has a history of high BP and I had pretty high readings myself. Surprisingly, my BP went back to completely normal within a couple months of my quitting. I'm at a steady 110/70 like clockwork now with no meds at all.

Bottom line, you aren't going to get any better while you are still drinking - so I do hope you can make the decision to quit and join us. Getting over that initial detox hump needs to be done carefully, but the benefits far outweigh the relatively short period of discomfort.

Be safe and please stick around.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If your withdrawal symptoms are getting worse then I would suggest seeking some medical advice from your doctor.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

At the very least the doc can give you something to lessen the withdrawl symptoms, at the other end of the spectrum it could save your life. My withdrawals were mostly psychological (terror and depression), with some cramps, sweating and insomnia, but I was a binge drinker so yours could be worse. The only plus side of going it alone cold turkey is that it sucked so bad I never want to go back to alcohol again, not to mention it was ruining my life.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

does it makes since that im scared of sobriety? its 4 in the morning and im up thinking about when im going to have to start drinking because its that bad. that liter is gone, drunk it all last night. may have 3 or 4 shots left, just enough to make me feel normal.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Craig

I think every single one of us here was scared about quitting. I was terrified....but the more years I put off quitting, the worse my drinking got.

By the end I was more scared of not quitting....

I've never regretted quitting - it's been hard at times, especially in the beginning, but I had support here.

I've built a life I love, and I rediscovered a me I'd forgotten existed.

I hope you'll decide to take the plunge too - you won't be sorry

D
Old 02-19-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

does it makes since that im scared of sobriety? its 4 in the morning and im up thinking about when im going to have to start drinking because its that bad. that liter is gone, drunk it all last night. may have 3 or 4 shots left, just enough to make me feel normal.
You are scared of getting sober? Understood. But you should be scared of your drinking. You are young, drinking in the morning to feel "normal" and suffering withdrawals when you don't.

And it can get worse. It's not you who is scared. It is your addiction that is scared that you'll quit, although it is fine with you drinking to your death.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

welcome craig! -just to let you know, i commend you for facing this head-on at your age. i wish i had and i think many here would say the same. i guarantee you will not look back when you're 40 with regret for quitting now. good job, man. talk to your doc. he/she has seen it before and knows how to help.

Last edited by leviathan; 02-19-2015 at 06:04 AM. Reason: punct.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Craig!!
Old 02-20-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

there is no more alcohol in my house, and i am waiting to hear back from the doctor to see what he wants me to do.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

there is no more alcohol in my house, and i am waiting to hear back from the doctor to see what he wants me to do.
Great choice Craig. Glad you called your doctor as well, I hope he can provide you with some assistance. Someone is always here too if you need to talk or ask questions.