Notices

Hitting Bottom

Old 02-18-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hitting Bottom

On page 24 of the Twelve Steps And Twelve Traditions, it says "few people will sincerely try to practice the AA program unless they have hit bottom." There are different levels of bottoms. Think of an elevator, where the top floor represents the first time you had a hangover, and the very bottom floor represents death. The first time I got sober was after my family intervened and put me in treatment. After a few years I wanted to drink again, so I got back on the elevator and went down some more. I hit some more bottoms, like saying hateful things to my husband during blackouts, having an accident with my car, and missing work more often. Something bad enough happens (like ending up in the hospital) so I quit drinking again (I got off the elevator). To do the right thing would be to work the program and stay sober even though I have a lot of nevers. I have never gotten a DUI or ended up in jail due to my drinking. I have never killed anyone while driving drunk. I did not lose my job or my marriage. BUT IF I PICK UP A DRINK, I will be getting back on the elevator and going down to a lower bottom. I need to remember this and avoid that first drink. I only need to hit "a bottom", not the lowest bottom, to sincerely practice the program of AA.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

HI mom,

That was really good, and i can relate to most of that cause i was there, maybe not skipping work, or drink again and again. I am hoping i can follow the 12 steps and not start drinking again. I was to keep going with my sobriety 15 days and ticking.

I am glad you are posting it really helps me know that i have someone whos been there and knows me.

Love ya!!
Old 02-18-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good perspective. I'm taking the stairs, and going back up ;-)
Old 02-18-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a couple handful of AA peeps with rather high bottoms that have been in the program for at least a decade or two. I wasn't that lucky...it took laying in bed in a fetal position for a few months hoping I would die prior to my oldest daughter's wedding to finally let go of my ego and actually listen at an AA meeting. I made the wedding at 90 days sober, and at 21 months I held her daughter, my first grandchild and fell in love all over again.

Elevator man, up please!

My best, Donna and Jen. Hey Jen, stop by Don't Quit again...there is a DQ inspiration message waiting for you .

Carlos
Old 02-18-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your realizations and commitment/s. Like you I have been "lucky" to not experience a DUI, jail due to my drinking, killed anyone due to my drinking, lose a job or my marriage due to drinking. It isn't good to compare ourselves to others, because everyone is different. Stepping away from a revolving door takes courage and stamina and resolve. Keep it up
Old 02-18-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.

You mention some of the things you haven’t done, please add the word YET, Your Eligible Too.

I can’t imagine the anguish of doing any of those things and the repercussions both mentally and emotionally. BFTGOG.

BE WELL