SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello all (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/359712-hello-all.html)

hadmyshare 02-18-2015 05:42 AM

Hello all

Hello,
I'm new here. I have a drinking problem which is not getting better without some serious attention and effort on my part. I wanted to just post to say hello. I've taken the step of registering. I will try to do some reading and maintain this quit which I've just started.

zeppodog 02-18-2015 05:49 AM

Good for you, there's a lot of support to be had here. It's helped me many times and it's right in my house with easy access.

Foolsgold186 02-18-2015 05:53 AM

Welcome. Lots of help and support here.

Wishing you well.

Lx

IOAA2 02-18-2015 05:55 AM

Welcome and keep coming.
There is a lot of help here for the asking so do so. We all have been new so you’re among people who understand this very serious condition.

Basically we attain sobriety by not drinking one day at a time in a row and making changes within so we don’t drink again.

Simple and doable but not always easy.

BE WELL

SoberLeigh 02-18-2015 05:55 AM

Welcome, hadmyshare, to SR. Glad you found us.

Look forward to getting to know you.

PurpleKnight 02-18-2015 10:48 AM

Welcome to the Forum Hadmyshare!! :wave:

hadmyshare 02-18-2015 01:34 PM

Thank you for all the warm welcomes.
Alcohol addiction (and other addictions) are difficult to beat on your own without any support. I appreciate the community here. I may use this site / thread as a bit of a journal on my quit. If (when) I reach a difficult time I will update this thread.
Thanks again,
~Hadmyshare

Dee74 02-18-2015 01:45 PM

Welcome aboard hadmyshare :)

D

Soberwolf 02-18-2015 01:51 PM

Nice to meet you had my share

hadmyshare 02-24-2015 03:01 PM

Reset Quit

Of course I drank again. Regret it again. At least I did not binge drink (much).

I failed in part due to social pressure - I have too many friends that drop in and they usually want to drink.

*sigh*.

Getting prepared to restart my quit again. I don't want to give up on this...

BernieE 02-24-2015 03:11 PM

Keep trying. What could you have done differently this time? You need a plan, life keeps happening and we fall into our usual patterns if we don't take serious steps to change them. You can do this.

Dee74 02-24-2015 03:17 PM

Why not start posting here daily - especially when you feel like drinking? :dunno:
D

hadmyshare 02-24-2015 03:30 PM

I think what I did wrong in a nutshell was to have a drink.
I had a friend come over to my place of business - he wanted to go get some food, of course he orders some alcohol and me being polite or afraid to assert my quit I had a beer - one beer.

I drank a few more - I did not drink to excess - which is a positive step. But the problem will be that I will slowly drink more and more until I end up binging again.

Once I get going with a quit I tend to do okay with it - but it is that I tend to get sucked in to taking that first drink.

Hevyn 02-24-2015 03:46 PM

Glad you posted about it hadmyshare. We all understand. For me, there was never just one. Things were unpredictable once it was in my system. Good to have you with us.

tokidoki 02-24-2015 04:15 PM

I hear you hadmyshare. I'm in the same boat. It is time to take action.

Anna 02-24-2015 04:30 PM

Welcome and glad you found us.

jaynie04 02-24-2015 04:43 PM

Hi and welcome Hadmyshare. In early sobriety I what helped me was to stay out in front of situations…manage them as best as possible before they arose. For me that included being really specific about where I spent time and who I spent time with. If a situation was going to put me in an uncomfortable spot I felt it easier to avoid it. It's not always possible, but it is a form of taking action, of owning the decision to get sober.

People pleasing got me in a lot of trouble. That behavior never served me well, and it is one of the areas I have focused on most. My default was a shrug and a "oh well" and drink.

It sounds like you took care of trying to make your friend happy at your own expense. It is ok to let other people decide how they feel when you take care of yourself. In fact I have come to see that in a way taking care of myself, and giving others the room to find their way is actually a very respectful act for both of us.

I am really glad you posted tonight and kept the connection here. I felt lonely at first, and like I was locked in a solitary battle…me vs. the bottle. When I engaged with others who understood and supported me the bottle didn't stand a chance. Welcome to SR!

hadmyshare 02-27-2015 12:47 PM

I'm on Day 1 of my newest quit.
I am going to persevere. I hate the struggle. I've noticed that I really struggle in the first 2-3 weeks, and then I usually can break free for a couple months before I break down again. I am trying to brace myself for the next week of sobriety. Yes - I can take it day by day. But I just know from my own history that I usually have difficulty within the first week or two.

Maybe it will help me to set a sobriety date of today. I can then try to maintain my quit. Technically I started yesterday, but I was still lingering from the night before.

hadmyshare 05-11-2015 01:44 PM

Well, once again I am restarting my quit. Does this sound familiar? All of the start and then stop again. This time I am on Day 4. I have pretty bad abdominal cramps and body odour etc. So I must be doing something right.

I am going to really try to make this quit stick.
Sorry if I wasted peoples time on here.

buk1000 05-11-2015 01:50 PM

You haven't wasted anyone's time. Welcome back.