Notices

Went to an addiction counselor

Old 02-21-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I love this board . Someone goes to a trained professional and said professional tells OP that it doesn't sound like she's an alcoholic and most folks on here question the professional. I'm not saying everyone is like that, but there seems to be tendency on here that everyone is an alcoholic.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
I love this board . Someone goes to a trained professional and said professional tells OP that it doesn't sound like she's an alcoholic and most folks on here question the professional. I'm not saying everyone is like that, but there seems to be tendency on here that everyone is an alcoholic.
I'm not sure that's quite what the trained professional said.

And trained professionals are often not alcoholics..... Just sayin.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
I love this board .lbut there seems to be tendency on here that everyone is an alcoholic.
That's likely because this is a board dedicated to sobriety, not Moderation.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
I haven't had alcohol or tobacco since Tuesday. No physical withdrawals or anything, just emptiness. Complete and total nothingness. Numbness and sadness is all I feel.
I live in the middle of nowhere with no money to spare and I am having a hard time finding anything worthwhile to do.
It's become starkly obvious that I have no friends, no hobbies, no talents.
No wonder I drink. At least it's something to look forward to.
Something to make me happy, no matter if it's chemical. At least it's something.
I can't even look forward to drinking like I used to because it lost a lot of its appeal since I quit tobacco, the two go together so well.
The thought of picking up a beer sounds like admitting defeat, like a failure, since I know it's been good for my physical body, I just hate the feeling of being sober, it's not good like last time.
I'm just sad.
When drinking is a large part of your life, and it's suddenly gone that can leave quite an emptiness.

I'm not saying it's easy to make new friends but it should be possible to find something you're interested in and/or good at, and meet new folks that way.

Yes it's the long way round compared to simply opening a bottle but...it really is worth it, Arctic

D
Old 03-03-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

By now I am so afraid of failure. I almost expect it. I went back and read all my threads from the beginning. How many times have I tried now? This has been going on over 3 years. I quit then I start, quit then start.
I don't know what to do. So weak.
Had another bad episode last night, feel ready to quit again. I'm getting a check up on Thursday as I feel like something bad is happening inside of me and had blood in my puke again.
I'm having them check my levels again liver function etc. and almost hope that they're not good so I will have a concrete, serious reason for staying quit.
Fail, fail, fail. Every time. Why would this time be different? How many times does it take? My husband doesn't even take me seriously anymore.
How many times have I said "No, this time I mean it"
What a joke.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm having them check my levels again liver function etc. and almost hope that they're not good so I will have a concrete, serious reason for staying quit.
If vomiting blood isn't a good enough reason for you to quit, I doubt anything your doctor can say will be either, do you?

You say you've been trying for 3 years, I drank and struggled for a lot longer than that..so did a lot of others. That's not an indicator that you cannot quit now, anyone can if they really want to.

Think of it this way - count up all the hours you spend each day on drinking - buying the alcohol, drinking the alcohol, all the wasted hours while you are drunk and recovering from being drunk. If you spend even a fraction of that time each and every day on a solid recovery program you could really see some improvement, right?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

What is a solid recovery program though? I have no support at home or within my family. You mean AA?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What is a solid recovery program though? I have no support at home or within my family. You mean AA?
AA is only one recovery program. There are many. AVRT is a very commonly used one that is self paced and does not require face to face meetings or a sponsor, check out the secular forurms.

Seeing an alcohol and drug counselor would be another way to go.

Joining a monthly or daily thread here and becoming part of an online group that starts their sobriety together can help.

There are scores of self-help books you can read.

Even if you don't do AA, reading the big book can be of great help - it's online and it's free.

Bottom line, there are lots and lots of ways to do it, many that are free and that you can do entirely on your own.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

By now I am so afraid of failure. I almost expect it. I went back and read all my threads from the beginning. How many times have I tried now? This has been going on over 3 years. I quit then I start, quit then start.
I don't know what to do. So weak.
Had another bad episode last night, feel ready to quit again. I'm getting a check up on Thursday as I feel like something bad is happening inside of me and had blood in my puke again.
Fail, fail, fail. Every time. Why would this time be different? How many times does it take? My husband doesn't even take me seriously anymore.
How many times have I said "No, this time I mean it"
What a joke.
Normies don't have to write posts like this. Normies would put down the drink if it concerned them enough to even visit a sobriety forum.