Notices

freaking snow

Old 02-16-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

freaking snow

I am not loving this snow!

A snowy night in my city always means the bars are packed. Federal government will close on the threat on an inch.

I was feeling a little sad and lonely, so I decided to head out to say hi to some friends. They had been out drinking for awhile. They were laughing, being drunk and silly. I had a good time with them...for a bit. I left early to insure not thoughts of drinking got to me. I think my thick head and stubbornness are really helpful.

I am committed to my sobriety and didn't have a drink but it made me realize that a lot of my old friendships were soaked in booze. We can still get together and have fun on occasion but I need to retire my bar stool.

Maybe I am "looking at the closed door". Just kind of blah now.

Maybe I will go to a meeting tomorrow. I don't really know if I want to go the AA route but this is a bit lonely.

I really want some wine but am going to make some coco.

Sorry for the downer post but just feeling blah right now.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Couldn't edit, sorry for the typos.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The community of people at AA is one of the best parts of it! I have met many new friends there who understand the struggles we all go through. After a while you will feel like you have a whole new group of friends.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

You should be proud of yourself Axiom.....I am!!! Not a downer post at all Take Care & enjoy the coco & waking up hungover & regret free tomorrow! I am looking a new avenues to make sober connections & activities....kind of excited about it!
Old 02-16-2015, 11:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Pa**ot Momma

Check out meetup.com. They have sober groups all over the country. I am pretty sure there is one in DC.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nothing like a good snow storm to practice patience, tolerance, and finding ways to keep busy without Alcohol.

Mother nature's sobriety School is open for business. LOL!
Old 02-17-2015, 02:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there Axiom stick close to SR bud
Old 02-17-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel you Axiom. With everyone having the day off, there are bound to be invites out to bars for me today. Or even without an invite, I know the bar around the corner from me (where the bartenders know my name) is going to packed. I'm going to have to keep myself busy....planning on having my tea and maybe make some fresh lemonade (I know, random...but it's good). And I'm going to use the opportunity to hit the gym mid-day which is a treat. Do you have a gym nearby you cld go to? And I know it's cold, but does bundling up really well and going for a short walk sound appealing?
Hang in there!
Old 02-17-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi.

I’m a few hundred miles N of DC and am putting the + spin of 2 recent blizzards and snow in between along with a lot of minus 0 degree days.

It’s good for the ground water level from where many get their water from.

I haven’t heard the bs words “global warming.”

It can be so relaxing if we can see natures artistry in the positive.

It MAY keep many fools off the road, debatable.

It brings to mind the words “accept the things I cannot change.”

PS. I haven’t been out of my driveway for 5 days.

BE WELL
Old 02-17-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

reminds me of the time I walked 5+ miles in deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep snow to schenectady to meet a guy from watervliet just so we could hang out and drink all day in a bar... his trip was worse than mine... Why? because it snowed of course. And what else was there to do? I wouldn't travel a 1/2 mile in deep snow for a quart of milk, but I'd walk 5 miles in 2 feet of snow just to get drunk.

cocoa is the way to go! well done
Old 02-17-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Snow is a big trigger for me. There's something about walking to the local pub in the snow...gathering w drinking buddies. AA is a great place for fellowship.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Axiom, this winter weather is testing patience on many of us. I'm glad you posted about your feelings. It's okay to feel sad that you are closing the door on some relationships. But, there is an upside that will come along as you open your life to new, sober friends and activities.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've had it with the winter too!! I totally have the winter blahs..... it's too loooooooong.