Notices

Debilitating anxiety

Old 02-16-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

Debilitating anxiety

So since I've quit drinking (on day 4) I've been a lot more productive, but only around my home. I haven't been able to face the outside world, and even a walk with my dog is causing me to have something similar to an anxiety attack. I'm struggling to msg my friends, get out the door to AA, go to school, or even to just log on here. I had a week long school break, and today was my first day back. I woke up at 6am and wanted to be at school at 8am to study, but in reality it took me till 2:00pm to get the courage to leave my home. Luckily I made my class, but no vital studying was done and the struggle was far beyond what it should have been. Has anyone experienced similar anxiety?? Any advice?
Old 02-16-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Frixion, I will be 2 weeks sober tomorrow and I felt that today. I didn't want to take shower, cook breakfast, take my dog out, drive my daughter to her friends house. I didn't want to do crap. Also, I was getting attack feeling everything I did. If it was my dog sitting on my lap or if it was the smell of coffee. Sound silly but, it really sucked.

I heard its going to be like this for awhile, it goes and comes!!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Usually I find that the more I stay at home the worse I get. And one I get outside into the fresh air and sunlight I start to feel much much better. If it is nice outside, you might just try sitting outside and doing nothing (not even bringing your dog) and just relaxing in the sunlight. Just get some sunlight on your bare skin and get some vit d from it. Keep on not drinking or this anxiety etc will be worse next time around.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you tried belly breathing exercises ?
Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I get terrible anxiety after drinking . I would pace around my apartment for 3 days with insomnia going from the sofa to bathroom and nowhere else. All I can do is watch TV and surf the net to distract my thoughts. I can't leave the house except if I really need supplies. I jump at loud noises and have paranoid thoughts. I'm just a wreck.

Day 4 is close to the finish line. Your brain is healing itself so stay sober and each passing day you should improve
Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I am on day 38 and I still have anxiety. I am supposed to go away this Friday with my wife and going to the airport freaks me out. I try drinking a lot of water and just stepping back when I feel awful, then trying again.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

exercise!

Calms everything-your mind & body.

Gets you to centered & balanced.

Physically relaxed

Emotionally calm

Mentally focused

&

Spiritually aware
Old 02-16-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You should see your dr. about getting your anxiety under control. Personally, I was diagnosed with two anxiety disorders which rendered me quite useless. I could not get into my car without thinking there were a hundred eyes just staring at me. Same with going to a restaurant alone. But my dr. helped with encouraging me to see a therapist and some Lexapro.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

Thank you all for the input. After I forced myself out of the door I felt better, but certain moments are intensely tough for me. Exercise helps A LOT, although sometimes the anxiety of actually starting the exercise inhibits the action from happening entirely. Medications scare me because the few I tried reacted poorly and got in the way of my education, relationships, and other responsibilities for weeks... That being said I know it takes time to find the right one, I just feel like I don't currently have that time.

I think I will find some holistic methods such as breathing as previously mentioned, and force myself out that dam door because boy does fresh air help!! Thank you all for the suggestions, sobriety feels possible knowing that many of you were able to overcome some of the anxiety and didn't need to self medicate with booze to do it!
Old 02-16-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

About the only thing that works (medication aside, and that can be a slippery slope) is to get out there and find your way on the way.

By venturing out more and more, you find out that your fears and anxieties are mostly all just that.

Mental demons that will lose their power as you confront them.

Writing also helps.

There is a strange thing that happens when you do that.

Seeing it in writing, your brain goes "Oh look, it's written down now, I can shut up about that"

And, seeing them, fears etc, in black and white, they look right sized.

When they are in your head, they can seem bigger than Texas.