Notices

Take me back

Old 02-15-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Take me back

Every day i was sober I felt great. But there are days when i feel i need to have a drinks. Socially and just a chance to blow off steam from daily life. The question is "Do i enjoy waking up sober or do i enjoy the social drinking friends i have made over the years?" This is tough to figure out. I was told by a friend that quitting drinking by yourself is very difficult. He mentioned a meeting group but i was not willing to go. So, situations arose and i , on a several occasions , had some drinks. One time i drank and puked in my truck. The same happened on another occasion. Then again in a friends restaurant bathroom. My mind said that it was because i was out of drinking shape. I believe this is a trick. I have run into people while drinking, some glad i was back, others asked why are you drinking? I said boredom. The fact is that i love being around the crowd laughing and telling jokes. I missed it. At this point i am managing a situation. Do people who drink have to manage there drinking? I dont think so. So here i am, one foot on both sides of the track. Where is this train heading? I dont know. I am back on this site because it opens my mind to changes that i know need to happen. IM BACK!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it's not the engine that kills us utbb

it's the caboose

glad to see you back
Old 02-16-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome back.

When the negative consequences of drinking outweighed the (rapidly dwindling) positive effects of drinking I knew it was time to quit. Seems like you are at or near that point. Only you can decide.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 02-16-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sobriety is just as progressive as drunkenness. Give it a chance.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcomeback, usedtobebrave.

Most of us have devoted a huge amount of time to our alcoholism.

Allow yourself the time to become truly comfortable in your sober-skin; it may take some time but the freedom of sobriety is worth the effort.

Support is very important. SR is a great tool; try truly working it; sign-in often; read and respond to threads; start your own. Get to truly understand your alcoholism - your triggers, your AV - formulate a plan of defense.

Good to see you back.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi, UTBB, people who don't have a drinking problem rarely join forums for alcoholics, or spend much time analysing their intake, so I'm going to assume you do have a problem.

Many of us have spent years on the sort of back-and-forth you're going through right now before we finally worked out we had to stop for good. This decision was often followed by the need to re-adjust our social lives and the way we have fun.

I can honestly say that if I went out with a group of friends and drank I'd have fun, but experience has taught me that it wouldn't stop there, and I'd be damaging my mind and body with alcohol before long. I choose not to drink at all because I know that's how it's going to end.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk Usedtobebrave
Old 02-16-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

These posts are so true, thank you.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back,

You will be able to find social activities that you enjoy in your sober life. You don't need to be bored. It does take some changing and adapting, but you can have a great sober life.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Usually if you are asking if you have a problem, you already know the answer. Most of the time prop who dont have a problem never ask or even think about if they jave a problem or not.

Seems like drinking to the point of being sick tends to happen often for you. Doesn't sound like things at moving in the right direction. Sober people go to partys too and socialize and tell jokes. You can auit if ypu want but you have to want it and not just be in sometimes. Good luck in your decision.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
When the negative consequences of drinking outweighed the (rapidly dwindling) positive effects of drinking I knew it was time to quit.
I didn't get the above memo before it was too late for me.

I'll add that I was told I am a lot funnier and have more fun since I quit drinking a year ago. Whoda thunk it?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can have fun laugh and let off steam without drinking. It's more rewarding and no bad consequences! You need sober friends it makes all the difference!
Old 02-16-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back Usedtobebrave!!