Notices

1 week & feel like crap!!!

Old 02-13-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 week & feel like crap!!!

Hi everyone,

It's been 1 week since my last drink. It's been a very long week! I feel like total crap! I don't remember feeling this bad back in 2008 at the beginning of my 5.5 years of sobriety (before my relapse). I'm also 7 years older so maybe that's it...

Anyway, my main complaints are extreme exhaustion, slight nausea, head aches & BAD anxiety. I quit smoking 7 days too so it's a double whammy! I NEVER want to feel like this again. I'm truly more tired than I was after giving birth 3 times! (Not joking!)

I am not asking for medical advice b/c I know it's not allowed but just checking in & complaining. I guess I could use a little encouragement. Do any of you guys remember feeling like crap early on? My body is probably busy trying to repair itself!

Thank you & have a nice, sober weekend! I hope you are all doing well. :-)
Old 02-13-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
My body is probably busy trying to repair itself!
yup.
Of course it is
good job on one week !!!!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OMG , yeah the first 2 weeks were the hardest , hardly knew where I was half the time , could barely stand up...Lost total track of time..

I am smoker too and plan to quit , but I don't think I could handle both at the same time...One thing at a time for me ..

Just get some rest and stay hydrated and from what I hear , avoid the Tylenol for pain meds...

It'll get easier..

Old 02-13-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First few weeks I was shattered, went to work, came home and crashed, give your body what it needs, sleep, food, fluids!!

It's all going to take time, the body can't repair years of drinking over night, it needs to do it's thing at it's own pace!!

Hang in there Serenidad!! 1 Week is fantastic!!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You could be describing the first few weeks of me quitting. It is amazing what a number the alcohol does on your system and how much it turns us on our heads. My sheer exhaustion and general anxiety were through the roof. I never wanted to feel that way again.

There is so much work that our bodies need to do to get us back to a place of balance in our brain chemistry and feelings. time in abstinence is the one sure fire way to keep you healing and moving forward.

You can do this!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on one week. I was absolute wreck myself just from quitting alcohol for a good week at least. Quitting nicotine on top of that will add to the misery most certainly. And for many, subsequent detoxes are worse than the previous. Try and keep that in mind when you have a craving....if you have to do it again, it will most likely be even worse.

Are you doing meetings or seeking any other local support? That can really help. You haven't really been posting too much here either...don't forget we are always here if you need us.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

No question that it does get harder after each relapse and, as you said, getting older doesn't help. Just keep the thought that you never have to do it again.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Congrats on one week. I was absolute wreck myself just from quitting alcohol for a good week at least. Quitting nicotine on top of that will add to the misery most certainly. And for many, subsequent detoxes are worse than the previous. Try and keep that in mind when you have a craving....if you have to do it again, it will most likely be even worse. Are you doing meetings or seeking any other local support? That can really help. You haven't really been posting too much here either...don't forget we are always here if you need us.
Yes I have been going to lots of meetings and when I am not there, I am sleeping! That's been my life the last week. Sleep...meeting...eat...fluids...sleep....meeting. ...etc.

I have truly been too tired to post on SR. I have read other posts though. It's really awful to feel this tired (like a truck ran over me) but it helps to be reminded that it gets better.

Thank you for helping me everyone. " Hope" is key for people in recovery...at least THIS alcoholic.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done on a week SerenidadI'm on 45 days for the booze (28 years of not smoking)

I had similar symptoms (no headaches but bad stomach cramps)

They have all pretty much worn off. The one bad thing is that I am still sleeping poorly but hopefully it isn't a permanent state of affairs.

Five and a half years is awesome - it shows that you can do it
Old 02-13-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Well done on a week Serenidad I'm on 45 days for the booze (28 years of not smoking) I had similar symptoms (no headaches but bad stomach cramps) They have all pretty much worn off. The one bad thing is that I am still sleeping poorly but hopefully it isn't a permanent state of affairs. Five and a half years is awesome - it shows that you can do it
45 days is awesome! I'm glad to hear it gets better. I truly can't remember feeling this bad at the beginning of my sobriety the first time around. Oh well...it is what it is. As others have said...I never have to feel this way again.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just hit 2 weeks today & I still feel like a school bus or two or three ran me over. The feeling is truly awful, but I'm hopeful that with time our bodies will heal. The good news is that we dont have to go back ever. Just keep moving forward. Nice job on that first week!
Old 02-13-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by drinkingdinos View Post
I just hit 2 weeks today & I still feel like a school bus or two or three ran me over. The feeling is truly awful, but I'm hopeful that with time our bodies will heal. The good news is that we dont have to go back ever. Just keep moving forward. Nice job on that first week!
Great job DD! A school bus is a little lighter than a semi truck, right? So it's a little better at 2 weeks than it was at 1? Haha
Old 02-13-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Listen to your body, Serenidad; it is sending you important messages. If you are tired, sleep; if you are hungry, eat. Healing requires energy and sustenance.

Good job on a week.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

The older I got, and the more years drinking, the harder it got to feel ok again...but I did - and you will too Serenidad

D
Old 02-13-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey! I'm on Day 7 also... second time that I've made it this far in the past couple of months of trying (over and over). I am absolutely EXHAUSTED in the morning, and pretty much the rest of the day too. Overall I am feeling better mentally and emotionally. Just so darned weak and tired. I thinks it's part of the process. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-13-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Serenidad I quit both in March 2013, it can be done. Focus on what you can do not what you are giving up. Go easy on yourself at home, if you can get meals on the table and the kids off to school for the first week or two you are doing well.

Do you have a hobby or pastime you really enjoy? What about picking it up again?
Old 02-13-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

oops

oops hit a button by mistake - will try to delete

Last edited by charlieinthebox; 02-13-2015 at 02:38 PM. Reason: self explained in message
Old 02-13-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Do any of you guys remember feeling like crap early on? My body is probably busy trying to repair itself!
No, I don't remember.

And I hope your sobriety lasts so long that you forget how bad you feel now.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In my many detoxes after numerous lapses and relapses I felt absolutely dreadful. No appetite at all, nausea, shaking, sweating, dry reaching and days in bed. I never really had headaches so that may be down to the smokes but the second I pick up, I'm gone and then I have to start dreading the inevitable detox symptoms. Funny how my brain has such a short memory when I'm feeling better. So I'm day 4 and the appetite is back, the fog has cleared and I'm back to meetings but still exhausted. I totally agree that it's your body getting rid of the crap and the brain chemistry trying to right itself. I guess I'd say just take it easy, be kind to yourself and hang in there. I've just joined this site but man it's helping already to have all this extra support
Old 02-13-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sleep and pedialyte! Staying hydrated and rested is key here. I felt like major crap the last quit. This one not so much. I guess each time is different.