Notices

Memory problems!?

Old 02-13-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Memory problems!?

Did you experience memory problems in early recovery? I'm really struggling to read much and really comprehend it. In fall I start college and worry that I have damaged my brain a lot from opiate use and drinking that now I will not be able to learn new things.

OK, I know I'm making a big deal, but I guess just want some re-assurance from those of you who have more sober time. And tips or advice what did you do to help your brain heal?

I feel like a "mummy" some times of the day - just doing things as if in auto-pilot without remembering much.

[English is my second-language, sorry for any mistakes]
Old 02-13-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, with short term memory sometimes, not constantly. I also had crappy attention/concentration span at times, so I had to break down tasks into small fragments to get anything done.

This is normal in early sobriety -- our brains go through tremendous changes, and learning/memory processes are part of a very large number of mechanisms, what the brain does and how we function, no surprise it's affected. In most cases I think everything comes back with time, and sometimes much better than ever given that we take care of ourselves in a variety of ways in recovery.

Maybe a doctor visit would not hurt though for a physical. Alcohol abuse can also cause nutritional deficiencies and other problems, some of which affect memory. And many of these are easy to correct with treatment.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First off, you two write so well I would never guess English is your second language!

Second, I experienced this a few days ago and it kinda made me think, oh no what have I done!
I was out with my children which I have on the weekends and later that evening reflecting on the day I couldn't recall bits and pieces for a bit. We had a lot of fun but it scared me a bit, it was kinda like driving a distance and being on autopilot. I figured its an early recovery thing.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

double post
Old 02-13-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my first few months of sobriety, I was in a panic thinking I had killed off half my brain cells. I always fancied myself reasonably smart, but when I quit drinking I felt like an absolute space cadet. Incompetent basically. I have lots of long meetings at work, and some days I felt like I couldn't even follow what was going on. It was seriously worrying!

But I'd say this started getting noticeably better for me in the third month. It takes some time but I think the brain is just adjusting, healing, and slowly bouncing back. Now I find that I'm actually expressing myself more coherently and focusing better than during my drinking days, so that's further motivation to stay away from alcohol.

Once you quit, you can really appreciate the damage you were doing, even for those of us who felt we were "functioning well."
Old 02-13-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Same here, memory and general brain function was not working correctly with the first 2 months of recovery. Sometime during the 3rd month, I started to get old memories back, doing simple math, remembering directions and paying attention in conversations became much easier.

Now that I am entering the 4th month, it is still improving, and my emotions are all starting to get that much better too. The brain takes a long time to heal, and it is a gradual process.

Abstinence is the key, diet and exercise also both help!!!
Old 02-13-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good point about diet, and I've seen many people recommend taking vitamins during recovery to make sure the brain is getting the nutrients it needs. Can't hurt.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeap, for years when I was drinking I'd know in the morning where my keys, wallet and phone where, and then when I quit my memory and mind was all over the place, forgetting things, not remembering things, it was a bit crazy for some time!!

But everything finally adjusted, so hang in there!!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yessir , short term , long term...any version of memory was just plain shot for weeks...

I was lucky enough to remember where I lived , let alone remember how to drive the car to get there...

Sounds like an over-exaggeration , but at times it felt that way...

Still have yet to find my brain , but I have a feeling I am sitting on it...
Old 02-13-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah. Memory loss was scaring me to death. I could not remember the names of people that I worked with everyday. I still have my phone list highlighted with their names for quick searches. I was stumbling over simple words. I could not complete coherent thoughts. I think it was 6 months before I realized this had passed over.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

My head was 'woolly' for a time...but it all came back eventually Placebo