Notices

Tiredness and quitting booz

Old 02-12-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tiredness and quitting booz

Two months 18 days sober today.

Good news is the anxiety is almost gone gee that went from severe panic attacks to not wanting to leave the bedroom or house in the first 6 weeks or so. Dizziness and groggynes has gone.

Biggest bugger now is tiredness. Passed the GP checkup. Doc sais to work on sleep routine. Going to bed and getting up at similar times is slowly working. Valerian helped a bit too.

What ive noticed is that when I drank I wouldnt focus on or notice tiredness so much as the beer took care of that. Its taken (taking) a while just to get used to and recognize im tired again..as strange as rhat sounds id forgotten what it feels like :-).

Just finished a 5 day shift. Got 4.5 hours the first night then 5, then 5.5 last couple so it improves. But im still pretty buggered vague at work on 5 to 6 hours spec. By end of shift. My view is my body is still healing from all the abuse. It used to be the norm to stay up drinking till midnight then get up at 530 and struggle like desth throughout the day till I go home for a beer.

Love to hear youre tips and experiences on managing sleep, work, tiredness in recovery ad well as hear how your going.

Cheers

Justin
Old 02-13-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Justin congrats on 2 months 18 days try this for tips on sleep Relaxation Techniques | University of Maryland Medical Center

10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices

Hope this helps Justin
Old 02-13-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i slept all the time for the first 2 months. i was always tired and could not keep myself awake. I've been getting back to a more normal routine recently.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I slept a lot at first too, but later realized it wasn't good restful sleep so my doc put me on Trazodone. That made a big difference and after that I felt more rested. The hardest part for me was giving myself extra breaks to mentally catch up. Our brains and bodies are in recovery mode and need some extra TLC so don't be afraid to be lazy on purpose. As far as work goes I would just stay at my desk more often and consciously try to slow myself down (with the occasional walk to wake up a bit). Also have had the vertigo/ dizziness and wobbliness when walking...that's overall gone down but comes and goes. I chalk that up to being part of the healing process.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"My view is my body is still healing from all the abuse."

I would not argue with that observation. I will add that in some of situations if I focused too much attention, they seemed to become part of my subconscious and become another thing to work out.

BE WELL
Old 02-13-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantastic Justin!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 02-13-2015, 11:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A big thing aside from physical ly healing from alcohol is, ive really had to change my lifestyle. Ive since come to realise that drinking alcohol wasnt the only bad thing I was doing to my body...

I was working on 4 to 5 hours sleep, eatjng 3 times my normal salt sugar and carb intake also. Im working on trying to get some normality back into my sleepung paterns so that im not tired all the time. Now thatim not knocking myself out with alcohol..