Notices

Your Lucky Sober Weekender Thread Feb 13-15

Old 02-12-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Bah Valentine's Day....thanks Olive at least I will get one this year.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

35 years ago I could mimic that vocal note for note...

I had to scamper to make dinner and the queen declares a nap time...
holding off on making the venison loins - always better not warmed up.
she goes to class from 3 to 830, then works from 11 to 730.

who really is the lucky man

there is a good place to eat for Saturday - then she has to work anyway that night,
Old 02-12-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Since we had the cop last weekend, I had to post this for this weekend.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Strat, that's wrong...just wrong.

We need auditory cleansing

Old 02-12-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Strat, that's wrong...just wrong.

We need auditory cleansing
You know they have eggs and bacon spandex...
Old 02-12-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Maybe with the right shirt....
Old 02-12-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. ...I'm in for the weekend. I hope I can keep up with this thread.
BigS...I think your valentine's weekend getaway sounds lovely and your girlfriend is a lucky woman . A small box of chocolates would be thoughtful also.
Well, I don't have a valentine this year. But I'm also so happy with my own little world that I'm not looking either. Maybe someday I'll be interested again.
Nice plans for the weekend but I'm not going to overdue it like I did last weekend.
Welcome to all you newcomers! If this is your first sober weekend, stick with us and join in. This is how most of us have done it.
I'll see you all later -
Old 02-12-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Yeesh LB, I feel your pain. I told my girlfriend well in advance that I rented the bungalow as "our gift to each other", or some mumbo-jumbo like that. Here's hoping when she shows up tomorrow, all she's got is a backpack! HAF I will probably throw in that box of chocolates for security measures. Good plan. And don't worry LB - you'll be okay! If you can put alcoholism in a headlock, you can handle these curveballs with ease.

Funny story: Back in college in the early '90's I was scrambling at the last minute for a V-Day gift. Stores were closing, nothing was open, and I had a date looming. So at about 8pm, right before I left to meet my date, I did the only thing I could think of: I called up the "International Star Registry". Their ads often appeared on late-nite TV around that time and I happened to notice the commercial in the background as I was getting ready. For just $33.95, you could name a star after someone, they claimed. Sold! I showed up at my girlfriend's door empty handed...but took her out on the balcony and pointed to the sky and said "there's your gift" and probably muttered that her eyes were still more beautiful or some cheesy thing. The certificate showed up about a week later. LOL. I'm pretty sure that the star doesn't actually exist, and even if it does, scientists don't refer to it by my ex-girlfriend's name. Regardless, I consider it $33.95 well spent!
Old 02-12-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Long day working 2 jobs once again. How geeky am I that I really enjoy doing other people's taxes? Well... usually. I still get in fights with the software sometimes and that's annoying. Otherwise I like it. I'm also getting really good client feedback. The company sends clients a survey after their taxes are done and my survey responses and comments have been very good. It's fun to be good at something I want to be good at.

Keep cranking on the sobriety, Weekenders.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hey Non,
I do my taxes with that software that has been having issues lately. I find it fits my needs, but I am a little concerned. Do you suppose it is safe to use? I am still waiting for a couple more documents before I can proceed.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Did you pay for it? If not you might want to use something else just to be safe. You can get free software and filing at the IRS Free File site, but like everything at the IRS - there are AGI limits. Make too much money and you have to pay.

I did my kids' taxes on different software and the one I like most was taxslayer.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thanks, Non!
I do it online and pay at the end. I can't do the free stuff, I have to do deductions and what not, but I have been using it for years and I hate change. I may shop around while I am waiting for my stuff to arrive, or maybe they will get their act together by the time I will file.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Non, I think its great that you like doing other people's taxes. Its a great service and necessary.

BigS, great star registry story! I've been hearing the commercials on the radio for a few weeks now. I often wondered who bought the naming rights. Boyfriends at a loss

It will be my husband and son for the valentines day. Daughter has more active social life. Slumber party though she isn't sure she wants to sleep over.

I'm off to bed soon. I'm tired and throat is scratchy. I'm hoping it isn't a cold. And the weather is cold too. Freezing.

Weasel, are you going to post pics? Hopefully there aren't any pedestrians lost in a sidewalk avalanche.

Bed time. For me, anyway. But first is ice cream. For the throat. Honest!
Old 02-12-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

wow time flies. I'd been looking at fly patterns...
I gotta say after eating venison regularly - I can barely stomach farm raised beef.
I did manage to get the last able for 8PM on Saturday at a place that serves great food. Called them at 10 o'clock she said two left, 1 at 8 1 at 4.
Windy as heck here - going down to zero F tonight.
I was able to get 4 pairs of boots, sweaters heavy winter jacket, knit scarf, hat and misc warm things to the gal who is making a clothing run into Philly to distribute to homeless.

BigS - reminds me that I always managed to not have a girlfriend on valentines day - call my thrifty . But the star registry thing - it's great for nieces and nephews and grandkids, but girlfriend? C'mon Man! I suppose it is like the weather channel naming snowstorms. Nobody else really cares but the weather channel.

almost forgot - STRAGERTY, I can't believe I lasted 2 minutes into that.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I'm in for another sober weekend! I've spent the past 2 weekends close to SR and that was what helped me make it through! Everyone here has been so supportive!
Old 02-13-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

For those newbies under 100 posts IfYouCanDream; hillbillygirl; BrighterDayz; Jen73 a big welcome!!! The weekender can move quick... glad to have you join in the sober fun!

Behan has under a 100 posts and I think most have all been on the weekenders and on your 6th? weekend? LOL Good to see you!

A special call out to Tetra!!

This weeks humor... wowz!!! eggs and bacon pants.... I would rather wear these!!! Right 2WT!!!

And the fact you prompted me to put two words in google I would never have considered... SPAM & Pants...

Old 02-13-2015, 01:44 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend! Got a day off today because I just needed a longer weekend. Been tired and emotional recently so thought I'd give myself a break! Going to hit an AA meeting Saturday morning and got a date with netflix Saturday night. Have a good one everyone!
Old 02-13-2015, 02:21 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Non, I think its great that you like doing other people's taxes. Its a great service and necessary.
Awwwww...thanks! But, I have to tell you that the company I am working for charges WAY too much for that service. They gouge low income people who don't know how to file their own taxes. (You can read a good explanation of that here.) I sometimes cringe when the final fee pops up on the screen. A few nights ago I actually blurted out "Oh c'mon!" at the screen (in front of the client) when the fee screen appeared. Unfortunately, the fees are set by corporate and I have no power to alter them.

Truth be told, I plan to open my own tax service and freelance next year and I am using this year to get some experience. I'll enjoy it more when I can control the fees being charged.

Sobriety fuels that ambition.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Lovesunrises View Post
I'm in for another sober weekend! I've spent the past 2 weekends close to SR and that was what helped me make it through! Everyone here has been so supportive!
Hey Lovesunrises! Did not see you and you were right in front onpf me! Welcome!
Old 02-13-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice