Notices

Your Lucky Sober Weekender Thread Feb 13-15

Old 02-12-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!! . . . you mean to tell me leprechauns aren't lucky??!!

Old 02-12-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I don't know why there is so much fuss over Valentine's Day.
I'm much more excited about Pancake Tuesday
Old 02-12-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

OOOOooooOOOO pancake day !!!

sugar and lemon at the ready …. 17th get ready .. flip flip ..

m
Old 02-12-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Is there still room for me? I'm all in & I can drive sober!! LOve saying that!!!
Old 02-12-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
I'm in.

I'm at the hairdressers. I told her to cut it short for spring. With each snip of hair that fell to the floor, I could feel myself relax.
Spring is a time of regrowth, and I too shall rise from the ashes.
Tetra - I have a haircut tomorrow. I won't be cutting it short though...just a few inches. I DID cut it VERY short about 5 years ago. I loved it actually. BUT it was when i was about 25 lbs lighter...I don't think my chubby face looks good with short hair anymore. So I'll stick to the length for now.

Other than that, I don't have much on tap for the weekend. I have a feeling I'm going to be a little down on Saturday, with it being Valentines day here in the states. Not a big deal, but it does serve to remind me that I'm not coupled up when everyone else seems to be.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

I'm always in for a sober weekend! I really will need the support for sure. So don't be surprised at me posting over the weekend. I'm feeling kind of triggerish again.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think it's Valentine's Day weekend everywhere...I know that here in Guatemala they certainly celebrate it! I am taking the girlfriend up to the lake, I rented a nice little private bungalow for us with a view. That's the gift...that's it! No romantic scavenger hunts, no rose petals waiting on the floor when we arrive, no horsedrawn carriage or a mariachi band. I absolutely HATE Valentine's Day because I feel like I always need to do something extra. Another gift? Flowers? Will she be hurt if I don't do anything extra like in The Movies? Did I do enough? Aaah, Valentine's Day
Old 02-12-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm hoping to get through this weekend without booze. Do any of you have tips for the woman who has gotten sober and started drinking again many, many times? Last week, I stayed sober Tuesday - Saturday then caved to the AV on Saturday night. And drank until Monday night.
I'd like this weekend to be different. I'm planning on a couple of good runs since it will be nice and sunny, and cleaning out closets in preparation for an upcoming move.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

let's see, Mr Lincoln's Birthday today. Hurray for the five dollar bill! You can keep the penny.
Friday the 13th, followed by Valentine's day, followed by wife's birthday, followed by the official presidents day hoiday, followed by PANCAKE Day? - Fasnacht Day maybe or donut day - the Tuesday before lent also mardi-gras, followed by ash weds for the Catholics/Christians and the beginning of the lenten season followed by the beginning of next week's weekender thread. phew!

When I was a kid I never understood what my mom was saying = fas nacht day? I thought it was "frost nut" day. Yes sir, frost up my nuts, delicious. Not to be confused with the invented doughnut day in June for a different reason. She would make these "doughnuts" - more like a glob of dough and deep fry it in grease/crisco then place them on brown paper bag material to soak up the grease then dredge them in 10X sugar. Whoah! And of course the sugar would go on while they were still warm and greasy -imagine that mess. tasty though as I recall.
Anything fried in bacon fat with powdered sugar thrown on it gotta be good. And good for ya!
Old 02-12-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I am in!

And could defly use some luck right now)
Old 02-12-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

the first thing you gotta do lilac is to make sure you don't have any alcohol in your home.
the second thing you need to do is to not go anywhere you can pick up alcohol.
the third thing you gotta do is make sure you follow 1 and 2 above.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi Lilac ,
for me i used delayed gratification exercise . I'd do everything possible to take the option off the cards for today , tomorrow … try and kick the decision into the long grass of next week .
Like dangling the carrot in front of the donkey , you never reach consumption … but it got me through by putting it off for 24 hours ..

Also i challenged my thinking , why did it always end up with me saying fiddlesticks i'll drink , rather than me saying fiddlesticks i'm gonna stay sober WHATEVER . i tried the latter option and it worked …

I also made my home and my bed a "fortress" against alcohol .. none allowed in the home , no shopping done on the weekend to get tempted , no money held in cash and cards put in an awkward place , i got up late and went to be early ..

If you go out for walks make sure they just don't "happen" to be past the store or shop selling booze .. and make sure you have no money or cards with you ..

Bestwishes, m
Old 02-12-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
I don't know why there is so much fuss over Valentine's Day.
I'm much more excited about Pancake Tuesday
Tetra I could not agree more!! That's why this thread was about Friday the 13th and nothing about that dreaded fake holiday!!

Really good to see new faces!! Welcome to the weekender!

I bought everything for a great french toast tomorrow... working from home.

Have a three day weekend and off Monday to celebrate all those old dead guys... dead old guys? Well you get me... they are not with us but we get free time off!! Woo HOO!

I have some things to take care of this weekend that will keep me away from technology for a bit... But I will be around before and after... Ready to relax tonight.

And as far as luck... I have $100 worth of scratch tickets... I will keep you posted!

Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm in--and I, too, am getting a haircut tomorrow!
Old 02-12-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Definitely in. Love Friday the 13th. My son was born on a Friday the 13th 9 years and 9 months ago tomorrow, so I always love then they fall together!

Stay strong and have a great weekend everybody!
Old 02-12-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Wow, all the action! Strat, you said more clearly the point of not coasting. No resting on the laurels. In complacency is danger.

BigS, I'm glad you are OK and the cabin sounds far better than the scattered petals, treasure hunt, etc. I've never been a fan of Valentines Day. No plans here. But I am off today because it's Lincoln's birthday and government offices are closed. And I am off Monday for President's day. My boss is smarter than I am. She took of Wednesday and Friday and gets six days off for two vacation days.

Lilac, some good advice above. Post and read a lot.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Fresh sausage, anyone? I love this sign and went by just to take the pic today as I was near. I think it still lights up. Need to go by at dusk.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

And in case you can't see it clearly, its a flock of pigs climbing into a meat grinder.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Old 02-12-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

This ones better.