Notices

Checking in

Old 02-11-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

We are checked in and in the Cathay Pacific lounge in Vancouver. It's a really good thing I'm sober because I walked around a corner and there's a cooler full of beer and literally 6 big liquor bottles hung upside down on the wall with spigots attached. It's unattended and free, so in other circumstances things would be going doooooooown hill from here. I don't feel in danger of caving, but I have to admit it set me back a bit when I saw that.

We will be in Hong Kong in about 18 hours, so I just need to put it out there that alcohol is not an option during the flight. I'd like to set up an accountability to SR that I won't drink during the flight and will check in here once we arrive.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good flight Lance

D
Old 02-11-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
leb

Hi Lance

Good for you mate. Yeah, we are all here backing you. Stay strong
Old 02-11-2015, 11:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Safe journey Lance
Old 02-12-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Have a good flight, Lance.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're doing great. Look forward to your check in from the other side of the pacific.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Well done for resisting the free bar Lance, and have a good flight.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have a good flight lance. Good for you on coming here and analyzing the situation.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

safe travels Lance! keep checking in
Old 02-12-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Looking forward to your arrival post! Keep at it, good job resisting what could of been a bad situation
Old 02-12-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How was the flight Lance?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Lance!!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just remember how miserable it is to be drunk (followed by the even worse misery of a hangover) in a hotel room/on a plane/ on the road/ in a foreign country.

I'm not sure if this is a work trip or a fun trip, but I've personally been loaded on BOTH and it is an AWFUL feeling. I don't even need to share any details about drunken work trips -- suffice to say, it's the kind of thing you will severely (and instantly) regret even if you get lucky and it doesn't cost you your career.

And getting drunk on "fun trips" is really no fun at all. I have been fortunate enough to take several "dream vacations," which were promptly ruined because I drank them all away. I would talk myself into it with sayings like "Isn't this what vacation is for?" and "It's not fair that everybody else gets to unwind and indulge and I have to sit here sober" and also "Look at these amazing drink specials! I've never tried this before/can't get this back home. I will feel totally deprived if I don't try it now."

I had to seek medical care in a third world country once from alcohol poisoning. It was one of the most upsetting experiences of my life. I could barely communicate with the doctor and medical staff, I had no idea what was going on around me, I racked up a huge bill (alcohol poisoning wasn't covered by my travel insurance -- no surprise there). I had IVs placed in me that I don't remember getting, with needles that may or may not have been clean. I received medication from a really scary pharmacy (for some reason, the doctor said we had to hire a courier to get the pills from outside of the hospital, and I paid an arm and a leg for something I probably didn't need/that might not have been real meds).

My spouse was a witness to this entire thing and not only did I ruin our vacation, but I scared him half to death. He was not only in the awful position of having to seek out medical transport for me in a foreign country where he did not speak the language, but he also was present in the hospital while I was getting stuck with all kind of needles and fluids and he had no way to stop any of it, or understand what was going on.

I didn't mean to ramble, but I have not thought about this experience in years. I try NOT to think about it. It was one of the worst times of my entire life. I destroyed an expensive once-in-a-lifetime dream vacation to an exotic locale and, more importantly, I put my life (and my marriage) on the line.

All for a drink.

Don't do it. It's not worth it -- ever. Free drinks used to really tempt me, but it's important to remember that for people like us there's no such thing as a "free drink."

Last edited by NightNDay; 02-12-2015 at 10:25 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-12-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

I am so happy you are staying sober Lance, a trip is so much more wonderful when you can actually experience it!

Old 02-12-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello from Hong Kong! The flight went well and alcohol was not an issue on the flight. I did have a moment of wavering in the airline lounge in Vancouver when I saw that vodka bottle there for the taking, almost as if I could take a little break from sobriety because outside of Canada wouldn't count. I quickly realized that for what it was and committed to a sober trip so now on for a day of exploring Hong Kong! Thanks for all the support!
Old 02-12-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Lance have fun in hong kong
Old 02-12-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah for getting to Hong Kong sober enjoy your trip.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful time, Lance, in Hong Kong. Great job in getting there sober.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you Lance. You're doing a great job.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Nicely done! Hong Kong must be a cool place to visit!