Notices

Checking in

Old 02-14-2015, 02:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Nicely done Lance. Thanks for reminding me I have over $500 in useless Hong Kong currency I never converted back many years ago. doh!
Old 02-14-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

2 days in Hong Kong have felt like a week! It's exciting, stimulating, exhausting, frustrating, wonderful and everything imaginable rolled into a kaleidoscope of sensual experiences. It's like all the pictures you ever have seen but nothing can prepare you for it. We will go out and get lost on purpose, just hop on a bus or streetcar going who knows where and end up in some incredible place where you just end up standing awestruck on a street corner with a dumb grin on your face while the whirlwind of Hong Kong sweeps over you in a rush of sights, sounds and smells.

This afternoon we head out on our next leg with a 3 hr flight to the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai where we will spend a few days with a friend and her husband before we head north to have some R&R in her childhood village nestled on the Thai-Burmese border. I have a feeling our adventure is about to go in a whole other exciting direction.

I'm so grateful for the sobriety work I've done. It's given me a base to be able to enjoy this experience in a completely different way than if I was drinking. I don't walk around thinking about not drinking - I walk around not thinking about drinking at all. When we get back to the hotel I get to hop on SR. and read a few posts to make sure I keep the work alive.

P.S. I've tried to post some pics here but they are too large and I'm not quite sure how to make them smaller.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It sounds amazing, Lance. I have many regrets about being numb while traveling. Glad you are enjoying it with a clear head & eyes wide open.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lance40 View Post
I don't walk around thinking about not drinking - I walk around not thinking about drinking at all.
Lance, this is one of the best things I've read all day!!!!

btw, on my iPad I go into edit pics and crop it down until it's small enough...I'm not much of a tech guy though.

Look forward to hearing more from y'all.....have fun and be safe!
Old 02-14-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lance40 View Post
2 days in Hong Kong have felt like a week! It's exciting, stimulating, exhausting, frustrating, wonderful and everything imaginable rolled into a kaleidoscope of sensual experiences. It's like all the pictures you ever have seen but nothing can prepare you for it. We will go out and get lost on purpose, just hop on a bus or streetcar going who knows where and end up in some incredible place where you just end up standing awestruck on a street corner with a dumb grin on your face while the whirlwind of Hong Kong sweeps over you in a rush of sights, sounds and smells.

This afternoon we head out on our next leg with a 3 hr flight to the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai where we will spend a few days with a friend and her husband before we head north to have some R&R in her childhood village nestled on the Thai-Burmese border. I have a feeling our adventure is about to go in a whole other exciting direction.

I'm so grateful for the sobriety work I've done. It's given me a base to be able to enjoy this experience in a completely different way than if I was drinking. I don't walk around thinking about not drinking - I walk around not thinking about drinking at all. When we get back to the hotel I get to hop on SR. and read a few posts to make sure I keep the work alive.

P.S. I've tried to post some pics here but they are too large and I'm not quite sure how to make them smaller.
Wow; what an incredible experience. So glad that you are having such a wonderful adventure.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Lance thanks for this thread. I'm going in a cruise in a month and will lean on this thread!
Old 02-14-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Yay, for you! Have a safe trip!
Old 02-23-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Just checking in. I'm about halfway through the vacation and my sobriety is going well. I thought the change in my routine might cause some problems, but it's actually been the opposite. I'm so busy and enjoying myself so much that I don't think about alcohol even on the odd times I'm around it. I do spend quite a bit of time staying in touch with SR.

Today we leave northern Thailand and head south for the sun and beach part of the trip. It's been quite a ride so far. I've cuddled with big tigers, played with tiger cubs, fed elephants sugar cane, gawked at fried cockroaches at local markets, walked around rice fields surrounded by banana trees, eaten exciting new foods and even crossed the border into Myanmar for a little bit.

We have been a bit off the tourist path, so as Caucasians we are a bit of an oddity. When we hope into the back of a pick up truck which serves as a local bus there are exclamations and wide eyes at our size (we are big guys) and then smiling chatter in the local language. Groups of teenagers stop and openly stare and take photos. It kind of makes me feel self conscious!

Anyway that's all I have. It feels really grounding to stay in touch with SR.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are enjoying the trip of a lifetime, Lance!!!!

And you are enjoying it sober. You will remember every moment. Well done.