SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   nearly lost my job today (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/359161-nearly-lost-my-job-today.html)

PinkGstring 02-11-2015 08:57 PM

1.5 hours chat with both my bosses :@
I was not myself yesterday according to them
To cut a long story shirt they know im in recovery and giving me a chance to think about if i want to keep my job or not.

MelindaFlowers 02-11-2015 09:26 PM

If somebody told me I was not myself yesterday I would ask him what the hell do you mean?

serenityfreedom 02-11-2015 09:37 PM

What did they mean? Is there part of your story you are leaving out?

Carlotta 02-11-2015 09:47 PM

Assuming that you were sober yesterday at work, this is exactly one of the reasons people should never tell their employers about being in recovery or having a problem.
You could be coming down with the flu, pmsing like crazy or just being a bit distracted and automatically, they'll assume it is alcohol or drug related.
That's a stigma that you will not be able to shake as long as you are at this one work place.

MelindaFlowers 02-11-2015 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Carlotta (Post 5196695)
Assuming that you were sober yesterday at work, this is exactly one of the reasons people should never tell their employers about being in recovery or having a problem.
You could be coming down with the flu, pmsing like crazy or just being a bit distracted and automatically, they'll assume it is alcohol or drug related.
That's a stigma that you will not be able to shake as long as you are at this one work place.

I agree 100 percent.

Buggirl 02-11-2015 10:18 PM

I have never ever told anyone at work I am a recovering alcoholic, for this very reason. I have said I have stopped drinking, but I am going to stop going on about that now as I think that it is getting folk suspicious. Just not going to comment anymore.

If you have already explained you are in recovery, it does make it harder for them to not look like it is victimisation if they did try and get rid if you.

PinkGstring 02-11-2015 10:20 PM

True i agree but on the other hand it's good for them to know what I'm goibg through my boss us the most empathetic boss i have ever met my manager lives with an alcoholic so who's to judge really.
I told them i really don't like what i have to do on mon wed and fridays i did also tell them i absolutely live checkouts dealing with customers.
He told me he doesnt want to me gto go.
He saw me so energised over the last two weeks but yesterday was a bad day. I told him, i cannot cobtrol my cravings and AV at the moment I'm new to yhus I'm learning.
I told him once I feel strong and good within myself i will perform better.

I'm so all over the place tjis week im happy im diwn im energetic im tired im motivated i have a lack of motivation
Im also a self employed photographer they know. He lives my wirk.
I told them, the last time I took some photos for fun i cannot remember that lobg ago.
I need my mojo back but how?
26 days today. It seems that every day is getting harder I am thinking about alcohol and drinking all the freaking time!

PinkGstring 02-11-2015 10:25 PM

It's not that they wanted yo sack me today they were wondering what theck was going on yesterday i pretty much got a choice and i have to think about it till tuesday

simplex 02-11-2015 10:46 PM

I can relate to a lack of mojo for creative projects. Sometimes if you just force yourself to start at all you will be surprised and encouraged by the results. And that gives motivation for future creativity. Day 26 is swesome too btw!

Soberwolf 02-11-2015 11:23 PM

Congrats on your 26 days PGS good luck with your choice

Thatdeliveryguy 02-12-2015 06:20 AM

Congrats on keeping the job. Stay the road and prove to them that you're worth it as a sober employee.

JoeCree 02-12-2015 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by PinkGstring (Post 5196736)
It's not that they wanted yo sack me today they were wondering what theck was going on yesterday i pretty much got a choice and i have to think about it till tuesday

I'm not sure "ultimatums" are very empathetic apparently coming from a boss who lives with an alcoholic. It really depends on what type of job you are currently doing; is it an hourly job that is simply there to pay the bills (between your photography)?If so, I'd buckle down and ask yourself whether it is worth it to work hourly under complete staring-eyes knowing that you are going through recovery. It would be enough to stress the hell out of me.

As mentioned above, IMO Recovery is something that should be kept very private, in that you can share with your closest peers, family and/or support group. Outside this, nobody under any circumstances should be able to "play" psychiatrist and pretend to know what you are going through, especially those at work. Said individuals would only leverage such information for personal gain - as is clearly the case with your boss(es).

In my work environment I have a video conference with every Friday. If any one of them knew about what I was going through, it would give them unmitigated power, and "power-struggle" is common practice in the work environment. Regardless of your position within the corporate ladder there is always someone above and below you. You are best served to remain a working employee than to try to have personal issues seep into your daily routine.

Work is to make money, end of. Differentiate the two and you will find both venues of your life much more uplifting; Work and Life - the two are not interchangeable.

serenityfreedom 02-12-2015 10:25 AM

Well if they are giving you the choice, That's a lot better than an ultimatum. So think it over, Maybe it's time for you to move on. Maybe you can't afford to yet. Only you know.
The main thing is your sobriety. This could end up very positive when you think about it.
peace-Jonathan

SoberLeigh 02-12-2015 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Carlotta (Post 5196695)

^^^ This.

Jupiters 02-12-2015 10:43 AM

yup.
this is exactly why I kick myself for being "honest" with them last May.

hate regret. but man, if I could turn back time...I woulda shut my trap. :(
now, I live in fear of ever having an "off" day.
good luck :)

ardy 02-12-2015 10:49 AM

Hi 26 days wow that is just tops... have been reading your messages.. babe enhale hold your breath and breath slowly.. it seems like your mind is racing.. slow down a bit.. take life a tiny bit slower... love the old song slow down you move to fast gotta make the morning last just kicking down the cobble stones.. looking for fun and feeling groovey... la la la .... maybe you were moving just a tiny bit to fast.. and someone saw the speed you were at.. the beginning is always hard.. you just have to find you pace of Life and Heart beat again.. prayers ardy..

PurpleKnight 02-12-2015 11:18 AM

Great job on 26 Days!! :scoregood

Anna 02-12-2015 11:53 AM

And, I would add to those who say it's a big mistake to tell people you work with that you're an alcoholic.

It's never going to work in your favor.

SarahB60 02-12-2015 01:01 PM

Great work on 26 days!!!

I won't repeat what others have stated in this thread, however I'll add one thought: everything you say to your employer CAN and WILL be used against you. Never tell your employer more than they need to know.

ccam1973 02-12-2015 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 5197717)
And, I would add to those who say it's a big mistake to tell people you work with that you're an alcoholic.

It's never going to work in your favor.

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, I simply don't drink, the rest is no one else's business at work.

Congrats on 26 days!