Notices

Transferable Sober Skills

Old 02-11-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Smile Transferable Sober Skills

I wanted to make a quick positive thread This is my 3rd stint at soberdom and I really think this is the one. I had a few months. Then 5 months and now I'm at 41 days or so. Each time I learnt something new that I could add to my arsenal to make my plan more fool proof. This time I am really on the alert for triggers, catching them early and using various techniques to combat them. Also, the difference this time is I have finally accepted that moderation doesn't work for me and that drinking isn't something I want to do anymore - at all - ever. Another thing is that I am far more chilled out and being easy with myself. Celebrating the tiniest of steps towards rebuilding my life and I really mean it when I appreciate that I've written a paragraph of work! And those paragraphs soon add up to a whole page. The same with running, I am happy to be running 2 miles a day, that will soon add up to 3, 4, 5!

Well, I am rambling now but what I realised about sober skills is that it really is transferable to all areas of life. I'm finding that I am treating other things such as weight loss, the same way as I am as not drinking. I'm looking at what isn't working and what's keeping me from my goal and adjusting course as I go. This is the most relaxed and assured I've been in a long time that I can achieve what I set out to. With a calm and confident manner, knowing that everything is salvagable if I am just honest, patient and kind to myself!
Old 02-11-2015, 02:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All sounds really positive. Well done
Old 02-11-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done you sound exactly like me comes a point and we all know it when enough is enough best of wishes
Old 02-11-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exellent post JDM this congrats on your 41 days
Old 02-11-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WoW keep it up!

Day 12 for me and I am feeling good. No more excuses for caving for me. I am deadly serious that I will not give in alcohol again. I too am looking into weight loss but not crash dieting - really looking at what food I am prepared to put into my body = no sugars, no processed crap. I agree the same mentality to deciding not to put the alcohol poison into my body!

I cant wait to get to day 41 too!!! big hugs for a great post,
Old 02-11-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

You go girl!!!!! I have had severla stints of sobriety as well, just like you I know this one is IT! It was such a relief for me to finally accept that I have no room for alcohol in my life.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job and keep it going! I know I have s similar quiet calm assurance that this time is it for me as well.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post. Keep it going Missus.

I have only one question. What the **** is that in your avatar?
Old 02-11-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

That a ninjahuhua.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Great post. Keep it going Missus.

I have only one question. What the **** is that in your avatar?
hehe it's ninja doge
Old 02-11-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Jack; great post. 41 days is fantastic!!!!! Well done.

I agree; never, ever again; alcohol is out for me - now and forever.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Day 32 here and I feel the same way, enough is enough. I would like to change other parts of my life too but right now one step at a time.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great success! Keep going!
Old 02-11-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
waking down

Originally Posted by lucyloo14 View Post
Day 12 for me and I am feeling good. No more excuses for caving for me. I am deadly serious that I will not give in alcohol again. I too am looking into weight loss but not crash dieting - really looking at what food I am prepared to put into my body = no sugars, no processed crap. I agree the same mentality to deciding not to put the alcohol poison into my body!

I cant wait to get to day 41 too!!! big hugs for a great post,
Lucy, there are some good books about Eating Mndfully. Simple concepts and practices but having the book helped keep me focused and I really got a handle on my sugar and caffeine addictions. All addictions, really. I also found that sobriety helps with my clarity and powers of choice and will. Also self compassion and not beating myself up for binging. After awhile the fight just kind of ended along with any binging behaviors.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by JackDsMissus View Post
hehe it's ninja doge
I love ninja dog lol
Old 02-11-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
Lucy, there are some good books about Eating Mndfully. Simple concepts and practices but having the book helped keep me focused and I really got a handle on my sugar and caffeine addictions. All addictions, really. I also found that sobriety helps with my clarity and powers of choice and will. Also self compassion and not beating myself up for binging. After awhile the fight just kind of ended along with any binging behaviors.
You said this beautifully. Yes I too have become very aware of my addictive nature during all of these trials and errors. Instead of fighting it, I'm trying to guide it ever so gently in the right direction. Going really slowly and steady and compassionately is the key. We didn't become addicted to drinking by having one drink, it was many, time and time again - it became a habit. The same way healthy habits don't stick after one try, it's about building momentum and having faith and patience to continue day after day until it takes on a trajectory of its own. At least this is my hope
Old 02-11-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jack, it sounds like you're doing well. And, I agree with you that patience and compassion with ourselves is very important. Many of us would be horribly critical with ourselves in a way we would never be with a friend or family member.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through JackDsMissus!!