Notices

New to this

Old 02-09-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this

Hi I am 24 years old and I am an alcoholic. I have been sober now for four months and it does not seem like it's getting any easier. I've done some
Search and talked with my boyfriend who is also in recovery. I have come to the conclusion that I am 99% sure I am going through PAWS which is post acute withdrawal syndrome. It's not something I wish to go through but it is definitely not doing me any good. I feel everything crashing down around me and I dnt know how to handle it. I'm currently seeking a sponsor to start working te steps but as of right now, I so unmotivated and depressed, I never want to get out of bed. If anyone has gone through this and has made it through it without relapsing, please do share your secrets with me.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome newstart, and congrata on 4 months sober, that's fantastic! You mention seeking a sponsor and working steps...that sounds like a great idea if you at atteending meetings. Regarding the depression, have you seen a doctor or counselor? Clinical depression is a very real and very treatable condition many of us have prior to quitting. And quitting drinking in itself is not a cure, although it can definitiely help.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best way I dealt with PAWS was to take good care of myself. Good food, exercise, and rest. PAWS doesn't last forever, it just seems like it.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you Newstart. Talking about your feelings here will help with the anxiety. We all understand.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome newstart

D
Old 02-10-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Newstart!!
Old 02-10-2015, 02:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newstart2175 View Post
Hi I am 24 years old and I am an alcoholic. I have been sober now for four months and it does not seem like it's getting any easier. I've done some
Search and talked with my boyfriend who is also in recovery. I have come to the conclusion that I am 99% sure I am going through PAWS which is post acute withdrawal syndrome. It's not something I wish to go through but it is definitely not doing me any good. I feel everything crashing down around me and I dnt know how to handle it. I'm currently seeking a sponsor to start working te steps but as of right now, I so unmotivated and depressed, I never want to get out of bed. If anyone has gone through this and has made it through it without relapsing, please do share your secrets with me.
I dont have any experience of PAWS but you'll get plenty of help here.

Getting a sponsor and working the steps is a brilliant way forward.

Welcome and wishing you well.

L x
Old 02-10-2015, 02:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hi! You just stand up and go. No other way to say it. You can't lay down. You have to get up. Stand up.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Newstart,

Im just over 2 months in and have been going throug PAWS so can relate.

Click on , my name and read the posts and replies.

Ps so long as you dont drink it will get easier, make sure youre eating fresh healthy veg and protein drinking plenty of water.

I have ups and downs, last week was really crap and felt yuk, this week feeling much better.

Have a read theres some really good responses there that have helped me considerably. Jus
Old 02-10-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, I am new to this website but not new to NA. I have a little over 11 months clean. I am wondering if I belong here. I heard in a meeting that using prescription drugs is not considered using. This confused me. As far as I understand it, NA is a program of complete abstinence from all mood/mind altering chemicals that has a caused a problem in one's life. I would appreciate all comments regarding this. If I were a newcomer and heard that message in a meeting, I do not think I would return.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't have any advice but just wanted to say hi, I'm 24 too and feeling much the same at just over 3 weeks sober. So not entirely the same situation I suppose, but I certainly relate to how yore feeling. I hope it improves for you and you start feeling better soon, I hear from sober friends PAWS does improve with taking good care of yourself
Old 02-10-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Newstart
Old 02-10-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, newstart, and congratulations on four months of sobriety.

PAWS won't last forever; things will get better. Take very good care of yourself. As others have said, eating well, getting enough rest and exercising all help.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IamhereNow View Post
Hi, I am new to this website but not new to NA. I have a little over 11 months clean. I am wondering if I belong here. I heard in a meeting that using prescription drugs is not considered using. This confused me. As far as I understand it, NA is a program of complete abstinence from all mood/mind altering chemicals that has a caused a problem in one's life. I would appreciate all comments regarding this. If I were a newcomer and heard that message in a meeting, I do not think I would return.
Welcome, IamhereNow, to SR.

I don't have any AA, NA or substance experience.

If you open a new thread in the Substance Abuse forum here at SR, you will probably receive experienced responses.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know what you are going through. PAWS is temporary. Time and sobriety are the cures. Your body and mind are healing so be kind to yourself, live healthy, and things will improve. I am at a year sober and only in the past couple months started sleeping for more than just a couple hours uninterrupted. Stay the course!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I find coming here and reading and posting helps. I'd also check with your doctor for depression. I found that medication helped get me over the worst.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have experienced PAWS twice. I am now 13 months clean from all drugs. Yes it definitely takes time to heal the body mind and spirit. PAWS dependent on degree of sickness. The good news is it gets better.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IamhereNow View Post
I'm sorry for hijacking this thread, but I can really relate to this and I actually posted in the mental health section about my most recent experience with it.

You have to decide what is right for you. Some people cannot handle any drugs, even over the counter, other people, like me, must take medicine prescribed by my doctor. Anyone spewing medical advice outside the doctor/patient relationship is dangerous and irresponsible. My life depends on me being sober, and my sobriety depends on managing my mental health issues.