Notices

Waking up early is underrated

Old 02-09-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waking up early is underrated

Normally when I go to work I take the same crowded subway, and then wait on the same long line for coffee, and it is just not really a great way to start the day.

However, this morning I decided to wake up really early and it was amazing. I beat the subway rush, got breakfast no problem, and just felt a lot more relaxed and happy.

When I was drinking, I would be too hungover to take advantage of being an early riser. However, I am definitely going to take advantage of this perk of sobriety.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

NYC early in the morning...it's beautiful
Old 02-09-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mornings rock; who knew?!?
Old 02-09-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Man - I think that realization is the secret of sobriety! Everything is literally better sober. I remember for a while I couldn't sleep when I got sober early on. I was also an early riser, which I was worried would kill me. Then I realized that my body had been so traumatized by drunk sleep that even when I got 4 or 5 hours of sober sleep, I felt like the king of the world. Then I noticed how much of life I was missing passing out at nigh - my day literally expanded by three hours at night. In the morning, instead of going for a run to kick start my body, I was actually improving my time. Long and short, you really do learn to see the physical positives of sobriety.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

I love early mornings, only not Monday mornings.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love early mornings...before everyone else is up. Amazing feeling. Early mornings in NYC especially so.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrunkTx View Post
Man - I think that realization is the secret of sobriety! Everything is literally better sober. I remember for a while I couldn't sleep when I got sober early on. I was also an early riser, which I was worried would kill me. Then I realized that my body had been so traumatized by drunk sleep that even when I got 4 or 5 hours of sober sleep, I felt like the king of the world. Then I noticed how much of life I was missing passing out at nigh - my day literally expanded by three hours at night. In the morning, instead of going for a run to kick start my body, I was actually improving my time. Long and short, you really do learn to see the physical positives of sobriety.
^^
Love this
Old 02-09-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In my later stages of drinking, I used to wake up very early in the morning in severe withdrawal. If I didn't have any wine I'd pace the house in anxiety until the store opened and I could get some. Now I sometimes wake up too early, in the middle of the night, but am so grateful that I'm not waking up in the throes of withdrawal.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I so agree with you. I really don't like rushing and/or being late, so getting up early always pays off.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Early morning person here too...I love it. Course I can't stay up past 10 but it's well worth the trade off!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

it's midnight and I'll be awake at 6....love not rushing to work every day!! It's nice to have a clear view of the world!
Old 02-09-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love mornings too, even if you don't get a lot of sleep for some reason, it's so much easier than being hung over!
Old 02-10-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

NYC... When I was in my mid twenties I commuted from Trenton NJ into 50th & 6th 30 Rock. I understand the NYC commute and can visualize the start to your day. I am so happy to read this post since you are doing great! Enjoy your early morning "me" time!!!
Old 02-10-2015, 01:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I love being up first thing. Everything seems so peaceful.

Loved this.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wouldn't say I'm an early morning person, still more of a night owl.

But mornings have a lot more going for them now, no hangover, more time in the morning so I'm not rushed, everything is a lot more relaxed these days, especially when it comes to driving and not worrying about my BAC!!
Old 02-10-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

A few years back, I got into backpacking again. Waking up in the woods, very early in the morning to start the day was so novel that I wanted that feeling everyday. The only way to get that feeling was to be sober. You can't live drunk in the woods.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Waking up early is what I do now, I've done it for nearly two years. I used to think that dawn and sunrise were the same thing, now I know they are quite different and the light show out there is incredible even on the dullest of mornings.

There is a delightful stillness when you slip out of bed and the world is asleep or going home. You drink your water, you look out, you stand and you are, simply, quietly and fully.

I find myself at that time of the morning staring down the generations of early risers, the rural pursuits, the urban schedule as it was. I am not rushed, I don't have to be anywhere but where I am. I can write, I can read, I can walk down to the beach. I can journal or not. I can open a file. Most of all I can dither.

The early morning is sweetest in the dawn and brings incredible peace.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Me as a teen would never have believed that I would be posting about the joys of morning serenity! I love it. I didn't have all the responsibilities then that I do now, so maybe it takes some 'seasoning' to appreciate. And it's a time of day that's mine for the taking....I don't ever know when I'll get home from work and what the kids' schedules will involve, so the evenings don't belong to me.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go NYC