Notices

I'm ready to give it a go

Old 02-09-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm ready to give it a go

Well like most of us here I'm a alcoholic. I'm 24 year old with a promising future ahead of me. If I don't let this destroy me. I don't have it as bad as other alcoholics. I don't have a criminal record I'm in a committed relationship and I hold a job. I just want to stop so bad. The longest I held up was just about 30 days. I relapse for around 2 weeks the went another 30 days. Now I start today I really need a support system. I can't do this by myself. I don't want to lose everything. It's so ironic because I actually work in the medical field I take care of a lot of people but not myself. Does hypnosis work?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey QH and welcome. Congrats and grabbing this bull by the horns early!

I don't know anything about hypnosis and am still pretty new at being sober so I don't have any advice. I can say that you have found a great place for support here. It has been really helpful to me over that past couple of months.

I am sure somebody with more experience will be by soon.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome QH nice to meet you
Old 02-09-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, QuietHero; glad you found us. This is a great place for support, understanding and encouragement.

I don't have any experience with hypnosis.

Again, welcome.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by QuietHero View Post
Does hypnosis work?
I see the question pretty regularly, but I have yet to read of any success. And believe me, if hypnosis worked, it would be trumpeted on these boards.

What does works is acceptance of your problem, acceptance that you can never drink again, a solid commitment to sobriety, and involvement in some form of recovery that supports that decision to quit drinking.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, QuietHero. I am glad you are here with us. I discovered SR 18 months ago, after 20 years of heavy drinking. I haven't had a drink since that day. This place, and the warm, smart, caring people that come here, have been my primary source of support.

I wish the same for you. I hope you will post often and let us know how you are doing.

Good luck.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome QuietHero. It's really not all that uncommon for those in the medical field to be alcholic, it affects people in all walks of life.

Regarding your question about Hypnosis, there's not really much info about it and as others mentioned, if it worked you would most likely hear about it here. There are many other methods that are proven to work though - AA/NA, AVRT, counseling, self help, SR itself. Some use only one, some use many - but the common factor for those who are successful is making the commitment to your sobriety each and every day. There isn't a "cure" for alcoholism - only plans/methods to live with it.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you are finding this out when you are still young. With your/our generation alcohol seems to be status quo in everything that we do. Celebrate this and that- have a drink. Feel bad- have a drink. Feel good- have a drink. Go to the beach- have a drink. Finish a final exam- have a drink. Get a promotion- have a drink. Its breaking those habits that will greatly aide in your destination. You've found a good place and people much more knowledgeable than I am.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome QuietHero

I don't know anything about hypnosis either - but finding support and making changes in your life that support your desire to be sober certainly does

I'm glad you found us
D
Old 02-09-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum QuietHero!!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the love and support. I have to find a method to fight my cravings. I don't understand that I can quit cigarettes but have a hard time this. Addiction really sucks hopefully this hypnosis video I found sparks something. I'm confused because I haven't hit rock bottom. I really don't want to.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you QuietHero. You will never regret taking this action.

I'd give anything to go back to being 24 and do what you're doing. I knew back then I was headed for trouble, but refused to admit I had no control. My life fell apart because I insisted I could use willpower to fight my addiction. I wasted decades. This won't happen to you. Glad you're here.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I know you'll find lots of support here.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi QuietHero The best thing I have learned in my recovery is find out what drinking is doing for you, and replace it. For some it is escape. For some it is a habit. For some it is a social thing they can't control. For all, it becomes a physical addiction you can't stop without a massive effort. For most, this comes after ruining many relationships and jobs because we chose to drink instead of doing something else.

For all, if you are here, is to find out what you could be doing with your time otherwise. Face that, and do it. Sounds easy, and for some it is, for a lot of us it isn't and takes a lot of time to get it right. You are still early in this disease, do it now before 20 years pass and you are a drunk crying because you didn't do it at 24.

That's what I did, don't follow my path To put it another way, if you found out you had cancer at 24, you wouldn't ignore it until it got so bad you HAD to do something, which is always too late.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the love and support. I have to find a method to fight my cravings. I don't understand that I can quit cigarettes but have a hard time this. Addiction really sucks hopefully this hypnosis video I found sparks something. I'm confused because I haven't hit rock bottom. I really don't want to.
YET... There isn't a one of us in the early stages who said, "but I haven't hit rock bottom yet"

Is this a goal of yours? To hit rock bottom? Because you can if you want, plenty of room down here.

I don't know how much you drink, but soon it won't be enough.. add on 10 years and you will be amazed at how much you drink to catch the same level of buzz and escape. Give it another 10 years, and not only will it be your main focus, you will start drinking MORE because of the damage you have done because of drinking of the last 20 years. You are not special, this will happen. I only have my words here to try and teach you this and well, I ignored all advice too so not being judgy if you continue learning on your own

I hope the hypnosis does something for you my friend, if nothing else it may give you a spark to head down the "I can find other things to do path".

We will always be here for you though, post a lot and we can share this journey with you. Not getting drunk isn't such a big deal, ONCE you stop thinking it is something to be doing
Old 02-09-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Great to meet you QuietHero. You will never regret taking this action.

I'd give anything to go back to being 24 and do what you're doing. I knew back then I was headed for trouble, but refused to admit I had no control. My life fell apart because I insisted I could use willpower to fight my addiction. I wasted decades. This won't happen to you. Glad you're here.
I don't understand don't we need will power to quit?. What must I have?
Old 02-09-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me, will power wasn't enough. I had to accept that I could never drink again. That it was no longer an option for any reason. I kept failing in my attempts at sobriety until I accepted that alcohol had no part in my life except to bring misery. And I had had enough misery for one lifetime...

I also had help from an addiction counselor, in addition to daily visits here. It's been working for over five years now.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Desire and a reason creates will power. If you naturally had the will power to not drink, would you be here?

Find the desire and the reason. Don't let the desire and reason be you, "lost your job, kids, wife and every one hates you at 44 years old"

Not telling you what to do though, if you want to go that route, go for it, plenty of "fun" times you won't recall
Old 02-09-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say hi, I'm 24 too and like you have no record, am in a relationship and have a job, so you're not alone there! Goodluck and welcome
Old 02-09-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I have a job, two kids, a house, two cars and have worked for the same employer going on 15 years. I quit drinking because I didn't want to lose all that. I wanted to regain my health and self respect. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I tried acupuncture, not hypnosis. Different thongs but for the same reason. A magic wand to make it all go away. It didn't work. Nothing worked except accepting I can't ever go back to drinking like a normal drinker and doing the work to stay quit and develop my life. So far, its worked. Life hasn't been perfect but no life is. It is better than it was, warts and all. Post and learn. Reach out. We are here.