Notices

Long-time lurker, first-time poster

Old 02-08-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long-time lurker, first-time poster

Good morning, everyone!

I’m 41 years old, and until the past year and a half or so, I never had any issues with alcohol. I never HAD to drink, never had any problems moderating when I did drink, and could always take it or leave it. I think that a couple of things that happened around the time I turned 40 somehow flipped a switch in my head. I started drinking alone, binge drinking on the weekends after my husband went to work (night shift) and the kids were in bed, hiding the bottles in the recycling, feeling guilty about my drinking, etc. Back in April, I blacked out. Fortunately, that's the only time it's ever happened, but it scared the crap out of me and forced me to admit that maybe I'd better get a handle on this problem before it gets worse.

I’ve been lurking off and on at SR since early May, I believe, when I finally started to grudgingly admit to myself and to a few of the people I care about that I might have a problem with alcohol. I managed to stay sober for 104 days from the end of May through mid-September (I even stayed sober through my father’s sudden death in July). After a week-long wine binge around my birthday in September, I am currently 134 days sober. I guess I’m drawn to post here this morning because for the past three or four days, I’ve felt my grasp on sobriety slipping again, and I feel the need to reach out to people before I do something I’ll regret.

I think I’ll stop here for now because I’m wordy, and I could go on forever.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

glad you are here!!
Old 02-08-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, MsCromulent, to SR.

I am very glad that you reached out. SR is a great place for support, understanding and encouragement.

Keep reaching out!!!!
Old 02-08-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There have been a couple times when I really struggled, too. Once was around four months and once was at six months. I've been stable since then.

Welcome to the posting side. You're going to make it through it this time.

That first drink is the one you have to avoid. If you're on the railroad tracks, it's the first car that is going to kill you, not the caboose.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are you going to AA meetings? Good for you posting here.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
There have been a couple times when I really struggled, too. Once was around four months and once was at six months. I've been stable since then.

Welcome to the posting side. You're going to make it through it this time.

That first drink is the one you have to avoid. If you're on the railroad tracks, it's the first car that is going to kill you, not the caboose.

The closest I came to caving was at 4-1/2 months, too. I was definitely feeling 'better' but was still suffering from lethargy and foggy-brain which didn't begin to lift until about six months.

So glad that I didn't because it truly gets better.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! We're so glad you found us.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So glad you are here!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome indeed, MsCromulent. It's great to have you (officially!) with us!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, MsCromulent!

Thank you so much for posting your story.

It took me a while also to surrender to the realization that if I were to live, I had to make some changes.

I am 27 days sober today thanks to SR and AA.

Grace

one decision 2 brighter.jpg
Old 02-08-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the welcome!

As far as AA meetings go, I haven't yet gone to any. I did look into local meetings. There's only one meeting per week in my town (Mondays at 8 PM); other meetings are 30+ miles away. It's easy for me to use my four daughters and their activities as an excuse for not doing this. In all honestly, I'd prefer something that's online.

My concern is that I'm swapping one addiction for others: namely spending too much time online and diet and exercise. Regarding diet and exercise -- that's something I've always been into, but when I went back to work in 2010, I stopped working out as regularly and gained about 30 pounds. I've lost that weight since I stopped drinking and started lifting weights, doing cardio, and making better food choices, but I find myself needing those endorphins and getting anxious and stabby when I can't get to the gym.

I had been feeling pretty good about things lately, but as I mentioned in another post, my online worlds intersected in a scary, creepy way the other day, and since then, I've thought about drinking to calm myself even though the situation is pretty much resolved.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Facebook is such a negative place in so many ways. I am lucky in that I have a very common name, so people can't really search and find me. Keeping worlds separate online is a skill, that's for sure. I'm not even on facebook anymore.

I think nutrition/exercise and some online time is infinitely better than drinking. With time, you'll move into other things. I don't beat myself up about not doing more stuff - I am perfectly content with my life as it is.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi there! Hopping the fence to the posting side made all the difference for me. I hope it does for you, too. Best wishes!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum MsCromulent!!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Welcome MsCromulent and well done on 134 days!

You will find the support here that you need to help power through this.

More power to you!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 02-08-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can't believe I was so nervous about posting here. You've all made me feel very welcome!

I should be able to get through the day. I'll have to do some grocery shopping later. My husband usually goes with me because I know from past experience that shopping alone at the grocery store is somewhat of a trigger for me.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ms Cromulent

I spent a lot of time here in my early days - not only did it do me no harm - it helped very much to keep me sober

D
Old 02-08-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome, ms! We really, really need others to help us. Don't forget that ( I often have)
Old 02-08-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome MsCromulent, I'm glad you posted.

It's good that you notice you'd like a little extra support at the moment. We're here for you. And, I always find my time here inspires me.