Notices

Coping with Health Anxiety.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
It took me a few weeks of sobriety to get that ONE FULL DAY of feeling good. It seemed like it was one step forward by two steps back. Its ok, we all get that way. What you need to do now, is just not drink. Do you have any happy movies you can watch? Something that will make you feel good?
Thats the thing Jryan, I am nearly 4 months sober. I've had maybe 2 days in all this time where I have felt good, I kept thinking more would come, but they havent.. My mind is haywire at the moment... I cant settle into a movie.

Something's gotta give.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hillbillygirl View Post
Thats the thing Jryan, I am nearly 4 months sober. I've had maybe 2 days in all this time where I have felt good, I kept thinking more would come, but they havent.. My mind is haywire at the moment... I cant settle into a movie.

Something's gotta give.
Ok I totally see your frustration.

A few suggestions or thoughts it would hep if you answer these so we can make suggestions but if not please think about them:
1. Are you on an antidepressant or anti anxiety?
2. How is your diet? Are you eating a ton of sugar? or carbs? Or not eating veggies?
3. Are you on any supplements/vitamins?
4. Are you working out, getting your heart rate up?
5. Are you sleeping?
6. What stress outlets do you have?
7. Do you have any face to face support?
8. Have you started any new hobbies or interests?
Old 02-09-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I concur with the other posters, Hillbilly.

I went for a physical a couple of years ago, and the PA told me I had an electrical impulse issue with my heart and a spot on my lung (I never was a cigaret smoker).

I went to a cardiologist and a pulmonologist the following week and they both told me I am A-okay - that the results from my physical exam were erroneous.

But for a week, I thought that I may spend the next few years battling cancer or some other disease or condition, followed by dying in my late 50s.

I accepted that possibility (I certainly wasn't happy about it) and knew that if I died then (or today for that matter), I have had a truly great life.

I was sad that I may not be able to care for my wife as she aged.

I would certainly go to the doctor, and I would tell the doctor about your anxiety and history of drinking too much.

Take care.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
Ok I totally see your frustration.

A few suggestions or thoughts it would hep if you answer these so we can make suggestions but if not please think about them:
1. Are you on an antidepressant or anti anxiety?
2. How is your diet? Are you eating a ton of sugar? or carbs? Or not eating veggies?
3. Are you on any supplements/vitamins?
4. Are you working out, getting your heart rate up?
5. Are you sleeping?
6. What stress outlets do you have?
7. Do you have any face to face support?
8. Have you started any new hobbies or interests?

1. I have antidepressants, but I havent started taking them.
2. I dont eat much at all. I had a ham sandwich for breakfast and that's all I've ate. Yesterday I had a ton of oranges, broccoli and cauliflower, and a ham sandwich.
3. No vitamins or supplements.
4. Not working out..
5. I sleep/rest constantly.
6. None.
7. No support whatsoever.
8. No new hobbies.

A lot of the "no" responses on here, are because I have been dealing with some tummy issues for nearly 2 months. When I eat, my stomach hurts. I did get it checked out, I had an ultrasound on my stomach, pancreas, liver, gallbladder and kidneys as well as urine and blood tests 2 MONTHS ago, they said everything came back good, and diagnosed me with GERD, and gave me some meds and sent me home, but I'm still dealing with the issues. I got these checked at the Emergency room because I thought I was having a gallbladder attack, so I'm weary that they didn't do all the tests they could have, and just ruled out gallbladder problems.
I sleep 11 hours + nightly, and cant do much more than lay around all day.
I'm scared to take any vitamins or supplements or even the antidepressants because the tummy issues as well as I'm scared it would affect my liver/me in a negative way.
Its almost as if quitting has made my life worse. I hate to even say, think, or type that, but that's how it's starting to feel.
I'm a mom, wife, student... I need to be able to be active and care for myself and kids, but I can't seem to get over whatever is causing this.
I feel like I got bamboozled with this idea that sobriety is better.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

re your tummy troubles- been there! My last year in college I felt horrible, had many trips to the bathroom per day and was told it was all stress. All tests came back negative. Then after more months of being sick my grandmother said go gluten free and dairy free. Low and behold that was the problem.

I understand your hesitation of not taking antidepressants. There is another effective way to do what anti depressants do and that is working out and getting your heart rate up. After years or however long of drinking the chemical in your brain are messed up. Time and natural endorphin help!

eating- by not eating much you are making yourself feel worse and back to tummy issues. I felt that I would feel better if I just didnt eat- but that didnt work. I found that if I ate very small meals a day 6 times it was better. A hard boiled egg or two for breakfast, then 2 hours later a slice of bread with butter, piece of chicken and rice for lunch, small meals like that. Eat bland- no high fat meats, little sugar, applesauce, bananas, toast etc...
Old 02-09-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks jryan..I made myself a piece of toast..
also, thanks for listening to me whine and cry, as well as the suggestions.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thanks jryan..I made myself a piece of toast..
also, thanks for listening to me whine and cry, as well as the suggestions.
No problem- god knows people have listened to me complain. Just eat light, but more often. Only cooked veggies, nothing raw, and see if that helps or not. Cut down on dairy too- I'd avoid it all together if I were you, but cutting down will help.

Chicken, salmon, turkey, (try to avoid red meats).
Try to avoid acidic foods like tomatoes.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a while to feel good Hillbillygirl. I'd dug a pretty deep hole for myself - it took a little climbing time til I felt the sun again - but I did - and you will too...it's a faith thing...have faith in those of us who've been there

I know one thing - drinking won't make you feel better.

D
Old 02-09-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Do your best

Lean on us for support but pls try that apt in 2 weeks it will really help (((HBG)))
Old 02-09-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

You guys are right. I managed to conquer the urge, but it wasn't easy..I swear, if it hadnt been for this site, I probably would have...this is pretty much my support to keep going.
Thank you all for your encouragement.
I am still going to see a doctor for sure. Debating on waiting two weeks, or trying to find another clinic in the mean time. Thanks for the concern!
Old 02-09-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

I vote for finding another clinic

D
Old 02-10-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Appointment with a new doctor in the area today at 3pm!!!!
Old 02-10-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope it goes well HBG good luck bud
Old 02-10-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thank you, soberwolf! I'm feeling more positive, today.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thank you, soberwolf! I'm feeling more positive, today.
Me too- its great what a different day will do. Sometimes you just need to say "I am done with this day, I'm out, time for bed"
Old 02-10-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

^^^ Isnt that the truth, Jryan! Glad to see another day sober, and face it with it a little more positivity.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure all will be well Hillbillygirl - but good luck anyway

D
Old 02-10-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I just got back, nearly 2 hours there...waiting and waiting. I almost fainted from the anxiety while waiting but I MADE IT!
I literally spilled my guts out to that doctor, lol, and she received it much better than I ever thought possible. Both her and the nurse congratulated me on my sobriety!!! In my head, I thought they'd just see me as another addict, and I was dreading it, but that wasn't the case at all! They reassured me that they want to get me well, and will do everything they can to do so.
She checked me head to toe, but couldn't do any blood work because she wants me to fast for it, so I have to go back to get that done, but all in all, I feel much better about my health overall. Shew!! A little relief after all. I do have some meds she wants me to take until the next appointment, but I feel I'm on the right path.
I cant say thank you enough for encouraging me, I kept thinking... "I want to be able to get back on SR, and tell them I did it." So once again, you guys pulled me through! :