Notices

*Sigh*

Old 02-07-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

*Sigh*

A few days after my last drink I had a horrible panic attack. I called my sister, who I rarely see, and she told me to come over. I told her I had quit; she patted me on the back and congratulated me. I tagged along to one of her classes and then where did she take me? A bar. I didn't know that was her plan before I'd called. She ordered a beer and after a few minutes said "Sorry, I hope this doesn't bother you." I lied and said it didn't. I was dying inside. I asked for a sip, and she said, "**** this sip business, I'll just buy you one."

And I wonder how I got to this point. *sigh*

Old 02-07-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

did you go to a meeting?

Originally Posted by Titian View Post
A few days after my last drink I had a horrible panic attack. I called my sister, who I rarely see, and she told me to come over. I told her I had quit; she patted me on the back and congratulated me. I tagged along to one of her classes and then where did she take me? A bar. I didn't know that was her plan before I'd called. She ordered a beer and after a few minutes said "Sorry, I hope this doesn't bother you." I lied and said it didn't. I was dying inside. I asked for a sip, and she said, "**** this sip business, I'll just buy you one."

And I wonder how I got to this point. *sigh*

Old 02-07-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No, I'm not religious.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't look back! Pick up and keep moving.
If you're ever in that situation again, which, you very well may be, because alcohol is all around us, make sure you have an escape plan. Sorry you trusted her, but really, you gotta keep building that trust with yourself, right?
Old 02-07-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AA is a safe place. You don't need to be religious.
Walking through the door is the hardest part. There are people there who understand and care. Go with an open mind, then go back again. There are many different meetings. If one doesn't suit you, keep checking out others. Keep what helps and ignore the rest.

Each day starts anew.

How are you doing right now?
Old 02-07-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Titian

I learned the hard way I had to be responsible for my own recovery. I had a lot of well meaning folks in my life who thought the best thing for me was a drink.

be proactive. If you find yourself somewhere you know you shouldn't be, or with people (no matter how lovely) who are not supportive of your desire to be sober - then get the heck out of Dodge...

It's your recovery and your future. Put the effort in - fight for it

D
Old 02-07-2015, 10:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ah, Titian. That was unexpected. I think what Dee said is true- get out. If you find yourself in a situation that"s not going to do you good, just gotta go.

Sorry things worked out that way.

But you can change it next time.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

titan....there are multitudes of agnostics and atheists who have been guided to sobriety through AA.
I suspect that you have not given an open mind, yet, or really don't know much about AA.

I hear that all the time...on the streets and in kitchens...everywhere urban legends and rumors and misinformation are formulated.

It really is b.s. You do not have to be religious to attend AA. There is no pressure in that area, at all.

What I am trying to say is...just don't let that be a sole reason to deny yourself.

dandylion
Old 02-08-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SORRY

titan...your post showed up on friends and family side, at first. I responded before I noticed that....

dandylion
Old 02-08-2015, 02:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey Titan... Welcome to SR.

I told my brother I was going to rehab. Then when I saw him next at the holidays all he talked about was his wine collection and some great tequila. Insisted I have some. I looked at him like he was a complete idiot. And when it comes to addiction, of which he has none, he is an idiot. He knows nothing of what it is or is like.

So I realized that not only my brother doesn't grasp this but many many others around me.

Let that go and surround yourself with those that do get it. Like we do here on SR.

Keep going strong. You can live a sober life even around those that might not understand.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't give up Titian!! Go at things again with a new plan, you can do this!!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can't get sober on your own - if you don't do AA - you'll need to have another support group. I don't consider AA religious. But if your way is working - go for it.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk learn from this Titian you dont have to feel like this again

spk soon bud
Old 02-08-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I looked for AA meetings near me (I'm smack in the middle of the bible belt--in fact there are 8 churches within a half mile of my house) and all of the meetings apparently involve long prayer sessions. While I'm not anti-religious, I would prefer a secular experience...I find that very few religious people truly understand atheism and much of their "spiritual" support will hinder rather than help me.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are online meetings not only for AA but for secular meeting based groups like SMARTRecovery or Lifering

D
Old 02-08-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm really glad you're here to talk things over Titian. People's behavior always disappoints and amazes me - my family was very unhelpful too. They didn't begin to understand - and really didn't even try. That's why the SR community has meant the world to me. We're among friends who care.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Titian, Sorry about your sister. People don't really think. My partner asked if I wanted an Ativan if the anxiety was getting to be too much

I wasn't really ready for that so it took me about a solid minute before I just said "no thank-you" but it was a very long minute in my head.

Stay away from her for a bit until you're ready or maybe tell her how much it means to you and that you would really like her true full support.

Good luck