Notices

? About AA

Old 02-07-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

? About AA

I was wondering if you can just show up at any meeting posted?

A local church has an AA group that meets there called Sisters of Sobriety, which sounds like an all woman group. Something that I would be more comfortable attending.

I have not gone to a meeting yet, because I am afraid. To be completely honest, I am scared of running into someone I know. So far, I have told my hubby and my brother that I quit and that is it. I don't feel the need to announce it to those around me. I am doing what I need to so I can get better, one day at a time.

I am beginning to realize that I need the support of others if I am going to be successful in my sobriety. I almost feel like I want that hour or two a day that a meeting would take to dedicate to my sobriety.

All comments welcome.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Your fears are not uncommon. People who have been going for awhile are very sensitive to the concerns of newcomers. They were once one themselves.

The second A in AA is there for a reason.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi,

Yes, you can attend any meeting. That's the neat thing is even if you are on vacation you can find one and go. You will be welcomed. Typically a man will not attend a women's meeting or vice versa unless you really need to go to a meeting. The women's only meeting would probably be really comfortable for you. Try as many meetings as you can and you will find some you like more than others probably.

As far as seeing someone you know just remember everyone is there for the same reason. I've run into several people I know and it's good to see them. They will be glad you are there and won't judge.

Meetings were really scary at first because I am not a social person but now they are actually relaxing. You don't have to share if you don't want to. I didn't for a couple of months. Just soak in the message of recovery.

Best wishes.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I saw a woman I work with (huge company) at a meeting. Of course we recognized each other. But at work if we passed, we just smiled and nodded like ever. Nothing changed, except for how I felt about people I passed now. Like, her? She's like me? But she looks so capable, so together. But I'm capable and together. It just opened my eyes to everyone's struggles, it made me part of a bigger thing. It was oddly comforting. Anyway, don't fear seeing someone you know. It won't matter or it might even turn out better. You can do this!
Old 02-07-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my area and everywhere I've ever lived closed meetings are for alcoholics only, women's for women, men's for men--etc. Always listed on schedule in some form. Open meetings are for anyone and listed as such and comprise 80% of all meetings. There are meetings for professionals that are invitation only. We had smoking meetings here until 2 yrs ago and the city's new ordinance stopped that and caused quite an uproar. You will find YOUR meeting if you keep looking.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't be afraid to go. I would suggest going a bit early and introducing yourself to someone as a newcomer. They will go out of their way to make you at ease.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions ... " Tradition 12 ... do not let that stop you from attending a meeting. We are all there for the same reason
Old 02-08-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a Lil fear of running into someone i knew at meetings early on,too.

But then I realized how great it would be to run into someone I knew at meetings. Meant they got help for a problem,too.

Also I wasn't afraid of people seeing me fall off a bar stool. I shouldn't be afraid of people seeing me walk into an AA meeting.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The more meetings I attended, the more
people remembered me and could see
that I wanted recovery/sobriety.

Then the more I went, the more I
recognized the same faces and smiles
and felt accepted amongst folks just
like me.

Seems like ive know these people for
a long time. To walk in a meeting and
see a familiar face and go sit next to
them, feeling the fellowship and support
surround me is soooo comforting.

I wanted to see people I began to know
in meeting. Then I would bring my platter
of cookies or cakes and BINGO, I hit the
pot of gold with love, belonging and a
part of something sooo awesome.

Yesterday, my husband and I were in
a Walmart when a girl we use to see
at our local Harley store and knew she
was in recovery, came to me and asked
if I remembered her because we haven't
seen her in awhile.

It took me a few seconds and emmediately
said her name with her and we hugged. She
knew I was in recovery for awhile and from
all the acknowledgements in the Harley store
she remembered me and then I her.

I never went to a meeting where she was
there. So I only knew her from Harley and
that she was in recovery and on FB.

WE had something in common. RECOVERY.

We didn't speak long but we asked how each
was doing and we both said fine with a last
hug and bye. That to me made my day. To
have someone I haven't seen in awhile to
walk up and acknowledge me fron recovery
and kindness, care, support is worth more
than a pot of gold.

I want people to recognize me for my
recovery because it is important for
me to spread the word how important
it is to remain sober using a program
of recovery as a guideline. For them to
know that recovery works if we work it.

Addiction is killing so many people and
unless folks out there in the world know
that there is help and support from members
like me available to them and recovery
support programs then they will remain
in their illnesses.

Recovery meetings is a place to listen, learn,
absorb and apply knowledge of how to remain
sober, healthy, happy and honest in all our affairs.

Go. Enjoy. Build a strong recovery foundation.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Very common fear. I used to go home after work to change out of company-labeled clothes. It was a lot of work. I know a LOT of people in the area, and it still took a while before I bumped into someone I knew... now, I look forward to seeing people I know!

Like others have said: I have several coworkers in the program, who I talk to extensively at meetings, but we just kinda nod at each other at work. We're all sick and working towards a common goal.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You have to remember that people do not attend AA meetings because they have nothing else to do. You would be fortunate if you ran into someone you knew because of the instant connection of a person who suffers from the same problem as you
Old 02-08-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It has not been explicitly said, but you can go to "closed meetings."

I know a lot of people new to the program do not realize that when it says closed that does not exclude alcoholics.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
It has not been explicitly said, but you can go to "closed meetings."

I know a lot of people new to the program do not realize that when it says closed that does not exclude alcoholics.
Who would attend closed meetings if not Alcoholics???
This is confusing.......

Suzie,

Glad you're here, Welcome!!
Good for you and taking the step towards sobriety!

AA meetings are either open or closed. In a closed meeting, only Alcoholics may attend. Open meetings are for anyone who wants to attend - but in my experience 99% of folks there are alcoholics. Sometimes a family member, or nursing student etc attends as well.

Go to few meetings and see if it's for you. Many of us have engaged in AA and it's saved our lives. Many find alternate routes to sobriety.

There is no shame in going and you'll probably feel right at home in a short period of time. It's common to not want to be seen - this feeling typically is unjustified you'll discover.

Keep coming back!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I first looked at a meeting schedule for CA, it was full of "closed meetings." I did not know that I could attend and the only open meetings were during work hours so I gave up trying to find a meeting. (Although to show you my ignorance, I also thought narcotics were "downers," so I did not think NA was possible for someone who did cocaine. I did not know anyone who did drugs and had no experience with recovery, and had no interest in either until after I became an addict.)

I have spoken to a number of people who made a similar error. They did not know they could go to closed meetings. Even in rehab, I had to explain this to someone. Like me she thought you had to sign up somewhere or apply to go to a group meeting since the schedule said that only members could attend.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck Suzieq