Notices

Liver fears

Old 02-07-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver fears

First, I'll state that I have already seen my doctor and had bloodwork and a physical so I'm guessing things are probably all right. (Just to be safe, I will be calling him on Monday to schedule another appointment.)

But here's what is getting me. All of those tests I had were BEFORE I relapsed. I have drank on three occasions since I had my physical and blood drawn. I am completely horrified by the thought (irrational though it may be) that I have somehow caused myself to have liver cancer. I'm not even worried about hepatitis. I'm honestly panicking and worrying about cancer. I just feel like it was probably forming on my liver while I was drinking, and now I've gone and "fed" it, and it is probably blossoming as we speak.

I apologize for the hysteria -- the logical part of me knows this is probably an overreaction spurred by the fact that someone I know was just diagnosed with terminal liver cancer. This is the second person I know who has had terminal liver cancer, and I am completely freaking out that I will be the next because "bad things come in threes." (I know, I'm being irrational and panicked.)

But there's a voice in my head screaming out that there is NO WAY I could have drank like I did for years without dire health consequences. There is no chance I will "get out of this alive" because there is only so much one's liver can take.

Does anyone else suffer from liver fears that persist despite reassurances from medical tests and doctors?
Old 02-07-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You need to calm down and learn to relax.
The stimulation and calming effect of alcohol, when taken away can cause panic attacks.
I know, it happened to me.

Just trust your doctor, Stay sober and keep on keepin on.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me trusting my Dr was a big part of getting past my fears, all the numerous tests he did showed nothing unrepairable and his advice turned out to be true in hindsight as my test results improved at 6 months and then again at 12 months Sober.

STAY AWAY from Dr Google, or any other stories that may be floating around, stick with the facts and what your Dr is telling you, and you'll not go too far wrong!!

What really is the alternative? fearing the worst for a long time to come? focus on Sobriety and the body will do it's thing, if anything crops up then it then will be time to address it, but in the meantime Sobriety is enough to be getting on with!!

Hang in there!!
Old 02-07-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was sure that alcohol had killed my liver. 2 months after quitting my bloodwork quelled all that--liver normal. The paranoia receded at exactly the same rate as days sober mounted.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's irrational to worry you have an illness when a Dr. tests you and it shows you don't. Besides, drinking 3 additional times is not enough to suddenly push your liver over the edge. Trust the doctor and stay sober. Then you'll know your doing nothing that can hurt your liver. You can't control getting cancer, but you can avoid cirrhosis.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your anxieties are understandable considering what you've been through. The liver has famous recuperative powers. The doctors were pessimistic about mine 27 years ago but it came back and to my knowledge is O.K. The doctors will tell you if you have cancer. Ask them anyway. If you don't believe one, then ask for a consult. But your anxiety may well shift to another worry until you get well into recovery. Maybe your basic anxiety is that you might not make it into long term recovery. Some don't. If you work at recovering your anxiety will probably diminish and things will seem smoother. If you relapse your anxiety is very likely going to come back. The liver can give out despite the absence of cancer. The choice is yours.

W.