Notices

Another family member....

Old 02-07-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another family member....

Has admitted to being an alcoholic. My cousin recently lost her partner of over 40 years. I called her to express my condolences and we ended up talking for a long time. She turned to alcohol years ago to "deal" with the fact she was gay (not well accepted in the early 1970s). Although her family finally came to terms with this over time, she still struggled with alcohol. She finally stopped in the late 1990s, but when her partner died she started again. I shared my struggle with alcohol with her and that seemed to help a bit. This damn disease is endemic in both sides of my family.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear all that.

Both sides of my family struggle with alcohol/drug abuse as well. Both my parents are alcoholics. That fueled my addiction in many ways, it seemed "normal" to be drunk, it was acceptable at family gatherings to drink.

But... we must overcome.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

probably more than a couple of alcoholics in my family, but as far as i know i'm the only one who has admitted it and got sober. i don't know anything much about my grandparents as my parents are drunks and we never did family togetherness or shared history or anything.

you have such an opportunity to help your cousin. it doesn't seem like a coincidence that you have connected in this way. we can break the cycle, if we try. you are awesome.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Admitting is a great first step, people can get help when they admit to a problem!!

It definitely can be relentless can alcohol though!!
Old 02-07-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's great you were able to 'be there' for your cousin, ArtFriend. alcoholism seems to be everywhere and there seems to be a definite familial link.