Notices

Almost 4 months- New here

Old 02-07-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 4 months- New here

Hey, I'm new here, and I need some support.

I have been an alcoholic for the past 10 years, on and off, with binge drinking tendencies as well as drinking to the point of black out often. In those 10 years, there have been some sober periods, ranging around 10 months to a year. Except for these past several years, where I have spent most of my time drunk, and functioning...holding down my life, jobs, education, all while getting plastered every/every other evening. I'm sure if I could have maintained it, I would have been drunk 24/7... not buzzed, but DRUNK.
It started as a weekend only thing, and escalated pretty quickly to several times during the week, as well as all weekend long.
Oct. 22nd 2014 was my last drink, I'm pretty proud to say that I have went this long because I have attempted to do so before and gave up within a week or two. I did it completely cold turkey, and didnt have many withdraw symptoms within 2 weeks I was feeling AWESOME and was positive I could continue this... skip to 6 weeks later and currently, I have been feeling drained, I sleep for 11 hours every night, and still take a nap in the day. My tummy hurts all the time, I am often dizzy and nauseous and I have no desire to do anything. I dont work anymore, I'm failing school...basically every aspect of my life is suffering. I went to a couple doctors to seek help for the tummy issues, but they say they can't find anything wrong with me. My husband thinks its all in my head. All I know is that I cannot keep going like this. Not being able to get anything done, not being able to function properly. Laying around is not my idea of living. This is not how I thought I'd feel after getting clean. I did it so I could start feeling better, but it's been the total opposite. Does this last? Will it ever end? It's making me second guess my sobriety, but I know I am strong enough to continue, if I knew there is a light at the end of the tunnel of these feelings.
I'm frustrated with myself beyond belief, as well as my family..
Old 02-07-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Welcome HBG, and congratulations on your 4 months. Your story about how your drinking escalated could have been mine so I understand how good it felt to stop.

Logically I can't see how stopping would cause physical symptoms like you describe, although I suppose there might be some psychological adjustment about facing life sober. I assume your docs have done the usual tests such as thyroid, iron levels, antibodies, glandular fever and so on?

Maybe your husband, who presumably knows you well, is right and it's in your head? Do you have any idea what could be causing you to burn out? Many people on this forum struggle for a while because they no longer have a chemical barrier between themselves and the world, especially in the evenings when they are used to relaxing. Just throwing a few thoughts at to to see if anything resonates.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi HilBillygirl, Congrats on almost four months! I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble physically. I wonder at all, if it is stress and fatigue from just plain life? I am way more stressed out and exhausted when I'm not drinking because I don't have a drink to relax me after work. I just get beat. I was that way before I ever drank. The stress of plain every day life has always really worn me out.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The day you stopped is my birthday.
That year I was 41!
I think your decision to stop drinking that day was really cool!

I'm not sure where you live in the world? I only ask because I have had issues with my tummy and I take lansoprazole and gaviscon. Lansoprazole inhibits acid production if your tummy makes too much acid.
It helps with the tummy aches and the sick feeling.
It might be something you can buy in your country?

I alo wonder if your doctors have tested you for anaemia with a simple blood test?
I'm anaemic too and I get very tired.

My troubles were not drink related though but alcohol can be really hard on the GI tract.

The sleeping you describe was me too!
I slept so much.

I think it was from years of sleep deprivation. When I drank, I never fell asleep naturally.
I passed out or blacked out drunk.
I did this for a number of years too.
So I couldn't expect to be okay overnight I suppose.

The other thing I did find helpful though was having a sugary drink or food mid afternoon.
At that time I think my blood sugar would plummet around 3pm and also about 6pm.
We consume a lot of extra calories and sugar when we drink and our bodies might miss that.
I would have a fresh orange, some ice cream or a really sweet hot chocolate at 3pm or when I was lagging and half an hour later I felt a bit more awake and revived.
Would that be something that would work for you?

I think it takes a bit of time to get over the extreme tiredness.
Some people say they can never sleep when they stop drinking.
I was the complete opposite.

Keep coming here.
Maybe give it a while longer then see if it is still a problem.

Have you heard of HALT?

It stands for
HUNGRY
ANGRY
LONELY
TIRED

Drinkers can start to have cravings or are at risk of a relapse if they get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired.
Being in tune with this might make things easier too.

I wish you the best xx
Old 02-07-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcoming, and the reply. The doctors did ultrasounds on my stomach, liver, gallbladder and kidneys. Did a liver functions test, as well as other blood/urine tests (they didnt specify) and sent me home saying I have GERD, which is an extreme form of heartburn, basically.
I have tried to narrow down what could be causing these feelings, but I can't. Its just hard for me to grasp that while I was drinking I could get up every morning at 5am, and do everything that I needed to get done, drink myself silly in the evening and do it all again and again and again, but once I've stopped, I feel worse than I ever have. So frustrating and I'm at a loss of what I should/could do to fix this.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support and information, Sasha.
They gave me Nexium, which is similar to the med you described. I dont like taking it though because it makes me a little drowsy, and I'm tired enough as it is. The only time I feel well is while I'm asleep.
I am all of HALT, all the time. LOL. Hungry, Angry, Lonely and Tired.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Probably the GERD disrupting your sleep that's making you tired and not the absence of large doses of relatively toxic alcohol.

But even if I felt like crap after getting sober I'd stay sober. Eventually that would change for the better, and then I'd still be sober. There are lots of reasons to sober up that don't hinge on you feeling ready to meet the day when the rooster crows.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You're right about the sobriety. I have never wanted anything more than to continue on this path of being sober. The lack of positivity that has come out of it, is surely putting a stress on staying sober, though. My husband drinks occasionally, and right at this moment there is beer and alcohol in my kitchen, I could easily walk in there and get a buzz, but my drive to stay sober is too great. I just want to start to feel better though. GERD isn't effecting my sleep at all, sleeping is the only time I feel ok. :/
Old 02-07-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on four months sober!
Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Same here, mind and feelings all over the place. Stay strong. You can beat this,
Old 02-07-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyShadow View Post
Same here, mind and feelings all over the place. Stay strong. You can beat this,

It feels all wrong....
Old 02-07-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Originally Posted by hillbillygirl View Post
It feels all wrong....
I know what you mean, I'm 41 and have drank since I was 18. Didn't know any other way. Got a lot of stuff surfacing that I am trying to contain. Its all progressive but the waters are muddy.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know the only option is to continue down this road, and keep fighting the good fight. But it is so very disappointing when one of the main reasons I wanted to get sober is flaking out on me... or so it seems. I feel like all the support people had for me is gone now that now that I'm in the deep end of it, struggling to stay a-float.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Originally Posted by hillbillygirl View Post
I know the only option is to continue down this road, and keep fighting the good fight. But it is so very disappointing when one of the main reasons I wanted to get sober is flaking out on me... or so it seems. I feel like all the support people had for me is gone now that now that I'm in the deep end of it, struggling to stay a-float.
You can only worry about you and do it for your reasons. Your gonna find a lot of support here. There's a chat room, that many hang check in and just talk.. Meetings on Tue and Fri at 9 EST in the chat room as well.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi HilBillygirl and welcome.

I felt awful when I first stopped with cravings for alcohol. It did pass though, with determination, ice cream and SR.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

4 Months is fantastic Hillbillygirl!!

I had a few health issues that cropped up around the 3 month mark, low blood pressure and low blood sugar, which caused dizziness, and I had a similar thinking that things were getting worse and not better, but they did ease with time under my Drs guidance!!

The alternative is going back to the hangovers, so keep pushing through and once the body sorts out itself out and heals there will be better days!!

Ps The article you posted after this one which I had a read of is very good at explaining the longer term adjustment the body/mind needs to make!!

Hang in there!!
Old 02-07-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

((Hugs)) from one hillbilly girl to another Congrats on 4 months....I am a little over 3 months & experiencing some real "lows" recently, but just keeping in the forefront the misery the drink was causing & know that the answer certainly isn't in that. Sending good thoughts your way & hope that things look brighter & your energy returns soon.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Hillbilly girl

It took me quite a few months to get my energy and motivation back - but I reasoned I'd battered myself around a lot for a lot of years...

Things were starting to level out for me by month 4 tho.

If you're concerned why not see your Dr?

D
Old 02-07-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

HBG, I'm not giving medical advice, but talk to your pharmacist about the Nexium. I would be surprised if it contained anything that would make you sleepy as it's function is to reduce stomach acid and it's basically a sustained release antacid.

The drowsiness may have another cause.