Notices

Finding Room for SR...

Old 02-07-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
This is probably the first time I'm posting in about a month. I'm up early on vacation for my birthday weekend. SR has helped me tremendously over the last two years, especially during the rough patches when life happened. But I'm a busy person too. That's a good thing. I work hard. I have to travel a lot for my job. I'm very involved in AA. I have a great girlfriend, wonderful, sober friends and a loving family. So yeah. I sometimes slack at posting here.

But just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I'm not reading. SR has become more of a quick, pick-me-up. 5 minutes of reading during a bathroom break. A quick check during my morning tea. Read a couple of threads before bed. I'm grateful the site is always available. These quick browses keep recovery at the forefront of my busy life.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thoughtful thread. I work full time, too, and I've noticed that a week will go by that I haven't gotten on SR. I am coming to realize that this a question of balance for me. All or none type of thinking.

I love how you qualified your decision to keep balance, though, by acknowledging the kindness and compassion of folks on SR. SR people are worth the time!
Old 02-07-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
p***enger

For me, SR is part of my morning ritual. Like showering & stretching. If I don't do anything else, even if I have to get up a little earlier to get it done, I post a little gratitude and a quick check-in. If I didn't do those things, I wouldn't be taking care of myself.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thank you so much for your input everyone. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Everyone has their own experience and wisdom to share and help each other here, and they always share it in the most understanding and supportive way, even if that means a little tough love here and there. But hey, sometimes we need a kick in the ass to wake us up. This is why I want to make room for SR.

The idea of balance is certainly what I am ultimately trying to achieve. What heartcore said about going through cycles really struck a chord with me. I am a person who always dedicates the majority of my focus toward only one or two things at any given time. Right now, I would say my focus is mainly on getting back in the flow of school and getting involved with volunteering and helping people like myself who suffer chronic illnesses. Last month it was slowing down and prioritizing and spending a lot of time on here reading and posting. Ultimately, when I am done school and have secured a career, I know will find balance.

But for now, as I said, I will just come on here when I have a moment and can sit down and read a bit and post on a few threads. Because this place has helped me find direction in life, and I never want to lose it.

You guys are awesome!
Old 02-07-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

In the beginning I scheduled it into my day, similar to my morning coffee, my lunch break etc!!

So I'd check in the morning before leaving for work, at lunch time, upon arriving home from work and last thing before bedtime, it was simply planned in and became part of my routine.

As time went on things became more looser, but I still try to be online at lease once a day!!
Old 02-07-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're going to stick around; your posts are always supportive and informative when writing about others and very introspective when writing about yourself.

I struggle with the time issue and there are some days, like today and tomorrow, where I won't be able to spend as much time as I would care to reading and posting on SR. That's life, but all things being equal, I make it a priority to be around. Even if it's just when I'm taking a break from work I'll come here to read and sometimes post.

I wish you well in finding the balance you seek.

Lastly, I really like your home town and was there at the end of November to run the Philly marathon.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

mns1 my life is pretty busy too. I manage my own business where I work five days a week, I run (and clean) a fairly large house, my 88 year old mother lives with us and she needs some care/help, my husband has severe arthritis so he can do less than his share at home and at work these days. I volunteer in an admin position at another forum. I follow a pretty tight time schedule to fit it all in and do it properly.

But my #1 priority is my sobriety. SR is my sole means of support so I make checking into SR my #1 priority. I don't post as much as I did in my early days of recovery but I post in my Class and Gratitude threads every day and I try to support others in this sub-forum. Checking in reminds me where I have come from and what I have achieved, it reminds me that after accepting the unconditional support I have received here, I now have the opportunity to give back.

So my twice daily check in is my priority.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I just wanted to chime in about the "Ultimately, when I finish school and secure a career, I know I will find balance" comment.

I drank through my undergrad and said I would stop when I had my 12 week internship. I drank through the internship. I did very well at the internship and it still baffles me that I got through.

After the internship I was hired for my first professional white-collar job. I promised myself I would never drink on a work night now that I had real adult responsibilities. I drank every night for The first two years of my big fancy career. Once again, I succeeded at work and it still baffles me how I got through it.

Now I am working on my masters degree and I swore that I would stop drinking when I started that. I drank for the first six months of my masters agree and how I got through it still baffles me.

You sound pretty grounded in your sobriety so this probably does not apply to you. I just wanted to say that it's easy to think of milestones as the time we will feel centered and stop drinking but we can always push the goalpost further and further back.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thank you guys.

I do want to try to allot specific times during my day such as first thing in the morning, lunch time, and before bed to check in. So I could work on that. Either way I try to get on here at least a little bit each day.

Melinda I do feel pretty strong in my sobriety right now. Going back to school I feel will benefit me in two ways. First it will give me some extra tools I need to move on with life, and second it will remind me of the time before I had drinking problems, since I rarely drank during my first stint in college. So that might help my sobriety as well.

And thank you Gonnachange I'm glad you enjoyed your visit here. I've lived in the Philadelphia area my whole life and I love this city. I couldn't see myself settling anywhere else.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You are young, mns. Glad to hear that you wil be sticking around; I think young newcomers find great commonality of experience with other young recoverers. You are an inspiration and blessing to them.