Notices

Let it go! Sober Weekender Thread Feb 6-8

Old 02-06-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I'm going out dancing tomorrow with some friends! It is at a bar but I'm not going to drink. Everyone is getting together a someone's house first but I'm just going to meet everyone there because they will be drinking at the house and I would find that uncomfortable. They all know that I've quit and they are not my old heavy drinking friends. I just need to get out and hear some good house music and shake my ass! It's been so long and physically I feel so good that it makes me feel like dancing! I'm going to drive and I'm not going to stay for long, just a few hours. I am meeting them at 11 and I will probably leave around 1. I'm ok with being sober but I'm no ok with never going out to have fun again. I can't hide from the world forever. Tonight I'm going to check out a secular AA meeting up the street.

Happy Friday all!
Old 02-06-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Speaking of dreams: I had a dream that I was drinking a NON-ALCOHOLIC beer! Does that qualify as a "drinking dream"? LOL. Funny how our brains work when we sleep, eh?

Got to get things sorted at the office, have a pile of voicemails, shipping requests, and folks to call back. Busy busy. Have a great morning everyone, happy Friday!
Old 02-06-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Good morning! Feeling frazzled as my alarm got turned off and son had band at 7 a.m. Got him out the door. Now taking deep breaths before getting me ready. Self directed daughter got herself ready, I made her lunch and Mr. Ruby took her to school.

Verte, I like zucchini bread and have some of those almost ready to join compost bin as well. Maybe a baking weekend.

Will write more later. Have to do the get ready bit. Brain, nice haircut.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Good morning from a business meeting on the redneck riviera.....aka the Florida panhandle. The drinking starts early and goes long for these things. But not for me!!! This environment is a weakness though, so sticking close to the sr team!

Last edited by Mark1014; 02-07-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Zipped out 4 returns in 4 hours, including a young sailor who was filing his first ever tax return. His home state is Arizona and his Dad told him he had to file an Arizona return. This is incorrect, Arizona does not tax military incomes and he did not have to file. He took some convincing that I was right and his Dad was wrong, but we got there.
Non, what a delight that must be to tell people that they don't owe any taxes after all! You must feel like Santa! (on the good nights, that is).
Old 02-06-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behan View Post

Have to do a bunk out of work now and get my car MOT'd - not sure what you call it in the states. Hopefully my Corolla will pass for another year.
It's called State Inspection here. Some states don't even have it!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just can't remember that this starts on Thursday anymore.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hey FAD - I like the Redneck Riviera! I actually went to Pensacola on PURPOSE last spring, believe it or not. Really love those beaches. Enjoy! Keep close to SR and stick to your sober guns!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Non, what a delight that must be to tell people that they don't owe any taxes after all! You must feel like Santa! (on the good nights, that is).
I do love it when I have good news for people.

Had a couple a few nights ago who are going to have to repay $1,500 of ACA credit they received to offset the cost of their health insurance. They received more advanced credit than they were entitled to and Uncle Sammy wants it back. They had dropped off their documents and I did their return and called them when it was done. I was dreading their appointment and having to tell them about the $1,500 repayment. I was expecting to deal with some seriously irritated folks.

Fortunately they were very cool about it. They suspected they would have to repay some of the credit and it was not shocking news for them to hear. Their reaction was a big relief to me. I had got quite worked up for nothing.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

FRIIIIIIIIIIIIIDAAYYYYYYYYYYY!! Can you tell I'm excited?

2WheelTerror - I read Dr.Sleep not too long ago...really liked it! I'm a big Stephen King fan and the last few were a little disappointing, so was happy to see he hasn't lost it. Let us know what you think.

Olive - OMG, I'm SO jealous. I'd LOVE to grow a garden. I live in a high rise and have tried to grow things in pots with no success. Even things like mint that people SWEAR you can't kill...I kill.

BigS - I know what you mean about appearance. That's great!

Gonna be a quiet weekend. I do have plans to meet someone at a museum for a movie. I've been to that museum before but never for a film, so it should be interesting. Also, happy that I turned down a dinner thing on Saturday for this instead...just less likely that booze will be around. And I need to do the cleaning thing. I definitely need to clean the bedroom but I think my #1 priority will be cleaning out my refrigerator. Its not a mess, but I always feel so much better and so much more motivated to make delicious healthy food when I have a clean refrigerator.

Ok, just a few more hours until the weekend gets really started!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

For Stephen King Fans...

The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park CO. Inspiration for 'The Shining', back when King was a starving Writer living in a Rental down the Hill in Boulder. The little Town supposedly didn't have enough 'spare' AC Power for all the Filming Lights, and running Generators wasn't a noise-compliant option. So, 'The Shining' was filmed all on Sets.

In a remake of 'The Shining' that King supervised, they actually shot at the Stanley Hotel. It was built by the Creator of the 'Stanley Steamer'. A Car that ran on Steam. A beaut of an example is in the Lobby.

I was up there to informally Photograph a Relative's Wedding. They landed the primo location out front, and she got to 'waltz' down the Stairs. On busy Weekends, various locations around the Hotel, and some side Buildings, might see ~5 Weddings going on simultaneously. Behind me, the Rocky Mountains are right there.

'Steam' ~ Peter Gabriel

-----
Old 02-06-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

MesaMan - very cool! Man, I read Shining as a kid...scared the living bejeesus out of me. I was probably too young to be reading it. Dr. Sleep is not as scary, but its likely b/c I'm not a 10 yr old..ha.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Lunar ,
I certainly needed help on / before fridays , so i did my shopping on thursday nights or saturdays so i didn't have to confront "that" aisle with a friday feeling …

I used ice cream as a reward for getting home , dealing with london traffic ..

Also it's partly for our Australian/NZ and eastern warriors who start their day a whole lot earlier than the americas or even europe

Gonna take mum shopping in a bit … gonna get me and mex-m8 something healthy .. but a bit of a treat too ..

his house went on the market at 9am , he had a viewing at 2:30 pm

m
Old 02-06-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

At work. HaF, I forgot you were cutting back on sugar. I need to as well. I'm still liking ice cream too much.

I'm staring at phone and can't flip back and forth to see what was said by whom if I get it wrong, forgive me.

But, mec, that's a pretty quick turn around on a real estate showing. Good luck. I was thinking of your advice to relax the shoulders to relax as I sat in traffic and it really does work. I've used it before and wanted to repeat that its an effective and free relaxation technique.

Lola, my MIL has had luck with those topsy turvy hanging baskets on her balcony for growing stuff. You have to be mindful of watering them. That's the part I forget.

I think I will do some baking this weekend. I'm in the mood. Kitchen rehab still not complete but I'm pretending I don't see it for the time being.

Saw a lovely pasta recipe in our weekly cooking section of newspaper. Chard, mushroom, pine nuts and parm. I will ignore the suggested wine pairing and maybe make it.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Hey FAD - I like the Redneck Riviera! I actually went to Pensacola on PURPOSE last spring, believe it or not. Really love those beaches. Enjoy! Keep close to SR and stick to your sober guns!
It really is gorgeous here. We really like a community called Seaside. It is near Destin and a great vacation spot.....especially when it's warmer than 50 degrees.
We come here on purpose at least yearly.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I've always wanted to see the Florida panhandle instead of the other beaches and here it is on SR! I've been to the keys and ft. Myers. And tarpon springs. I think the panhandle would be more interesting.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Fromadistance, we go to Orange Beach area often Nice pic. And Mesa's too
Old 02-06-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
For Stephen King Fans... The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park CO. Inspiration for 'The Shining', back when King was a starving Writer living in a Rental down the Hill in Boulder. The little Town supposedly didn't have enough 'spare' AC Power for all the Filming Lights, and running Generators wasn't a noise-compliant option. So, 'The Shining' was filmed all on Sets. In a remake of 'The Shining' that King supervised, they actually shot at the Stanley Hotel. It was built by the Creator of the 'Stanley Steamer'. A Car that ran on Steam. A beaut of an example is in the Lobby. I was up there to informally Photograph a Relative's Wedding. They landed the primo location out front, and she got to 'waltz' down the Stairs. On busy Weekends, various locations around the Hotel, and some side Buildings, might see ~5 Weddings going on simultaneously. Behind me, the Rocky Mountains are right there. 'Steam' ~ Peter Gabriel -----
Plus the shining was semiautobiographical about king's alcoholism. Great movie.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Petals jnr is having a birthday weekend. .... gonna be busy and lots of food. Xx
Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Car passed MOT inspection ("States inspection" - thanks Gilmer!!) - no more worries for another year; well, at least until something goes wrong!!

Now for my personal MOT: Trying to motivate myself to go to the gym this evening. I would have usually used alcohol as a reward for finishing a stressful work-week. This month, my plan is to gradually introduce exercise. Gym tonight. Planning on going to a yoga class on Monday evening with Mrs B. Also going to try a zen meditation class next week. Going to fix up my bicycle. Feel very motivated and determined to get physically and mentally healthy after years of self harm involving substances!!

I will also keep on checking in with SR, especially this thread - thank you Ken and everyone else!!!

Best wishes - B