Notices

Let it go! Sober Weekender Thread Feb 6-8

Old 02-05-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Waywardson, welcome to the weekend thread! It's gotten me through many a weekend sane and happy with the inspired lunacy that sometimes takes place.

Like spam. No one has mentioned spam yet. No bacon recipes. I have to see what ingredients I need for chocolate banana bread.

Son doing some math related stuff on the computer. Will have to see. Apparently it isn't going as planned because he keeps shouting "what the fudge?!" Better than the alternative.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

let's see if I can remember everything -

MarathonMan and Behan - well done on 5 weeks.

Gilmer - positive vibes - hope all is well with Dad.

Ruby - take a banana, some chocolate and some bread - put it in a blender, add some milk, eat with a spoon...

Olive - if you can grow tomatoes you can grow jalapenos - they are much easier to grow than bell peppers, one decent plant will keep you in peppers for a while, grow three plants and get the jars ready.

edit: Olive, also get some cilantro seeds. Plant them in batches - better than lovage for flavor. drop a couple seeds next to a tomato or pepper plant - they will do alright, but if they don't get sun they will shoot tall

I'm sure everyone has had their lifetime supply of Alex Harvey,

Trach already beat me to the 'lovage' Olive. There is a lot of lovage here already.

Good to see Verte on the bus this weekend.

Hang in there Lola! Stay close.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Just home from my moonlighting job as a tax preparer. Good night tonight compared to last night. Got through all the clients without serious event. Last night I had one client (married couple) that I spent 3 hours on and still didn't finish - mostly because they had a rental house and they didn't have any documentation with them about their expenses on it. We spent a lot of time with them on their smart phones looking up information for their return. Then I had to fight with the software, which is still a bit glitchy.

Smooth sailing tonight. Zipped out 4 returns in 4 hours, including a young sailor who was filing his first ever tax return. His home state is Arizona and his Dad told him he had to file an Arizona return. This is incorrect, Arizona does not tax military incomes and he did not have to file. He took some convincing that I was right and his Dad was wrong, but we got there.

That's enough on taxes for one post.

Probably too much, but it's on my mind a lot lately.

Bus is filling up with excited and interesting people again this weekend. Glad to be along for the ride!
Old 02-05-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Ruby! Don't talk about chocolate banana bread! Now I'm dying for some. I don't have the ingredients, thankfully. I AM cutting down on sweets. Determined to, anyway..
BigS...thank you for the beautiful photos. I want to go there.
Well, this thread got away from me and I can't catch up. So I'll start from here.
Congratulations to you all who are planning another sober weekend....sober weekends are great weekends.
I've got lots planned but intend to check in as often as possible. I celebrate one whole year on Sunday. ..*****!
Old 02-05-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Glimer, hope all's well. You're in the right place by your dad's side I reckon. Lots of strength coming your way via this series of tubes that make up the Internet.

Ruby, sounds like you're getting through the night just fine at home with the kids and banana bread dreams!

Ken, I hear you about those "open" work spaces. I remember the kerfuffle at my old office when we went to "low cubes"...nobody liked the idea! Took me a while to find a job that I can do from home, glad I have it. It's keeping me busy though! And one thing nobody tells you about working from home...it's pretty hard to call in sick, even when you're at death's door!

Nons I am hiring my first ever "tax guy" this year. I found him via one of the big online tax joints. He's been productive and helpful and his rates are pretty cheap. Why did I always do my own taxes again? Just put it in a pro's hands and let them do the heavy lifting. Guys like you can certainly help to put a lot of people at ease Nons, sounds like you are helping out many deserving folks in a big way!

Feeling healthy these days. I was just going over some of my pics from last weekend and I lined up pictures of myself from 2008 & 2009 vs. pictures of me today. I wouldn't say it's a breathtaking transformation, but even an untrained eye can see a huge improvement in my appearance. Quitting drinking cut out all of that extra weight and has allowed me to look just as good on the outside as I feel on the inside.

I suppose I am thinking about appearance more because the big 4-0 is just a month away! I am definitely "taking stock" of myself, my accomplishments, my appearance...and all the possibilities that await. If I continue to live this lifestyle, I will have plenty of healthy and enjoyable years in front of me. That fact alone is enough to keep the bottle away!
Old 02-05-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

All you 40 year old babies we should have a big birthday thread to celebrate when that happens. I'm feeling sensitive since I just hit the big five oh.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Brain, thanks for the recipe but I will pass on the soggy bread. There is just something about it that makes me cringe. Kids threw bread in the sink tonight and I squirmed while fishing it out.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

for nons - warning: video shows some beer drinking, except the tax guy refused a beer because he gave up drinking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMuam1MObtI

I hear ya Rub, soggy bread is worse than worms.

Oh, got a haircut tonight. The lass asked me how I wanted it cut. I said just cut it so that if you saw me walking by you'd wanna jump my bones. She said, "You don't need a haircut."

Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Sunset here tonight while climbing the Road up to our Mesa. Several Hairpin turns best driven Sober.

I've been thinking of this Song version ever since the original got posted recently. Robert Palmer. 2 Guys from 'Duran Duran'. One hot chit Drummer who hangs just behind the beat.

'Bang A Gong' ~ Power Station

-----
Old 02-05-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Chocolate banana bread. When the chocolate is bittersweet and not to much sugar and then super fatty, salty butter. Yum. Ruby, what do you think of zucchini bread? Yum.

LBrain. "You don't need a haircut...you need a magic lamp."???

I'm going to Google 'lovage' shortly.

Great to be here amongst you fine folks, stories etcetera. Thanks for all the great pics and music. Holy WOW Mesa that is gorgeous.

For those who are struggling...it is worth every single moment.

Gilmer, I'm sorry to hear that your Dad is in the hospital. Prayers and heeling thoughts for you and family.

Time to recover my brain and read a little. Atul Gawande.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:28 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by waywardson8260 View Post
I'm in for another sober weekend! Everyone's posts are a great source of inspiration this weekend coming up.
Welcome wayward!!! Good to have you on the sober weekender bus. Welcome to SR!

Is this your first sober weekend?

We can be a rowdy bunch. Post as much as you want! If you need immediate help don't forget to post on the main board as well. These threads can move quick and we don't want you to be missed!

Ken
Old 02-06-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

MM... amazing! Thanks! Your sunset is my sunrise this morning. Let me think its rising.

BigS... kerfuffle ... a seldom used word i will need to work in to my vocabulary. and yes... this goes way past low cubes. This is open desks with a short screen behind each of varying color. The desks can move up and down for those that like to stand. But all in all it is to be "agile" in our development work. We even have small mushroom chairs to pull up to another s desk for a quick conversation. The whole organization is one that is about innovation so everything is rather newish in thinking.

Off to the gym! finally no snow to clear this morning! Then back to relax at home all day. Yeah... maybe do some work in between laundry and the price is right!

K
Old 02-06-2015, 02:07 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey weekend warriors ,

lovely pink winter sky here this morning . Lots of things going on in my mind with mex-m8 selling his house and us contemplating jobs, houses and locations.

Just getting through each day tho , sometimes i think a mortgage and a bigger place might be nice, other times i think some income producing assets would be better as we can probably buy a perfectly decent home cash.
A bigger home just means more heating & power , maintenance , hoovering and dusting and places for clutter to accumulate ..

How lucky am i to have such a trivial problem ?? You can have trivial problems too if you stick with not drinking LoL

Bestwishes, m
Old 02-06-2015, 02:11 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Oh, got a haircut tonight. The lass asked me how I wanted it cut. I said just cut it so that if you saw me walking by you'd wanna jump my bones. She said, "You don't need a haircut."

And you got all that for just $20.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Happy Friday all! This thread moves so fast overnight - I love reading about everybody's sober plans.

Have to do a bunk out of work now and get my car MOT'd - not sure what you call it in the states. Hopefully my Corolla will pass for another year.

Catch up later ye all.

B
Old 02-06-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good Morning Sobersaurs!

For the first time I ever remember I woke up laughing this morning. I was dreaming that Seth Rogen, James Franco, and Jay Baruchel were doing a movie about being wasted and decided to do it while actually being wasted. They hired me to be the sober guy who kept them out of trouble out in public, and they were doing some stupid but hilarious wasted stuff.

Was that my AV trying to sabotage me? I haven't decided yet. I wasn't drinking in my dream, nor was I going to, but maybe I shouldn't find drunken antics as funny as I did. Anyway, I woke up laughing out loud and Mrs. Non thought I had lost my mind.

I have the day off from my reg'lar job and then I go in to do tax prep this evening. Not sure what I'll do until then, but I'll find something! Happy Weekend!
Old 02-06-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I have to say Nons that I can remember waking up laughing several times. Like really laughing not like a just a smile. I cannot remember the details but I remember the mood and how odd it was. Certainly not from drunkin antics. I never found drunk people funny when I was sober. But of course I was always the jokester when drunk. Happy drunk as they say.

For whatever reason you woke smiling keep that smile. They are very contagious and everybody likes a smiling tax man. No?
Old 02-06-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I can't get that earworm of a song out of my head now. Thanks thread! Hahahhaha
Old 02-06-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Have a good and sober weekend everybody.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Good Friday Morning, Weekenders!

I think I'll just plop my butt down and enjoy the ride.

And for the record, I LOVE that song. The one we're not supposed to be singing. lol